PDA

View Full Version : sick garter ( limp )

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
hey everyone, i need some info or help, my garter has been hibernating for 3 months now, just in a regular room with less light and cooler temps. today i was gonna give her some food and she is pretty much lifeless and lays limp with her mouth open. im worried i dont want her to die, just behind her head looks skinnier than normal too, but the rest of her body is still in good shape, shes kinda a dull grey color too.
thanks guys

kibakiba
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
If she was brumating (hibernating) why were you feeding her? I don't believe you're supposed to feed a garter while its brumating because their metabolism slows down and can cause the food to rot in their stomachs. Why has she been brumating for 3 months? That seems a bit early to start brumating, in my opinion. That was back in September... Most people didn't seem to start brumating their garters until late October or November.
I don't know much about brumation, other than what other members have said, but... someone else could give you more information on how to help her. Sometimes when garters are in shed they turn a bit opaque, are her eyes milky looking?

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 07:07 PM
nope her eyes are black and she just lies there limp now.

drache
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
limp and mouth open does not sound good at all
when was the last time you saw her look normal?
you might try a lukewarm soak and see whether that helps, but I am not optimistic from your description
bringing her to a vet would be optimal, but it sounds like transporting her could do her in
definitely raise the temps and make sure she has adequate water
please keep us posted

kibakiba
12-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Is she breathing, or flicking her tongue at all? If you pick her up or touch her does she even move? And have you been feeding her while she was brumating? If you have, I wouldnt be surprised if the food has rotted in her stomach, which if I remember what was said correctly, can kill her.

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
i will, i put her back in her tank with a mild heat lamp on to see if she will respond, she flipped on her side and her mouth isnt open now but lying not moving. i tried the soak and thats what put her into shock i think, yesterday she was fine

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
i did no feed her during brumation, she isnt flicking her tounge or breathing much, 3 months i havent fed her, i got the info from a guide on the net to not feed her for 3 months.

kibakiba
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
A soak in lukewarm water doesn't seem like it would put her into shock unless the water was warmer than that and maybe heated her body too fast. I'm not really sure, though.

guidofatherof5
12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Can you give us an idea of your brumation setup. Substrate, water, temps(important)
Thanks.

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 07:39 PM
well it was about 5C in the room in the basement where i had her and the water would have been room temp for the room, its the coldest room in the house. the only thing is the lighting wasent completely dark

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
the thing is she was moving today and i held her and she moved around. then she just suddenly stopped moving. and hasent moved since, i dont no if shes dead tho caus shes lying there and her eyes are still black

untoucheclipse
12-06-2010, 08:30 PM
i think i gave her a heart attack. geez im sad now :(

HazAnga
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
5 degrees Celsius from what i know might of been too cold, usually around 10-12 c is the key temp during brumating.

guidofatherof5
12-06-2010, 08:36 PM
i think i gave her a heart attack. geez im sad now :(

If you're referring to the warm bath, I doubt that had anything to do with this situation.
Don't be too hard on yourself.;)

ConcinusMan
12-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Limp snake that cannot seem to hold it's head or first 1/3 of it's body up? Oh crud. Not good.

The fact is, snakes die during brumation in the wild, or even in captivity. It's not necessarily your fault. Could have just been the time for that snake to go.

zooplan
12-07-2010, 12:40 AM
5 degrees Celsius from what i know might of been too cold, usually around 10-12 c is the key temp during brumating.
Itīs 5°C (41F) in my fridge and I donīt mind about it.
Itīs a save brumation temperature for all northern species and I always try to keep the fridge beneath 10°C ( 50F).
Of course they must not jump from that to keeping conditions(20°C/68F) in a second, and feeding isnīt necessary untill they are warmed up completely.

Itīs fate of reptile keepers, that some deseases couldnīt been recognized untill thereīs no change of salvation left.

ConcinusMan
12-07-2010, 02:40 AM
I suppose it would depend on the species Udo, but I can say that 41 F is bordering on deadly for T.s. concinnus' especially if they are small one's without much body mass. T. ordinoides can handle it, but not my concinnus'. 45 F is really a rock-bottom minimum for them. They brumate at approximately 60 cm below ground, (Which remains a constant 50 degrees F, all year long within their natural range) or if in a shallower location, they are warmed by decomposing matter.

I definitely worry about sustaining anything below 46 F for any length of time with my red spotted garters. I've lost a few small one's going below that. Brain damage. they go into convulsions and die. I've seen T. ordinoides survive below-freezing temperatures many times with no apparent harm.

It doesn't sound to me like this snake belonging to the OP, died from cold. He was probably already ill or otherwise ready to die anyway.

ssssnakeluvr
12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
if they aren't feeding and you aren't breeding, brumate for a month. the 3 months is how long i brumate for breeding.

ConcinusMan
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
And I usually go with a hundred days, so that's close to what you're saying. The only time I cut it short is for snakes that are quite thin. 41 degrees seems way lower than necessary, even for northern species. I mean, why chance it when 50 degrees is plenty low enough.

drache
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
And I usually go with a hundred days, so that's close to what you're saying. The only time I cut it short is for snakes that are quite thin. 41 degrees seems way lower than necessary, even for northern species. I mean, why chance it when 50 degrees is plenty low enough.Richard - I don't think 50šF is cold enough for parietalis, or radix - mine in any case barely even slow down until it gets down to around 45šF. Not that I have the guts to go lower than that, but I can see that they wouldn't mind

untoucheclipse
12-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Thnks for all the great replys guys. She did die due to my in experience. Im going to frequent this board and ask tons of questions before i keep another.

mustang
12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
flip the snake over do u see green under the ventrical scales? just curious

guidofatherof5
12-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Thnks for all the great replys guys. She did die due to my in experience. Im going to frequent this board and ask tons of questions before i keep another.

It's always a tough time when you lose one.
With so many unknowns it's hard to say what happened.
R.I.P. scrub.

ConcinusMan
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Usually by the time they go limp like you described, they are beyond help, and on their way out of this world. Don't let this discourage you from keeping another. It's not like we haven't all lost some over the years. These things happen in spite of experience and good husbandry. Don't blame yourself.

mustang
12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
flip the snake over do u see green under the ventrical scales? just curious
oh ya im sorry he didnt make it....i am just trying to solve an unresolved issue of mine

drache
12-08-2010, 03:23 PM
sorry you lost your garter

infernalis
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
condolences for your loss.

flickerfriend
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Im really sorry about your loss. I know precisely how it feels.

Stefan-A
12-18-2010, 02:20 AM
Sorry about the loss.

gregmonsta
12-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Sorry he didn't make it.