PDA

View Full Version : Can Ribbons live with Garters?

RedSidedSPR
12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
I know that ribbon snakes are considered garters, and pretty much just slender garter snakes. But can they live with garter snakes? Do any of you keep them? I am looking for a second garter to buy, was thinking I'd wait until Scott Felzer (who lives in my city) was in stock. But petco(I hate them) has a ribbon snake for $20 and that caught my eye. So can they live together?

zooplan
12-03-2010, 10:21 AM
A Ribbon is a kind of Garter, and they could live together if they are same size and same gender!
They also need to have a similar character.
Ribbon Snakes are called to be shy hectically biting and jumping monsters often. Some can become as clam and docile as any other Garter Snake too.

infernalis
12-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Most ribbon snakes are too jumpy.

I think it would really be a gamble as to compatibility or lack of it.

all I'm saying is it's not something I would do.

RedSidedSPR
12-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok, thanks. Just curious.

count dewclaw
12-03-2010, 12:31 PM
My female ribbon is in with some of my female garters. She seems to be doing just fine. I have a large tank with lots of hiding places and fake plants, but she is often basking in a pile with the other females. Actually, she seems to have calmed down since she has been with the garters.

RedSidedSPR
12-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok... this is getting confusing.

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't buy from petco! Don't even darken their doorstep... Crummy stores and they are on their way out! For good reason.

infernalis
12-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Ok... this is getting confusing.

It's getting confusing because what may work for one person may not work for another.

In fact my ribbon is the little brother to Leanne's ribbon snake.

Mine freaks out, hers don't.

RedSidedSPR
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I try to never shop at petco! Even when they had 70% off on a 20 gal, I got petsmart to price match. They are clueless! One was feeding crickets to corn snakes last time! I just can't find garters anywhere else local.

infernalis
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
So relax until spring when Scott can hook you up with sweet captive bred snakes.

RedSidedSPR
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
So relax until spring when Scott can hook you up with sweet captive bred snakes.

I'm doing that. I wasn't asking only because I wanted to buy the snake(I didnt realy), I was just curious...

ConcinusMan
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
I try to never shop at petco! Even when they had 70% off on a 20 gal, I got petsmart to price match. They are clueless! One was feeding crickets to corn snakes last time!

They do! and believe it or not, some of the corns actually eat them. Of course, they waste away and die anyway. They flat refuse to feed them chopped f/t pinkies "because they cost too much" Well yeah, in their store they sure do cost. Also, in every case I've seen their ribbons in any stores, they feed them exclusively on feeder goldfish.:rolleyes: "That's all they will eat" they tell me. Garter poison. These are WC ribbons too. No telling what they've been through. Not worth 20 bucks if you ask me. The only time I was halfway tempted to get one is when they had been there for a long time, one still looked very healthy, and they marked down to $5. Still didn't get it.

petco won't even hold reptiles very long around here. They admit that the food and environment is not sustainable for their critters, is meant to be only temporary, and therefore won't keep them long even if they survive.

RedSidedSPR
12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Petsmart is way better. At least they feed them right. I know because I've watched the employess(I know them all) feed corns pinkies, anoles and dumpies crickets, and the big ol' columbian boa small mice.

infernalis
12-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I avoid those chain stores.

RedSidedSPR
12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't have any local stores!

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Most of the ribbon snakes they are selling are already not very healthy due to stress related issues. Ribbon snakes are generally very nervous and putting them into those small cages makes matters worse. I wouldn't give petco a single cent for ribbon snake.

mustang
12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
They do! and believe it or not, some of the corns actually eat them. Of course, they waste away and die anyway. They flat refuse to feed them chopped f/t pinkies "because they cost too much" Well yeah, in their store they sure do cost. Also, in every case I've seen their ribbons in any stores, they feed them exclusively on feeder goldfish.:rolleyes: "That's all they will eat" they tell me. Garter poison. These are WC ribbons too. No telling what they've been through. Not worth 20 bucks if you ask me. The only time I was halfway tempted to get one is when they had been there for a long time, one still looked very healthy, and they marked down to $5. Still didn't get it.

petco won't even hold reptiles very long around here. They admit that the food and environment is not sustainable for their critters, is meant to be only temporary, and therefore won't keep them long even if they survive.
they ENCOURAGE FEEDING CRICKETS TO SNAKES THEYRE MORE THAN JUST CLUELESS!!!!!!!!

guidofatherof5
12-06-2010, 06:03 PM
they ENCOURAGE FEEDING CRICKETS TO SNAKES THEYRE MORE THAN JUST CLUELESS!!!!!!!!

It's just handed down information from one employee to another or manager to employee. They don't think to check into it to see if it's what's best.
When a customer comes in and trys to help they take offense and keep doing things the way they've always been done.:mad:

mustang
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
it's just handed down information from one employee to another or manager to employee. They don't think to check into it to see if it's what's best.
when a customer comes in and trys to help they take offense and keep doing things the way they've always been done.:mad:
reformation reformation

RedSidedSPR
12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
THEY SUCK!!! If I had a local pet store, I would never even consider PetCo and maybe not even petsmart! (mine is ok, believe it or not, they take pretty good care of the animals etc. and I know the employees.) but I have no choice.

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
It's just handed down information from one employee to another or manager to employee. They don't think to check into it to see if it's what's best.
When a customer comes in and trys to help they take offense and keep doing things the way they've always been done.:mad:

Usually, yes. But to my surprise, I was very pleased when the petco near my house actually listened to me and stopped feeding goldfish to their ribbon snakes and started feeding them F/T silversides. This was after I brought some concinnus babies, my blue anery's, and my iowa albino radix in and showed them off. I think after that, they could see I had healthy snakes and I knew what I was talking about.

guidofatherof5
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
That's great for those snakes. To bad you can't send a memo to all the other stores.

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't think corporate would go for it. All the stores that have ribbons would have to open a pack of silversides and I'm sure not all the snakes will go for them. They just got lucky at this store because the 3 ribbons they had there weren't very nervous and so went for the silversides as the clerks wiggled it using tongs. Or so they tell me. I don't think they even asked for permission from management to do it. Furthermore, they are still feeding baby corns on nothing but crickets. Now, they feed the few kings they get in once in a while on pinkies, and the ball pythons get live adult mice. The baby corns are too small for whole pinkies but I guess the thought never occurred to them, to chop up the friggen pinkies for cryin' out loud! Naturally, every time they get a few baby corns in, I come back in a few weeks to a month, and any that are left are nearly too far gone to save. Skin and bones. I saw a really nice lavender "ghost" corn or whatever they are called, newborn, wasted away to nothing.

Heck, they have to open coconut fiber or reptibark substrate and use it in the store but management, corporate, or whoever, makes them use a pathetically small amount. Like 1/2 inch or less. Ridiculous.

In this economy, and the prices they charge, the store is always just dead. almost nobody goes in there. I think their days are numbered.

kibakiba
12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
The pet shop we go to, while they charge a lot for everything, they seem to take care of their reptiles. They are in small enclosures, but they have a lot of substrate and the people who work there are always interacting with them and bringing them out and letting them walk around the room, especially with the larger reptiles since they are in pretty small areas for their size.

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Actually, what they are doing (letting them out and such) isn't necessarily, and I say "necessarily" a responsible thing to do. Seems to me that if the enclosures are too small, the responsible thing to do would be to put them in larger enclosures.

kibakiba
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Well, they have limited space, there's barely any walking room in there, so I think it's mnice of them to let the animals get exercise since they do have limited space. At least they're TRYING to do something for them. Quit being so negative all the time.

ConcinusMan
12-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Sorry if I sounded negative. perhaps I was wrong. In the summer or any other time when it's at least 60 degrees outside, I take my biggest snakes out and let them go for it out on the lawn. I let them "run" while keeping a close eye on them, so they can get some serious exercise. I think it's good for them.