PDA

View Full Version : Best diet and schedule?

RedSidedSPR
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
What do you reccomend as the best diet and schedule for my red sided garter snake? I cant afford pinkies, and so far he has only eaten fish(im working on worms as soon as he comes out of his short hibernation which im starting next week.

guidofatherof5
11-18-2010, 09:09 PM
That question can have many answers.
I feed 70% worm, 30% mice. Once in a great while I feed some salmon. It works well for me but most keepers have their own ideas. I feed strong on the worm side since that is the main food source for my radixes.
My adults get fed twice a week(smaller meals) Babies eat 3-4 times. This is what works for me but I'm sure others have differing opinions.
Once you've established your snake and know what they will eat you can work on a schedule and which food to cycle in.
Just my opinion.;)

kibakiba
11-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I feed mine a few pieces of fresh tilapia, coho salmon, pinkie parts and worm every 2-3 days.

RedSidedSPR
11-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Ill see what and how much he eats after hibernation and work on that. I just didnt want to overfeed or underfeed him.

guidofatherof5
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Whatever you do don't let the snake set the schedule.
My pigs would like to be fed twice a day:D every day.;)

RedSidedSPR
11-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Right...that's not gonna happen. He dosnt eat much at all:D

gregmonsta
11-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I feed salmon or trout and pinkies and fluffs. Approx 60% fish to 40% rodent every four days. It average about one pinky and 2-3 pinky sized chunks of fish for my males ;)

guidofatherof5
11-19-2010, 11:53 PM
I feed salmon or trout and pinkies and fluffs. Approx 60% fish to 40% rodent every four days. It average about one pinky and 2-3 pinky sized chunks of fish for my males ;)

I must ask "fluffs":confused:

kibakiba
11-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Maybe he means fuzzies?

gregmonsta
11-20-2010, 05:49 AM
Fluffs/fuzzies :rolleyes: they get called both over here.

guidofatherof5
11-20-2010, 08:12 AM
My vocabulary has expanded by 1.:D Thanks.

ConcinusMan
11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Your snake will let you know. We can't possibly tell you what his best diet and schedule will be. Each of my snakes is different. I have one adult concinnus that won't eat anything but fish but I still trick her into eating pinkies from time to time. She could eat silversides or trout once a week and stay thick. Another only eats pinkies and can eat two or three times a week and stay on the thin side. Another likes to eat worms nearly every day and a fuzzy or two once a week. She's really thick too, and occasionally wont eat for a couple of weeks.

Generally speaking I'd say that a good stuffing of fish once or twice a week is probably enough for an adult but a thick snake can easily go without eating for several weeks with no harm. Babies should eat frequently, perhaps every other day. I try to feed very young or very thin snakes as often as they'll eat. Others such as thick adults, can remain thick and healthy with only one feeding every week or two. Any more often, and they can become overweight. There is no rule for frequency and diet. That depends on the individual snake and varies at different times of the year.

RedSidedSPR
11-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks