PDA

View Full Version : Can I skip brumation?

RedSidedSPR
11-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Im not sure if my red sided garter snake is preparing for hibernation or not, but it will be VERY hard for me to hibernate him. I have no basement or anything cold enough. Is it possible for me to skip brumation, even if he is preparing?

HazAnga
11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
like i said in your other post you could easily turn your lights and heat sources off and throw a blanket or towel over the tank for a few weeks. then after remove the towel and slowly add your light and heat again and that should jump start him again.
And you will know if he's wanting to brumate because he will just stop eating.

infernalis
11-14-2010, 08:37 PM
It's not necessary to brumate unless you have breeding plans.

I only brumate a few of my snakes, most of them just keep going year round.

guidofatherof5
11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
It should also be noted that brumation increases the chances of breeding but isn't necessary. I have plenty of females that have babies that don't brumate but breed anyway.
As Wayne has said many times, "life will find a way"

HazAnga
11-14-2010, 09:16 PM
that is true, but could if a garter goes off feed then could you not lower your heat and throw a towel over the enclosure to try to restart their system so that hopefully they will feed again once light and heat are returned?

and Steve I believe that the male snakes can be just as horny as any male human lol :p

guidofatherof5
11-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I have never done that. I'm sure it would help.
My snakes that go off food due to seasonal change and the approach of brumation time have always started back up after a month or so.
I've never had to cool them down to get a restart.

zooplan
11-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Of course you can skip brumation.
If you have no occasion to cool your snakes down sufficient, feeding break should be shortened too.
The energy requirement of snakes is related to the temperature.

It should also be noted that brumation increases the chances of breeding but isn't necessary.

Furthermore brumation will sync fertility clycles of both mates and birthdays become predictable more precise.

RedSidedSPR
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the answers. He has stopped eating, so im guessing he is preparing (thats why I asked). im not breeding, as I have only one snake. Ill try the blanket thing.