PDA

View Full Version : Refusing to eat.

JayJaw
10-22-2010, 11:38 AM
About three weeks ago I stumbled upon a juvenile eastern garter snake. It was such a late bloomer I decided to take it home fearing it would die from the cold being so young. I established a moderate sized terrarium for it giving it water, shelter, substrate etc. But no matter what I try it refuses to eat. I have tried worms, fish, pinkys, scented pinkys, dead food, live food, feeding dishes, wiggling food with tweezers, and today I tried assisted feeding all to no avail. It refuses anything I give it, no matter how I present it. The snake doesn't seem upset about it's habitat. It's a very docile creature and never gets defensive. But I don't even see it drinking water now. I don't know how to get it to eat. If it doesn't eat it will die and if I release it I'm afraid the cold will kill it. What should I do?

guidofatherof5
10-22-2010, 01:21 PM
More than likely the little one was preparing to brumate and was off food.
It may take awhile for it to start eating again. Be patience with it.
Garter snakes can go a long time without eating. 3 weeks isn't a short time but not critical either.
The snake is probably drinking when you're not watching and will probably eat in the same way.
Use a small dish, put some worms and dirt in. Keep the dirt moist and let the snake go get its food.
It will be more natural for it to hunt in the dirt. Place the food dish on a white piece of paper towel so you can see of any dirt is getting spilled out. If it is than the snake is exploring the dirt and that's a good sign.
You are right about the consequences for this snake if it doesn't eat and it's good you are thinking about it.
Sometimes babies suffer from something called "failure to thrive" I can't tell you why it happens but it could have many causes
I wish you well with your snake and please keep use posted.

infernalis
10-22-2010, 01:28 PM
have you tried live guppies in the water bowl?

http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

Mommy2many
10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Welcome! Sounds like you are trying everything we would suggest for you to try. As Steve said, the baby could have preparing for winter and off food. Mine have been doing that for almost 2 months now. Try keeping the enclosure warm (at about 80 degrees at least) As Wayne suggested, live guppies usually persuade the reluctant eater. Could also be just the snake trying to acclimate itself with it's new surroundings. Good luck; we would all love to see pictures!:D

Odie
10-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi, from Oregon, JayJaw :)

JayJaw
10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Well I haven't tried guppies but I did try rosies. I know I know thiamine fish but it was in a pinch. Ill get some guppies soon to try. He still hasn't touched the worms I buried in a food bowl. Cross your fingers and thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

gregmonsta
10-24-2010, 04:30 AM
Greetings :D

JayJaw
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM
http://picture.vzw.com/mi/580193863_2061438699_0.jpeg?limitsize=345,345&outquality=56&ext=.jpg&border=2,0,0,0

Here he is little guy. He still won't eat I don't know what to do. He didn't touch the worms I had in the dish and he won't eat the guppy's I put in two days ago. I've been running my space heater on and off throughout the day trying to keep his temperature high.

guidofatherof5
10-26-2010, 06:39 PM
I can't see your photo:confused:

JayJaw
10-26-2010, 06:59 PM
How about this? It's a crappy photo anyhow.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t268/johnny_botulism/580193863_2061438699_0.jpg

guidofatherof5
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, I see that one.
Your snake doesn't look too skinny.
I think guppies are your best bet.
Have you tried a small container with a lid? Snake and guppies in with a small amount of water(just enough to let the guppies flop) Cover it with a towel and leave it alone for a few hours.
Hope it helps.

kibakiba
10-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I used a Glad Tupperware container for my persistent eater, Tiny. I put a live baby night crawler, coho salmon and tilapia in the container with him and he ate it all. And I agree with Steve, the snake doesn't look too skinny at all. I wouldn't be too worried. Tiny took a month and one week to start eating, he was a newborn and looked extremely emaciated, and he still made it and is gaining a lot of weight and enjoying the good life, being served salmon and worms at an all-you-can-eat "buffet" :D

Good luck getting him to eat. He's very cute :D

JayJaw
10-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I haven't tried keeping him in with the fish I will try that right now though
Thanks!

JayJaw
10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
He let all the fish die didn't even touch them :(. Trying the same thing with worms again.

JayJaw
10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh my god he escaped! i found him tucked away in a linen closet! Is this a sign that maybe I should brumate? it seems like he was trying to find a burrow.

guidofatherof5
10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh my god he escaped! i found him tucked away in a linen closet! Is this a sign that maybe I should brumate? it seems like he was trying to find a burrow.

Or maybe he wanted some fresh bedding:D

zooplan
10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
What is the weather like in your area?
Maybe all the other snakes around you are already asleep.

JayJaw
10-28-2010, 10:15 AM
The weather has been cold today but for the past two weeks has been around seventy degrees all day. I have a heat lamp on and run my space heater on and off while I am home so the temp has to be near eighty. I have had him for a month and still can't get him to eat :(. I have tried: earthworms, nightcrawlers, rosys, guppies, zebra danios, slugs, pinky parts. Combined with an endless number of techniques. I'm at my wits end with this one! :D:D:D

guidofatherof5
10-28-2010, 10:33 AM
The weather has been cold today but for the past two weeks has been around seventy degrees all day. I have a heat lamp on and run my space heater on and off while I am home so the temp has to be near eighty. I have had him for a month and still can't get him to eat :(. I have tried: earthworms, nightcrawlers, rosys, guppies, zebra danios, slugs, pinky parts. Combined with an endless number of techniques. I'm at my wits end with this one! :D:D:D

You've got a stubborn one there.:D

I don't mean to be negative but maybe something is wrong with him. An illness of some kind.
Is he still active, tongue flicking. Reacting to movement?(alertness)
How's he look? Does he look overly skinny?

JayJaw
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Nope I see him out and about, he flicks his tongue all the time. Whenever I open the lid he darts under the substrate. He has some scars from being out in the wild but he doesn't look to bad. His body is a normal size too he just will not eat it's so frustrating.

guidofatherof5
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Tonight,
cut up a few worms into chunks. Put it in a lid or something small. Put it under the hide at lights out time. See if any are gone in the morning. Make sure the chunks are small enough that they don't crawl out of the lid you use.
Just another idea for you to try. Hope it helps.

JayJaw
10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Will do thanks!

ConcinusMan
10-31-2010, 11:38 AM
The weather has been cold today but for the past two weeks has been around seventy degrees all day. I have had him for a month and still can't get him to eat :(.

It was warm enough for snakes to be active outside, and he won't eat. So why didn't you release him? You took this snake home because you were concerned about him not surviving outside in the cold. Well I can tell you that the species as a whole has survived just fine without our help. I can also say that around 80% of the babies do not survive their first winter. No big deal. 50% of the survivors die every year thereafter. However, around 100% of snakes that won't eat in captivity eventually die.:cool:

He could have already had a safe place to spend the winter, just mere feet from where you found him. His not eating could be because he's probably ready to brumate. The heat you're providing at this point, is only speeding up the rate at which he burns calories, and therefore making him lose weight faster. Not trying to make you feel bad, your heart is in the right place, but I don't think there was a need to interfere in the first place.