PDA

View Full Version : Found a brown snake!

booyabazooka
10-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi! I just found this forum via stumbling upon this thread (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/garter-snake-lounge/6307-my-little-brown-snake-storeria-dekayi.html).

I just discovered what I believe to be a brown snake (photo attached, hoping somebody can confirm this) on my floor. A pleasant surprise, because living near downtown Atlanta I don't see much wildlife other than rats and roaches.

I made a spontaneous decision to keep it, and having no experience caring for reptiles, I'm looking for tips. I temporarily have it in a small bowl with some wet leaves, covered in plastic wrap with holes poked in it, and I'm just hoping he can't get out :) Looks like off the bat I'm going to need a ~5 gallon tank, a UTH, and some worms/slugs?

Stefan-A
10-21-2010, 07:19 AM
I'd say there's a serious risk that the snake will escape from its current enclosure, if it hasn't already.

booyabazooka
10-21-2010, 07:57 AM
I was concerned about that myself... but it stayed in there all night so far, so I don't think it will be going anywhere before I can get home with a proper enclosure.

guidofatherof5
10-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Yes, that's a Storeria dekayi: HerpNet.net - Iowa Reptiles and Amphibians - Brown Snake - Storeria dekayi (http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetology/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=26)

A different home is definitely needed. Those little guys are escape artists.
You are right on target with the slugs and worms.

infernalis
10-21-2010, 09:07 AM
A 10 gallon has more room and costs half as much as a 5 gallon (go figure?)

Wal Mart has 10 gallon tanks for about $12

Judging by the picture, you have a very young Dekayi (brown snake) so I highly recommend looking under some rocks in a damp area for some small slugs and baby worms.

This species does not require a heat source, in fact outside in nature they seek refuge from the hot sun and prefer to hunt for food at dawn or dusk when it's cooler out.

My observations (we have a very thick Dekayi population on my property) is that these snakes are always the last ones I find each fall and the first ones I find every spring.

Best of luck with your little one.

booyabazooka
10-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reponses. I have the habitat situation under control, but I'm still not sure about food. There isn't really any slug-hunting area available nearby - my environment is rather urban, and it hasn't rained in a while. Are there places that sell slugs?

infernalis
10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
No place I know of sells slugs...

you may have to drive to a park and look for some.

Odie
10-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi, from Oregon, booyabazooka :)

Selkielass
10-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Hello and welcome!
I'm from Michigan and we still have slugs here under rocks and such- I'd agree with Stefan about trying a nearby park.

Some people have discussed keeping a slug colony, but the details given were sorta sketchy. Put them in a *very* escape proof container. Feed lettuce, cabbage and other veggie stuff slugs like to munch on in gardens. I think they like slightly cool temperatures.
A terrarium set up in a gallon deli jar might be a good starting point.

Mommy2many
10-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Welcome! And you have a precious little Dekayi there! They are wonderful; snakes to have. Where do you live? They love slugs and will adapt to eating worms. PM me and I'll tell you how to set up slug collection for winter. Good luck! They also love to hide. Being so small, they are probably more of an expert on "investigating" outside of their enclosure than bigger garters. Get him into a safer place fast!

infernalis
10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Hello and welcome!
I'm from Michigan and we still have slugs here under rocks and such- I'd agree with Stefan about trying a nearby park.

Are you really sure Stefan said that??:D;)

Selkielass
10-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Oops! Sorry about the misquote!!

booyabazooka
10-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, I have some red worms. He's interested, but I think they're still too big for him. I'd say the worms are about the same diameter as the snake, and about half his length.

I put one in last night, and he bit into it - then the worm kind of wrapped itself around the snake (I really need to name this thing), and the snake then backed off.

Just now, though, I tried cutting one up, and I got him to eat a fourth of one! So, that's some progress, I guess.

infernalis
10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Just now, though, I tried cutting one up, and I got him to eat a fourth of one! So, that's some progress, I guess.

Great news.... :D

guidofatherof5
10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Red worms are toxic to garter snakes.
Night crawlers and earthworms are the safe worms for garter snakes.;)

booyabazooka
10-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Red worms are toxic to garter snakes.
Night crawlers and earthworms are the safe worms for garter snakes.;)

It's a good thing this isn't a garter, then?

infernalis
10-24-2010, 12:04 AM
My Dekayi have eaten red worms with no ill affects in the past ;)

Baby night crawlers are a great choice if you can get them.

kibakiba
10-24-2010, 06:49 AM
I'd stay on the safe side and not feed them red worms, ever. I don't know much of anything about them, but I cant imagine those being good for it. Night crawlers would be best, many bait shops sell them and they are easy to keep. I have about 60 night crawlers and I breed them, my snakes love them and eat them every few days with salmon and tilapia.

booyabazooka
10-24-2010, 11:20 AM
The only night crawlers I saw at the pet store were huge - do you have any small snakes that you feed these to? Do you have baby nightcrawlers, or feed them pieces?

infernalis
10-24-2010, 11:40 AM
The only night crawlers I saw at the pet store were huge - do you have any small snakes that you feed these to? Do you have baby nightcrawlers, or feed them pieces?

Sometimes pieces work, but some snakes need to see movement to to get them to take interest in the worm.

I'd say it's worth it to try cutting up a night crawler and offering the pieces.

booyabazooka
10-29-2010, 09:43 PM
It occurred to me that my terrarium is not currently in a position that gets much light most of the time - Do I need to make sure that this snake gets sunlight?

guidofatherof5
10-30-2010, 07:12 AM
It occurred to me that my terrarium is not currently in a position that gets much light most of the time - Do I need to make sure that this snake gets sunlight?

It can't hurt but isn't a great necessity. You must be careful of direct sunlight as it can overheat an enclosed space very quickly.

infernalis
10-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Dekayi snakes do not really care much for sunlight, They spend the large part of the day under things and prefer to forage for food in the early AM and dusk hours.

This may be attributed to the fact that snails and slugs also avoid direct sunlight, and that is the primary prey, It's risky that any direct sunlight can elevate temps in the enclosure to lethal levels very quickly.

Mommy2many
10-31-2010, 03:40 PM
I concur with Wayne. My Dekayi comes out at night mostly, right around dusk, looking for worms or sluggies.

booyabazooka
11-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Maybe snakekeeping is not for me.

I've been offering it red worms, pieces of red worms, pieces of nightcrawler, and a snail. It has taken one red worm piece - that was a week ago.

I figured my nightcrawlers would survive for a little while in the container I got them in - apparently not, because somehow they're all dead (it's been less than a week).

So frustrated.

infernalis
11-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Maybe snakekeeping is not for me.

I've been offering it red worms, pieces of red worms, pieces of nightcrawler, and a snail. It has taken one red worm piece - that was a week ago.

I figured my nightcrawlers would survive for a little while in the container I got them in - apparently not, because somehow they're all dead (it's been less than a week).

So frustrated.

Did you put the container in the refrigerator? A cup of night crawlers will keep for a month in the fridge as is, longer with some moisture added from time to time.

Some Dekayi are shy and will only eat when left alone.

Please post a photo of your current set up, I will be more than happy to look it over and see if there is anything that needs to be done.

Don't give up so easily.;)

guidofatherof5
11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Hang in there.

ConcinusMan
11-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Worms and slugs will die rather quickly if not refrigerated at around 48-50 degrees F. Worms will also sometimes die in the average household refrigerator, which is usually too cold. Most slugs I've found can survive weeks at near freezing and won't need to be fed at those temperatures. At room temperature, they'll starve if not constantly fed, and they really need to be kept cool anyway.

Some worms keep better than others. Canadian night crawlers keep rather well in the fridge but I don't usually buy more than I can use within two weeks and I put them in the warmest part of the fridge. That would usually be the door, near the top. Keep damp, not wet.