PDA

View Full Version : Terrarium grass

Dragonbeards
10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
So, I was looking at my nice long 45 gallon, and was thinking it would be cool to make it somewhat of a replicate of my backyard (since I have garters in my yard, and therefore know the habitat). And I was wondering, would it be possible to grow grass?

I have done a little research, and it seems feasible, at least for other species. I was thinking I'd put plain potting soil in the tank and dwarf mondo grass, kept to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank (so there will be sufficient went and dry areas for the garters. The water dish will also likely be in the grass). The tank would have a screen top for ventilation, and probably a good long strip light for the length of the tank, most likely with some kind of plant light. Since mondo grass spreads so well, I could just keep a seperate growing tank of it, so when I had to replace it when cleaning, I'd have more grass to put back in.

So is this an okay idea? Is there anything I missed?

guidofatherof5
10-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Sounds doable.
My only concerns would be too much humidity and the introduction of any parasites from the plants and /or soil. Plant toxicity is another issue.
I like the idea of live plants but plastic are far easier to take care of with none of the concerns.
Just my thoughts.

infernalis
10-08-2010, 01:51 AM
The only concern I can think of is most potting soil has chemical fertilizer in it......

Mix
10-08-2010, 05:34 AM
I would be too worried about mites / bugs. 'Lily got them, even though no-one had had any contact with any source that we can think. Go figure. And they are persistent little things. :(

Dragonbeards
10-08-2010, 07:16 AM
The only concern I can think of is most potting soil has chemical fertilizer in it......

I've thought about that. Somewhere around here I know they sell soil without any chemical ferts. My grandmother loves to garden, I'm sure she could find me some.

As for the mites... I don't know. I guess I'd just have to weigh tha against the positives. Other people have tried this before, and seemed to get along pretty okay, so maybe if I got lucky...

infernalis
10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Here is a simple solution.... People do it all the time.

Put the soil in a deep dish baking pan, get it a little wet and then bake it in the oven until you see steam rolling out.

Then let it cool before using it.

This heat and steam will wipe out any parasites / insects / eggs and larvae in the dirt.

Dragonbeards
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Sounds good to me! I'll have to do it a few times, considering the large footprint of the tank, but if it gets rid of any nasties, I'm all for it.

mustang
11-01-2010, 11:45 AM
interesting hmmm if mom would let me put dirt in the oven....probably not

Stefan-A
11-01-2010, 12:43 PM
It'll be a pain in the *** to mow.

Mommy2many
11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
It'll be a pain in the *** to mow.

Good one!

Grow the grass indoors, should be fine. Go the extra mile to "bake" out any buggies. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. My Mother-in-Law has done it as a centerpiece at Easter time. Makes a nice thick carpet, snakes would love it!

mustang
11-01-2010, 06:48 PM
looks like ill have to water my snakes bedding.....hmmm the only st.Augestine thats fire ant free

ConcinusMan
11-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Bad idea. The conditions needed to grow a "lawn" in a tank would not be good for snakes.