PDA

View Full Version : This seems to be not right.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I have noticed this spot on Failtes jaw this last week. At first I though she just had a peice of her bedding stuck to her slobber. But now it is evident that is not what it is. I don't know what it is. Have you seen this before?? Does she need to see a vet or do I need to do something to fix it?? Here are some photos. She is acting normally and ate 2 days ago and tonight. Seems to be no issue there. Oh also it is the color of her substrate. It looks just like it. I use Coconut husk and some bark on top.
Thanks in advance. I am all freaked out. I Know this one is over exposed, but it shows how the scales are different where it is. Her eye specks are pretty awesome though!!!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/Sweet_Malibu/Failte/IMG_0010-1.jpg

And one more...
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/Sweet_Malibu/Failte/IMG_0002-2.jpg
Cute in that one, isn't she??

kibakiba
09-25-2010, 11:15 PM
On a different snake forum someone had the same problem but with a boa, it ended up dying, but the owner didn't do anything about it until it was really severe. They had kept it on the coco husk also and it got a bunch of it stuck all over its mouth and it ended up getting infected. If I were you I'd take her to the vet if you have the time and money, but maybe someone else can give you more info. She is definitely cute! I hope she's okay :)

jere000
09-26-2010, 12:19 AM
That does look like a bit of bedding hardened in his mouth, if left it could cause mouth rot i suggest getting it out with a wet down Q-tip.I would also suggest changing your bedding perhaps news paper or aspen.

drache
09-26-2010, 03:34 AM
never seen anything like it
have you tried picking at it?

infernalis
09-26-2010, 04:18 AM
The curvature of the snakes lip suggests swelling. It looks as if it's pushing in the snakes jaw.

guidofatherof5
09-26-2010, 06:52 AM
It could be a number of things. From a simple mouth abrasion to something more concerning.
If a Vet. is available and that gives you some piece-of-mind, then certainly make an appointment.
Please keep us posted as to the outcome.
Best of luck.

gregmonsta
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
I would definately see a vet asap .... especially if stomatitis is a possibillity.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
I will try and do a little picking at it today. We live in a VERY small town and there is no emergency vet available except for farm animals. If I cannot seem to break it loose myself (this is most likely, cuz I don't want to make it worse or hurt her) I will take her to a vet tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas :)

ConcinusMan
09-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I have seen that enough times and it wasn't too serious but if it gets worse I would be concerned. Keep an eye on it.

Sometimes It helps to use a damp cotton swab and gently remove any material that is lodged in there. I think this is just from the snake rooting around.

Mommy2many
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Let us know how it works out. Hope she is OK.

Thamnophis Man
09-26-2010, 06:42 PM
A Q-tip with hydrogen peroxide wipe it once or twice a day. I had a couple snakes with mouth rot and both have recovered. Usually a cause from a mouth injury mostly from a fighting over food incident and gets infected.

ConcinusMan
09-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I agree. Good treatment. I just think the snake got some substrate in an abrasion in the mouth. Sort of like a lip splinter. Not serious yet. treat it and it could be no big deal.

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
09-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Okay, I have a resolution to this problem. Yay!!! I got her out today and pinned her down. On hand I had some Q-tips and Hydrogen Peroxide. Failte was a good patient. She let me pick at it and wipe it with the q-tip. She gave me no trouble and the offending piece of bark is gone. So I am feeling MUCH better now. I am going to keep my eye on the area, watch for infection. But I am glad it is gone. This is not the best photo. She let me hold her still, but when I was done, she wanted to get down and explore :) You can see the scales look normal again too. I guess they were just being pushed against.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk243/Sweet_Malibu/Failte/IMG_0002.jpg

drache
09-27-2010, 04:21 AM
good job
glad you got it off

guidofatherof5
09-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Good job.;)

infernalis
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Very good news.. Congrats

Mommy2many
09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Great job! Don't they just have the cutest faces??? Ever???

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Great job! Don't they just have the cutest faces??? Ever???

I know, those faces melt me :) I am so glad it is taken care of, I was very worried. I am also glad she didn't fight me, that would have made it worse.

ConcinusMan
09-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Glad all is well. :)

Odie
09-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Does she have a lissssp :rolleyes:

Mommy2many
09-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Does she have a lissssp :rolleyes:

Snake humor! Ha!!!