PDA

View Full Version : feeding worries

Pinky
04-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It's been two weeks now since mr. pink ate last (1 goldfish):rolleyes: . I've been trying to feed him pinkies with no success. I'm going to try to get some minnows or guppies but would really like to get him on mice....any ideas-he is a wild caught snake and i'd imagine they're a little harder to switch diets.

Pinky
04-19-2007, 08:16 PM
WOOPS sorry all, i checked at around 7:30pm and it was still there, but i just snuck in for a peek and NO pinkie.I'm so stoaked!!!

Cazador
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
My advise is to just put the pinkie in the enclosure and walk away. Then come back and check around 7:45pm. That should do the trick! ;)

adamanteus
04-20-2007, 05:36 AM
I'm delighted to hear that Mr. Pink is eating mice! Good advice that, Rick, what we would do without you?:rolleyes: It's a shame I wasn't on line when this was posted...I would have recommended 7.45pm as a good time for feeding Mr. Pink too!:D

drache
04-20-2007, 06:58 AM
you guys . . .
I would have said 8:00pm
but then I'm always trying to compensate for all that German precision

drache
04-20-2007, 07:00 AM
oh, and of course:
congrats to Mr Pink - a good meal!

GarterGuy
04-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Congrats on getting Mr. Pink to take pinks....ok that was strange. Anyways, if you still end up with some problems getting him to take them, try scenting the pinks with some fish (since he's already taken fish before).
Roy

Pinky
04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
thanks. i'm so glad he ate, i really wanted him to get a feed before he went into his new encloser. hey drache don't worry i know all about German precision. mom & dad imagrated!!!!

Thamnophis
04-20-2007, 07:16 PM
So you see, do not worry to fast.
Snakes have to settle in and can do easily without food for a few weeks.
More important is that they have hidingplaces, the right temperatures and are undisturbed for a number of days.

bionicmomma
05-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and I have a a concern about my little garter. He's about 12 or 13 inches long so not very old. When I first got him he wasn't interested in eating, but then after discussing how to with his former owner he suggested using chopsticks and it worked like a charm! He ate well for two weeks, shed, and hasn't eaten since. Its been close to 3 weeks since he ate. Any suggestions? He was eating thawed out pinkies just fine and now nothing. I have tried senting the pinks and leaving the pink with him for several hours and yet nothing. I am a little bit of a worry wort but I am concerned. :confused:

GarterGuy
05-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey Jen, welcome to the forum. As far as your checkered not eating....there could be a ton of reasons why. What temp. are you keeping him at? Too cool temps. will slow them down and they usually won't feed.....too high temps. can also stress them with the same result. Has anything else changed with him? Less activity, change in caging or where the cage is set? Have you tried giving him other prey items, like fish? Sometimes the flopping movement of a fish will get a problematic feeder "in the mood". I'd use rosies or platies, not goldfish. For the most part, as long as he's got good weight, is active and has no other outward signs of any problems....snakes can go quite a while without eating. Three weeks is kind of long though for a garter. Hope this helps some.
Roy

Cazador
05-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I definitely agree with Roy. I think your little garter isn't currently interested in pinks. Try offering worms or fish. The first goal is to find a scent that is irresistable and gets the garter eating again. Then you can get it back on rodents, if you choose to. Sometimes it makes a big difference if you offer live fish in shallow water, so that their back/fins disturb the water's surface when they swim. The smell and motion is often more than a garter can resist ;). Keep us posted, okay?

Rick

bionicmomma
05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Thank you SO much! I called the East Bay Vivarium today as well and they suggested that I should check my heat. I have one side of the tank that stays about 78-80 degrees and the other side is the cool side. He spends most of his time under the lamp so I'm going to try getting the heat on the one side up a little. Is it necessary to keep the heat up even at night? I'll be getting an under tank heater this weekend for sure. I guess I'll call it my mothers day present! lol.... Thanks again I'll keep you posted!
~Jenn

GarterGuy
05-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Actually Jenn, it's really better to allow the garters to cool off at night. I'd put all the heaters on a timer, so that they all turn off at night. Yeh, your temps. do sound a bit low, and especially if your snake is constantly sitting on the heated side of the tank.....he's telling you he's cold. I usually try to have my "hot" temps. in the mid 80's or so, with the average tank temp. in the mid 70's or so. Also, you're going to want to make sure that your little guy has hiding places on both the cool side and warm side of the tank, so ha can choose where he feels most comfortable. Good luck with him!:D
Roy

Nova89
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
I used to just drop the flopping fish in front of the garter's face and he ate immediately. That really helps.

bionicmomma
05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Thank you so much guys. I am planning on working on the heating situation this week and my daughter and I are going to keep our hands off for a few days and see if the combination works. I am sure things will work out. I had a successful day of feeding snakes, toads, and leopard geckos today, so maybe it's a good sign!

adamanteus
05-12-2007, 03:46 AM
Hi Jenn. Hopefully your checkered will eat was you get the heating sorted out. Let us know how it goes.

Snaky
05-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Welcome here, I think everybody pretty much told everything, so indeed let us know how it turns out.

bionicmomma
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
YAHOOO!!!! I went and got a under tank heater and a timer for the light and the heater, let him stew for a few days with the new found warmth and he was MORE then happy to eat today!!!! YAY!!! I'm SO happy!! Thank you SO much for advice to a very worrisome mommy like me! *doin the happy dance*

~Jenn

adamanteus
05-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Great news Jenn, I'm really pleased for you. well done.

Cazador
05-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Way to go, Jenn! Most of the time, the problem has more to do with the temperature (or some other environmental factor) than it does with the snake, itself. Congrats, and be sure to include a thermometer, so it doesn't get too hot in there. It should be less than about 90F for normal situations. Cheers,

Rick

bionicmomma
05-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks! I will be sure it doesn't get too warm. He seems muuuuch happier since the heat under the tank has started and now that it's on a timer, I'm not leaving his light on until 1am while I study! I am so pleased he's eating!
~Jenn

GarterGuy
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Very cool....great to hear your little one is eating for you now. Sounds like everything is to his liking now.
Roy

bionicmomma
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Two successful feedings which is a great sign. I am leaving for a field studies trip to Africa in a week and I hope he keeps eating for his snake sitter!

Maybe you guys could answer me this... He's albino, so is it unsafe to take him in the sun? I would never leave him exposed, but for small periods of time I thought he might like it.

Thanks again!
~Jenn

Cazador
05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to expose him to direct sunlight. It wouldn't do any harm to keep him in the shade, though.

Rick

bionicmomma
05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks! Now hopefully I wont get sunburned on my trip! I'll be back in a month! Thanks for your help!
~Jenn

adamanteus
05-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Enjoy your field trip to Africa, Jenn. Bring back loads of pictures! See you in a month.