PDA

View Full Version : Injecting your snake

Laura
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Okay, I had a phonecall from my other half who has just taken Lola to the vet and we have been issued some antibiotics in pre-loaded syringes.

How on earth do I do this???

Simple step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated

Odie
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I gently lift the top jaw with the syringe. Then push gently back so the tip is at the back of the mouth and slowly squeez :eek:

Laura
09-02-2010, 12:23 PM
No I mean injecting into the skin :eek:

Odie
09-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry can't help there :(

guidofatherof5
09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
You first need to know were the Vet. thinks it should be done. He or she should be able to give you the instruction.
Please don't take my post wrong. I want to help but your Vet. should be able to tell you the procedure especially if they are sending the medicine home with you.;)

Snakers
09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I honestly think the vet should do it!

ConcinusMan
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
They'll usually show you one time before sending you home. They don't just give you the stuff and expect you to know how.

drache
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
the injections usually go into the long muscle next to the spine about a third of the length from the head, and you go in at a slant between scales
it's a good idea to eliminate air bubbles in the fluid you are injecting, by holding the syringe with the needle pointing up, tapping it to dislodge bubbles stuck to the barrel, and moving the plunger just enough to get a tiny squirt
go slow and shallow on the insertion, and then push the plunger in slowly and steadily
be aware that some snakes don't like this very much and jerk around - that's the hard part

ConcinusMan
09-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Oh no, all of my snakes absolutely love it and sit still for it.:rolleyes:

NOT!

Laura
09-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Thank you Drache :)

The vet has shown Mark sort of how to do it, but Mark is useless :P and I'm going to be the one administering the shot so just wanted a few other opinions on a good method