PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a nice garter tank!

Dragonbeards
08-28-2010, 01:26 PM
When I said I was gonna get a garter tank, I didn't imagine anything this big. However, at a garage sale, my grandmother managed to score me a 45g long for $5. It is used, so it has a few scratches, but over all it looks nice, and I'm hoping it will look really snazzy with a few garters in it.

Just gotta figure out how I'm gonna decorate it. I do want to go for the natural look. I was thinking about some plants (like my garg tank, I hope), but wasn't really sure how to go about it because of the odd shape. Footprint of my 55g fish tank (long and real narrow), but shorter. Any ideas?

infernalis
08-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Just remember, simple is easier to clean, and garter snake poop everywhere.

kibakiba
08-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Just from experience, the more you make it look cool, the harder it is to clean it. This is from my own experience. I have lots of sticks and hide areas for my snakes and taking them all out and scrubbing the snake poo that they got on it is such a hassle. I can imagine it'd be harder if they were in an even larger tank because that'd be more to pour out and scrub.

HazAnga
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
I have golden pothos growing in my tank, the stuff grows like wild fire and looks awesome, but when it comes to cleaning the whole tank out (done a couple times a year at most) it can be a pain because it grows certain ways and will not go back that way after. So I usually just cut the them short, and after a while it grows back. but talk about time consuming.

mustang
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
simple=easy maintnance
complicated =not easy to clean,may look super cool but you run the risk of never being satisfied

zooplan
11-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I use photo posters behind the tank and Spartan furnishing.
So they are easy to clean and I can get great pictures, when the snakes a basking on thier kork oak bark pieces.

ConcinusMan
11-28-2010, 10:12 PM
This is pretty simple, looks natural, and is easy to maintain. It's reptibark/coconut fiber mixture substrate, a heavy hardwood driftwood log I found near a creek, cut to fit, and sanded, and fake plants. It was cheap. Nothing expensive. Cozy but easy to keep clean. This one is my 55 gallon long. (featuring big anery and normal concinnus girls)

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4008/dscn0814.jpg

I know you posted a few months ago so this is probably too late a reply. How about an update? What did you decide to do? Pics?