PDA

View Full Version : shells?

chris11
08-28-2010, 01:07 PM
we went to the beach today and i found some shells that i thought looked cool. i was looking through the fourms and didnt see anything about them. how would you go about cleaning them and would they be suitable for a snake?

Tyrel26
08-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I would use flattened shells only (nothing they can try to climb inside of).If you wanted to use a shell like a whelk or something of that sort (a hollow shell) maybe you could pack it full of molding clay. Personally I would boil the shells to kill anything that may be living on them. Also avoid shells with sharp edges.

Im sure the other members will have some helpful info to add.

guidofatherof5
08-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Sanitized, they should be OK. I'm sure the snakes would use them as a shed starter.

Holly
08-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Shells, coconut halves, rocks, I just give them all a goof boil before putting them into any tank.

guidofatherof5
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Shells, coconut halves, rocks, I just give them all a goof boil before putting them into any tank.

Please tell me how to goof boil something. My kids are always calling me a goof, I might as well learn how to boil one.:D

I'm sorry Holly, I just had to.:D

infernalis
08-28-2010, 03:24 PM
One key to the left Holly... ;)

Holly
08-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Shuddup!!!! I blame it on my hands being swollen from my preggo-ness!

guidofatherof5
08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
I apologize. Please forgive me.:rolleyes:
Preggo-ness, interesting word:D

Holly
08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
:p:p:p:p I blame everything on being gravid now, who knew it would affect my motor skills and short term memory so badly!?

Holly
08-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Please tell me how to goof boil something. My kids are always calling me a goof, I might as well learn how to boil one.:D

Goof boil means I have my husband do it:D

chris11
08-28-2010, 05:59 PM
heres a picture of the shells. would they come apart if i boiled them? i just thought they would look kind of cool

kibakiba
08-28-2010, 10:26 PM
They might. I've never boiled a shell before but I can imagine that it might soften up the area that's holding it together. If you want them to stay like that then you could probably dip them in the boiling water and then pull them out, let them sit and cool off and then do it again. Like I said though, I don't know anything about shells. It's just a thought. :)

Mommy2many
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
:p:p:p:p I blame everything on being gravid now, who knew it would affect my motor skills and short term memory so badly!?

I'll tell you from much experience that many brain cells go with each child!:D

Stefan-A
08-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I would use flattened shells only (nothing they can try to climb inside of).
Indeed. Mollusca only, no Gastropoda.

ConcinusMan
09-06-2010, 12:33 AM

Darn, you beat me to it.

Indeed. Mollusca only, no Gastropoda.

In plain English, I think what Stefan is saying is that the flat shells like a clam has, are OK but don't use the spiraling "snail" looking shells.

OK:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Ab_mollusca_35.jpg

Not OK:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/Ab_mollusca_01.jpg