PDA

View Full Version : What Are They?

Coast Ranger
08-27-2010, 06:51 PM
We pulled up a stump and out popped a snake. Then we noticed a bunch of eggs. I didn't know what to do with them, but didn't want to just pitch them in the woods. Then I figured it would be cool to hatch them out. Four or five day later I had a dozen baby snakes, and a couple of questions.

1. What are they? A couple of clues might help. The nest was found in north coastal South Carolina. It was about 5 miles from the coast. The nest was about 30 feet from a pond. They look exactly like the mother. She was about 18 to 20 inches long.

2. What do they eat? BTW, that's how I found this site. I tried wiggly worms, cut up night crawlers, large meal worms and small crickets. I haven't seen them eat anything yet. It's been about 18 days since they hatched.

I'll turn them loose soon, but wanted to see them eat before I did. Any thoughts?

Here's a few shots. Thanks, CR

Stefan-A
08-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Looks like a mud snake (Farancia abacura) to me. If that's what it is, the diet would consist of amphibians, primarily Amphiumas.

ssssnakeluvr
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
yep, mud snakes.

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Those are mud snakes. They have a very specific diet consisting of amphibians, such as salamanders, tadpoles, frogs and sirens. They are amazing snakes, but they are a challenge to feed... I'd be interested in those... send me a PM if you like!

Snakers
08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
very nice snakes definitley muds

mustang
08-28-2010, 06:06 PM
cool i always wanted one...but parents say no and they stink /musk a lot (from what iv heard)

ConcinusMan
08-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Hmm... if I had an unidentified snake, I'm sure the first thing I would do is to handle them, perhaps get bit, and then find out if they are venomous or not.:rolleyes:

but seriously, yeah those are mud snakes (Furancia abacura) not popular pets and not really existing in the pet trade because of the challenge of keeping them in captivity. If it were me, I would release them asap very close to where you found the eggs, and no real harm would be done.

Coast Ranger
08-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Am I foolish? A number of people might argue with me about that. I have a healthy respect for snakes, but not a fear of them. I would recognize any of the venomous snakes I might come across. Because I don’t believe in killing a snake simply for being venomous, I’ve relocated a countless number of copperheads that I’ve found around the house. That goes for door to door salesmen and domestic missionaries as well. :D

That being said, I agree with your sentiment that people should not handle snakes if they don’t know what they are or what they’re doing.

Mommy2many
08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
I would happily keep the copperheads over the salesmen and domestic missionaries. At least they belong there!:D

guidofatherof5
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
I’ve relocated a countless number of copperheads that I’ve found around the house.

Nice:)

Odie
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Coast Ranger :)