PDA

View Full Version : 20 watt CF bulb

abcat1993
04-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Do you guys think that a 20 watt compact fluorescent bulb will be too bright for my snake? I might not even use it if it can't create enough heat, but it probably will be able to.

adamanteus
04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure I'm understanding your question Matt. Is it for use only during the day? If so, I don't think brightness would be an issue, unless it's brighter than their natural light source....the sun! If you're intending to use this as your primary heat source I don't think it will make the grade. Obviously, I'm missing your point.

Sid
04-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Floresent bulbs give off far less heat than incandesent. So, if it is for heat as well as light, I'm not sure it will help you a great deal.

Sid

abcat1993
04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Yes, it would be for heat too. They don't cost that much so I'm not worried about it not working for heat, which might actually work, since I have some 9 watt ones that get hot enough to raise the heat on my newts tank 5-10 degrees (which I stopped using).

Cazador
04-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi Matt,

The CF bulbs might be a nice alternative with summer approaching. They should provide very good lighting and much less heat than conventional light bulbs. Naturally, you would want to replace it, or provide supplemental heating, before next winter. Just keep a close eye on the temperature.

Rick