PDA

View Full Version : Black Head Concinnus

Ameivaboy
08-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Got this fellow in with a shipment earlier this week.
He stood out amongst the other Oregon Red Spots. I think he's pretty cool :)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC07918.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC07915.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC07909.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC07908.jpg

kibakiba
08-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Beautiful little one :)

Snakers
08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
very cool

i_heart_sneakie_snakes
08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
He is really stunning. Congrats on that addition :)

ConcinusMan
08-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Very nice snake. Very typical for snakes found in SW WA or around the Willamette river in Oregon, where it meets the Columbia river so to me, he doesn't stand out at all and is very typical.;) All my babies and most of my adults are that way. Heads are mostly black, and stay that way into adulthood. But I do have babies with lateral stripes, not just dorsal stripes. A polygenic (polymorphism) trait.

As you go south and into NW Oregon, on down to Salem, the heads get more colorful and you start seeing the bright orange heads. I think you have a snake there that is from the area where the Columbia and willamette rivers meet (Portland metro area). That's where all-black heads occur. That "rainbow sheen" also known as "iridescence" on his head is a sign of good health. Even though I can't see the tail, the snake does give me the impression that it is male. Females have a different look about them, even "above the waist"

Watch for scale rot. Not sure if the picture is playing tricks on my eye but something is going on with the area around the neck bend in that pic, maybe. Might have been kept to damp. concinnus like it warm (86-90 degree basking area) and in spite of where they are found (in, or near water) keep them dry!

Good looking snake. Congrats on your new acquisition.:D

guidofatherof5
08-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Great looking snake.
He'd stand out even more if he were living on the Ranch.:D

Ameivaboy
08-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Great looking snake.
He'd stand out even more if he were living on the Ranch.:D

That's possible if you want him. I already have 4 concinnus as permanent occupants at my house.

Ameivaboy
08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Very nice snake. Very typical for snakes found in SW WA or around the Willamette river in Oregon, where it meets the Columbia river so to me, he doesn't stand out at all and is very typical.;) All my babies and most of my adults are that way. Heads are mostly black, and stay that way into adulthood. But I do have babies with lateral stripes, not just dorsal stripes. A polygenic (polymorphism) trait.

As you go south and into NW Oregon, on down to Salem, the heads get more colorful and you start seeing the bright orange heads. I think you have a snake there that is from the area where the Columbia and willamette rivers meet (Portland metro area). That's where all-black heads occur. That "rainbow sheen" also known as "iridescence" on his head is a sign of good health. Even though I can't see the tail, the snake does give me the impression that it is male. Females have a different look about them, even "above the waist"

Watch for scale rot. Not sure if the picture is playing tricks on my eye but something is going on with the area around the neck bend in that pic, maybe. Might have been kept to damp. concinnus like it warm (86-90 degree basking area) and in spite of where they are found (in, or near water) keep them dry!

Good looking snake. Congrats on your new acquisition.:D

You're good, it is a male. Also the person that sent them to me lives in Portland, so you're right on point.

I didnt notice any scale rot on it when I was taking pictures, but I'll inspect him when I get home. I keep all my garters dry, with water dishes they can just barely fit their entire bodies in if they choose.

A couple that came in with the shipment had lateral stipes along with the dorsals, it's different but I prefer the single dorsal stripe red headed specimens.

guidofatherof5
08-20-2010, 10:11 AM
That's possible if you want him. I already have 4 concinnus as permanent occupants at my house.

More joking than anything. What I have will keep me very busy and then there's always more rescues coming in.
Thanks for the offer though.;)

Ameivaboy
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
haha I figured as much, just thought i'd throw it out there. now worries :)

ConcinusMan
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Some have indistinct lateral stripes and some even have pale blue lateral stripes but I'm kinda fond of the one's with very distinct lateral stripes that are the same color as the dorsal stripe. (I like that fitchiii look) Not too common but I did get a few babies like that from my 3 stripe adults, and even a few from a single striped adult. This one is pretty neat in that it has the lateral, AND a light colored underside. It's different. One of a kind out of all those babies.

http://a.imageshack.us/img824/8649/junejuly2010005medium.jpg