PDA

View Full Version : using a minnow trap for snakes

Dameco13
08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I have this funny fealing that there are garter snakes around my house. we have lots of holes in our front yard and I think they may be burrows. I looked of minnow traps and I thought that maybe they could work for a snake. Would they?

Snakers
08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Im not sure i would think the snake is smarter than a minnow and find its way out, and usually garter snakes don't burrow but rather they steal burrows, id say lay down some boards and tarps to attract them

Snakers
08-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I didn't mean steal i meant take abandon burrows

Dameco13
08-08-2010, 07:51 PM
oh. thanks ill try that

Snakers
08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
:)

ConcinusMan
08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I didn't mean steal i meant take abandon burrows

oh. thanks ill try that

:confused:OK, but I don't think you'll fit in there.:p

Garter snakes will certainly take advantage of any hole they can use to escape, that includes burrows made by other animals but the presence of burrows is no indication that there are any snakes around. Snakes do not make burrows.:cool:

Snakers
08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
:confused:OK, but I don't think you'll fit in there.:p

Garter snakes will certainly take advantage of any hole they can use to escape, that includes burrows made by other animals but the presence of burrows is no indication that there are any snakes around. Snakes do not make burrows.:cool:
Jeesh, I didnt want to make it so harsh on a new comer....lol just kidding

ConcinusMan
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty darn sure if there's any snakes around, you have a better chance at spotting one and grabbing it with your hand, than you do at trapping one.

Snakers
08-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm pretty darn sure if there's any snakes around, you have a better chance at spotting one and grabbing it with your hand, than you do at trapping one.
Agreed:D

infernalis
08-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Do like I do, I lay flat stuff (plywood, road signs, etc) down on the ground and just leave it.

after a while there are almost always snakes up under the stuff.

Dameco13
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
I'll just stick with Zippy for now. I hear wild caughts are not as friendly. Not saying they're bad. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Hollis_Steed
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I'll just stick with Zippy for now. I hear wild caughts are not as friendly. Not saying they're bad. I'm sure they have their reasons.
Dont be so sure. My WC T.e.vagrans are much more docile that my CB Radix:)

Snakers
08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree, it depends entirely on the personality of the snake its self.

Chondro788
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Actually I have used minnow traps and caught lots of garters. I used to live across the street from a large field full of snakes, so I would put the traps in the ditch down in the weeds as far down as I could get and checked it once a day. Sure enough a couple times a week I would find a snake. The most at once was 5, they looked to be only about 2-3 months old. This was years ago, but hey I think it will still work!! ;)

Snakers
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Actually I have used minnow traps and caught lots of garters. I used to live across the street from a large field full of snakes, so I would put the traps in the ditch down in the weeds as far down as I could get and checked it once a day. Sure enough a couple times a week I would find a snake. The most at once was 5, they looked to be only about 2-3 months old. This was years ago, but hey I think it will still work!! ;)
What did you use for bait?

Dameco13
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
muahahaha! i knew my theory wasn't completely stupid lol. I'll try it! There is a wood area in the back of my house and I just know it would be perfect for garters. I'll use nightcrawlers as bait by cutting some up and putting in the back of bottle.

kibakiba
08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
My snakes are all wild caught and they are the sweetest little garters you'll find anywhere :P Mama helps me post on the forum almost every day!

infernalis
08-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Word!

I have a few W/C snakes that are as calm and "friendly" as a puppy
and a few CBB snakes that will attack hands on sight.

The only snakes in my collection that ever draw blood are the CBB.

Chondro788
08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
What did you use for bait?

I didn't use any bait. Just the curious always moving garters would go in one of the "funnel" ends and not find thier way out. :)

Dameco13
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
lol

ConcinusMan
08-11-2010, 12:21 AM

Not even true. WC have been some of the most wonderful pets I've ever had. Tame and sweet as can be. It doesn't seem to really make any difference if they are WC or CB. Either can be sweet and tame or nasty, mean, or nervous. WC/CB... makes no difference.:cool: