PDA

View Full Version : new momma and babies

HazAnga
08-02-2010, 03:00 PM
So, I git home from camping this weekend and I spot a babie in the tank. Eventually finding 4 total. So I moved momma and babies to a tank with just thin layer of bark substrate and small water dish. I think she should POP out more Cuzz she's still fairly big. Will she keep poping them out? And how many babies would a albino checkered have her first time. Is it ok that I changed them to a different tank?

kibakiba
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
They could probably have anywhere from 4-30. I think it would be better to take the babies out so the momma doesn't accidentally crush them :) Just sit tight and wait I guess. A more experienced member could give you more info :D

guidofatherof5
08-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Congrats on the babies.
It's hard to know how many without seeing her. If she's a first time breeder and she's a smaller snake she could have somewhere around 12+/-.
We would love to she some pictures when you have time.
By the way moving them wasn't a problem but you should consider separating the Mom from babies. Moms can crush little scrubs sometimes.

HazAnga
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok thanks guys. I've gotta wait till my computer gits back from repair shop before pix are posted. And I will seperate h3r now. She's around 25" long and right now a good 5/8" at her thickest. She's a little over a year old.

HazAnga
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
And I have another question. From time she starts to give birth what's the longest it takes her to finish?

kibakiba
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, I have heard of a snake tanking over 24 hours before, but I remember someone saying it doesn't happen often. I would think maybe a few hours, but I've never had a snake give birth.

HazAnga
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Ahh... so she could be done... but still kinda big... is that common..

kibakiba
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I believe Steve has said that they can look big until they have a few contractions to clean everything out. Just keep an eye on her and see what happens, maybe she'll surprise you with a few more babies! :)
Hopefully your computer comes back soon, I'd love to see pictures of the babies and momma :D

guidofatherof5
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
My females always surprise me. They will show these lumps and continue pushing them down.
It looks like their is something inside but its just the purging process at the end.
You really never know they are done until they get done:D

HazAnga
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Well I hope she surprises me. And she doesn't have any lumps, just still looking kinda big all over. Like she did before I went camping.

guidofatherof5
08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Well I hope she surprises me. And she doesn't have any lumps, just still looking kinda big all over. Like she did before I went camping.

I don't think I explained myself well enough.:rolleyes:
Mine didn't have any lumps either but the contractions made it look that way. Sorry for any confusion:)

HazAnga
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Ok first off I have pictures up, just not here. Nick W Huizenga | Facebook (http://WWW.Facebook.com/hazanga) click photos and the snakes album. Their in there. And secondly I have a concern... I just checked on the 4 babies and one of them is kinda upside down.. picked him up he was ok put him down went upside down again then up and down and he was ok... I'm guessing that's not good... ill check on them in the morning. Thirdly, I know for sure a couple are eating the guppies, they've been dissipearing and I eww an albino eating. so good sign there.

guidofatherof5
08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
The upside down problem may be serious or just a developemental issue that will pass. I've had newborns do some pretty crazy things and then act normal.
Is the snake doing any tongue flicking?

ConcinusMan
08-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey nick, can't see your albums. I sent you a friend request from my facebook account. Check your messages there.

HazAnga
08-05-2010, 04:48 AM
They are all flicking their tongues, they all seem to be healthy, I'm just going to have to git the two regular checkerds to eat, I don't think they have yet

Flicker
08-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I couldn't see a photo's tab either. You need to make sure your photos are marked available for all to see if you want us to be able to look at them. You can also post them on photo bucket and then use the link to post them here.:)

HazAnga
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Lol sorry guys. I'm still laptopless ill try and change ky privacy setting from my phone.. i got one of those cool HTC hero's.

HazAnga
08-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Ok changed you should be able to see my snake pix

ConcinusMan
08-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Yup. I see them now. Wasn't able to notice anything amiss. Looks like a wonderful bunch of healthy snakes as far as I can tell. Thanks for sharing.

Tyrel26
08-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Ok back to your first topic lol. As I posted a few weeks ago my snake took 3 days to deliver her entire family, 1 on a Friday, 2 on the following saturday and 11 on Sunday.
This may be rare but it does happen :)

HazAnga
08-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Well its been 5 or 6 days now. And she ate a fuzzie yesterday.

HazAnga
08-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Well like I had thought... the small female had the 4 babies. The big had 6 babies while I was away this past few days. So this makes 4 albinos and 6 regular checkers. They all look healthy, but... one of the regulars from the first bunch looks like it ate a small piece of the substrate... its kinda on a 45 degree angle inside... I fear it won't make it. But everyone else looks good and healthy. Going to git some more guppies for them. Then will try the pinkie/worm "salad"

Tyrel26
08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
well it may be too late now but it may help in the future, I always remove snakes from the enclosure before feeding. I place them in a plastic container with paper towels for substrate. It also helps to keep your snakes(adults) from snapping at your hands when you reach into the enclosure because they don't expect food in there.

HazAnga
08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I only feed inside the cage as babies. When they git bigger and able to eat a tiny f/t pinkie is when i'll feed them seperatly. Everyone but maybe one ate at least one guppie. And the one with the bit of substrate inside seems to be better so everyone seems as healthy as anything. :)

kibakiba
08-12-2010, 05:43 PM
well it may be too late now but it may help in the future, I always remove snakes from the enclosure before feeding. I place them in a plastic container with paper towels for substrate. It also helps to keep your snakes(adults) from snapping at your hands when you reach into the enclosure because they don't expect food in there.

I feed my snakes in their enclosure and they don't snap at my fingers when I reach in. They do expect food from me almost every day but they only press their little faces to the glass and look all pitiful... But who could resist the cute hungry faces of garters ;)

guidofatherof5
08-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I feed my snakes in their enclosure and they don't snap at my fingers when I reach in. They do expect food from me almost every day but they only press their little faces to the glass and look all pitiful... But who could resist the cute hungry faces of garters ;)

Oh, they've got you trained well.:D
No offense, I'm a sucker for those little faces also.;)

kibakiba
08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Mama has trained me a lot since I caught her... ;) She comes to the top of the tank when she wants out, presses her face against the glass and stares at the thawing cup when she wants food... and poops in the water when she wants it changed :D