PDA

View Full Version : wont eat...

Rook
08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
I havent been around in a while..but I m having issue's with Miami..she wont eat and its getting concerning by this point. Miami is 325g, and has not eaten in about a month now..she appears to WANT to eat, she goes out hunting and giving her "hungry" look, but the second I offer her food she completly avoids it. she shed about a month ago..at that point she had not eaten is just shy of 2 weeks, after her shed I thawed 2 small rodents(it was all I had at the time) as 1 was way to small for her size, she snatched up the one, and refused the other, and since then she is completly avoided all food..she looks at it, but wont take it, if you move it at all she runs away and hides in a corner or tucks her head under her body. we have tried feeding her in other containers, we have tried differnt rodents, we have tried differnt foods, we have tried differnt sizes, different ways of thawing, tried moving it in differnt ways, tried not moving at at all, tried exposed blood to get the smell going etc.. she clearly WANTS the food, but when offered she play total avoidence.

guidofatherof5
08-02-2010, 09:06 AM
If she really wants it than she should be eating. I have snakes go off food for sometimes a month or more during the Summer.
Make sure she's got plenty of clean water and be patience.
One of our favorite snakes(Lucky) just came off a 4 week fast. She does this 2 or 3 times a year.
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

ConcinusMan
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Jeeez, how the heck are people reporting 325 gram snakes? I don't get it. I have a female concinnus that is 3.2 feet long and extremely gravid. I mean, this snake is huge. She's only 220 grams. About 90 days ago, she was only 175 grams *scratching my head*

Rook
08-03-2010, 07:59 PM
lol Miami is a 3.5 foot Marcianus, and yes she is 325g, and still shedding every couple of months too, she is a BIG girl!

thanks steve, that make me feel much better! she has such a healthy appitite that I was freaking out wondering what was wrong with her! but I have no idea what she normally does in the summer seeing as this is the first summer I have had her.

guidofatherof5
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
lol Miami is a 3.5 foot Marcianus, and yes she is 325g, and still shedding every couple of months too, she is a BIG girl!

thanks steve, that make me feel much better! she has such a healthy appitite that I was freaking out wondering what was wrong with her! but I have no idea what she normally does in the summer seeing as this is the first summer I have had her.

You're in the discovery and learning stage of this snake. I would suggest you keep a log. This way you don't have to rely on memory. I used to just use my memory then............what were we talking about:D
Keeping a log will let you see patterns take shape in things like feeding, shedding, breeding, size, weight. It's nice to have it written down.

Rook
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
my memory sucks, I dont remeber what I ate yesterday nevermind anything else! I keep detailed records with herp care software :p

guidofatherof5
08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
my memory sucks, I dont remeber what I ate yesterday nevermind anything else! I keep detailed records with herp care software :p

I must ask, what software and how much did it cost?

ConcinusMan
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I would think that any records keeping software would do.

@ Rook, I forgot to take that into consideration. That your snake was a gianormous checkered. I'd bet if my snake gets to 3.5 feet,(very likely) and is not gravid, she still wouldn't weigh nearly as much as Miami.

guidofatherof5
08-04-2010, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=ConcinnusMan;138278]I would think that any records keeping software would do.
QUOTE]

Simply seeing what's being used.
All software is not alike.

Rook
08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
free, I just downloaded this:
Herp Care Software : http://www.thegeckocam.com : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/tucows_329118_Herp_Care_Software)

Selkielass
08-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Hmmm...Having trouble entering data, and now it just froze up and crashed on me!
It doesn't seem to like my system.

Hollis_Steed
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
free, I just downloaded this:
Herp Care Software : http://www.thegeckocam.com : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/tucows_329118_Herp_Care_Software)
Has anyone else used this software? It does look interesting.

Rook
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Hmmm...Having trouble entering data, and now it just froze up and crashed on me!
It doesn't seem to like my system.

really? I am been using it since I got Rook in '07, never had any issues with it lol

I do like it, it records all your data, and you can set up each snakes feeding schedual, and it will pop up with a list of who needs fed that day :p