PDA

View Full Version : Feeding during shed

Kevinh583
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
My wc ribbon just started its first shed since moving in with me. On Friday I noticed its eyes became a little milky and by Saturday they were pretty blue. I was scheduled to feed it Saturday and figured I would attempt to feed even though it was in the process of shedding. Sure enough she poked her head out when I held the fish close to the hide and despite a little trouble locating the meal she gobbled up a couple fish.

I later worried this might not have been a smart move since I’ve read on this forum that snakes usually do not eat when preparing to shed. So now I’m wondering if eating could interfere with the shed or cause any kind of complications or discomfort. Also does the fact that she would even try to eat during this vulnerable state mean that I am not feeding enough/often enough? I had been feeding every 3 days initially but I’ve slowed that down to once every 6-7 days because I noticed a significant increase in size over a few weeks and figured I might be overfeeding. Or is this completely normal and am I making an issue out of nothing?

Hollis_Steed
07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
In my group of snakes it depends entirely on the individual snake. I've had one snake stop eating a week prior to shedding and not eat again until two weeks after his shed. Then he picked right up where he left off by being a great, consistent eater. I have another snake that can be blue eyed as can be and still be a consistent eater. I don't see that it can do any harm if they want to eat while preparing to shed.

infernalis
07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
No problems... some snakes will eat just fine while in shed.

guidofatherof5
07-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I have radixes that eat while in opaque phase.
I have to move the food to them as their vision is not very good.:D

ConcinusMan
07-26-2010, 02:34 PM
My Amy (radix) only refuses food once or twice while preparing to shed. Just a day or two when she won't eat.

My red-stripe northwestern (she'll get a name eventually) and one male concinnus eats while blue sometimes. It doesn't hurt anything. A good stuffing once every 7 days is plenty for a good sized adult. If you want to give them a sense of the seasons and reduce the temperature to 60-70 F for a few months in the winter, a small meal every two weeks is plenty often enough because their metabolism slows and they don't burn as many calories. Every 3 days is a frequency that's good for small rapidly-growing snakes that are kept warm, or for snakes that only eat worms/slugs.

Kevinh583
07-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I really was worried about nothing. I took her out for a pre-shed swim and when she went back under her water dish (new favorite hiding place) the back half of the skin caught the edge of the dish and came right off. Later in the evening I noticed her rubbing her face against the dish and that took care of the front half.

I can't believe how good that shiny new coat of paint looks. btw, is it ok to let a snake swim in tap water. I always dechlorinate drinking water.

ConcinusMan
07-27-2010, 12:21 PM
I've never had any problems using water right from the tap. It's chlorine gas, not liquid chlorine anyway. It dissipates into the air rather quickly especially if the water is sitting in such away as to have a high surface-to-volume ratio. (A wide, shallow dish)

Kevinh583
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll post some before and after pics even though everyone on this forum most likely has a lot of experience with the shedding process. Still for me it was exciting to see the difference. (I haven't figured out how to use my camera's settings yet so pictures are not very good)

Out for a swim
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Kevinh583/snakebath.jpg

Not quite ready to go back in

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a479/Kevinh583/snake2.jpg

guidofatherof5
07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Good looking snake.:)

ConcinusMan
07-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree

mtolypetsupply
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
On the feeding/ shed thing, I have some snakes that will eat in blue, some that won't and some that will be eating and shedding simultaneously! All depends on the individual.

Nice snake, too!

Kevinh583
07-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I guess she just really loves to eat. I never have had any problems in that department. In fact I was able to feed using tongs a day after catching her.

The white specs where not there when I first caught her. They only appeared if a large meal caused a bulge and pushed the scales apart. However, they seem to be getting more noticeable as she gains weight. I am hoping this is ok and not because of overfeeding.

ConcinusMan
07-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Well, judging from her size, it probably wouldn't hurt her one bit to fast for 20 days or so, or at least feed her a little less, whether it be frequency or quantity. She really looks like she'd do just fine with a modest meal (slight bulge) once a week. You might be overfeeding her but it's really not a problem unless it continues for a year or more (the overfeeding)

Kevinh583
07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, judging from her size, it probably wouldn't hurt her one bit to fast for 20 days or so, or at least feed her a little less, whether it be frequency or quantity. She really looks like she'd do just fine with a modest meal (slight bulge) once a week. You might be overfeeding her but it's really not a problem unless it continues for a year or more (the overfeeding)

I am trying to cut back to a good once a week feeding. It is hard sometimes because my snake possesses the same ability puppies have of melting your will with one look into their eyes. Except with her there is an element of "or I will kill you" included with the pleading cuteness.

ConcinusMan
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Don't give in or you could end up loving her to death.

HazAnga
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Lol aww I have a couple albino checkereds that have no problem eating while in shed state. Since with them its a little difficult to see them go lighter in colour and I don't always catch the eyes.