PDA

View Full Version : Hungry, hungry Mama

kibakiba
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
So I have a female garter who I'm assuming is a year old. She's a little bit older than my male snake who is a year old... She's been eating a lot lately, 4 pinkies in 2 days and it's getting to the point where the bulge is just gone the next day... it's getting too expensive to feed her pinkies, and I really hate feeding her nightcrawlers because it stinks up my "critter room" which happens to be where I am all day... Lol, so she's a little less than 2 feet long and I have 2 fuzzies in the freezer but their too big for her to eat whole... Is there a way to cut it in half or in fourths without making feeding time a big bloody mess? If I added a calcium supplement to worms would that be okay for her to eat and make it a bit less stinky? I have a calcium:phosphorus supplement that someone told me was good to put on worms for baby snakes to help keep their bones strong but when I was reading it, it said it was for turtles and lizards... it's from Flukers if that maters. The only reason I ask about the worms is, I literally have 100+ nightcrawlers and they keep breeding, so I have an unlimited supply of them.
Anyways thanks for any information you can give me!

ConcinusMan
07-22-2010, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't worry so much about supplements. A light dusting on a worm once a month is plenty if that's all you're feeding them. I agree, worms are a PITA 'cause they go right through the snakes and make a big stinky poopy mess.

I don't have any problem feeding my snakes cut-up fuzzies. I simply cut them about in half while still frozen, then thaw in a ceramic dish. There's very little fluid/blood loss. If you're feeding your garters on rodents, you don't really need any supplements at all, and it's OK to give them a very good feeding of rodents and then let the snakes go without food for a week, provided that the snakes aren't rapidly growing babies. If you can find any kind of trout at the supermarket, many garters will go for that, and it's fairly inexpensive.

Rodents are by far the best food because they are nutritionally dense, produce less stinky mess, and you can feed much less often. If your snakes eat them readily, go for it and feed them worms and/or fish as only an occasional treat.

kibakiba
07-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Well Mama's been eating so many that I've spent over 40 dollars this month on them. I cant afford to do it again, and I only have 2 fuzzies left. I was thinking that a worm dipped in the calcium sup,. would make it a little more solid when it comes out and less stinky, but i don't know how that works. Next month I'm buying some mice to breed so I can get whatever size I need for the snakes, but I don't have enough pinkies to hold me off until I'd have any ready to feed to them. I've got 2 very hungry young garters that love to eat and only 10 pinkies left. I guess I'll have to handle the stink of worm until I can buy more pinkies. I've looked at different types of trout and tilapia(?) around here and it's almost as expensive as buying pinkies, and Mama is a stubborn eater... It took me a couple months to get her on pinkies :P
Anyways, thanks for the reply :)

drache
07-22-2010, 05:15 AM
have you tried just giving her a whole fuzzy?
she may surprise you

ConcinusMan
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I've had 20 inch garters take fuzzies. It's really enough food to hold them over for 2 weeks. Shame you can't get them cheaper. I get fuzzies and pinkies for $1 each so it's not expensive at all. (check craigslist thoroughly for feeder rodents) Any of my garters that will take fuzzies get them just 2-4 times a month and I feed them farmed steelhead trout in between. It's cheap too. For $3 I got enough to feed 4 very large girls for several weeks.

kibakiba
07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Ahhh yeah I just looked at my boxes again, my mom had bought 2 boxes of fuzzies and one box of hoppers, no wonder they looked too big haha. But I do think she could easily eat a fuzzy now that I've seen one. Where we buy them we get a box of 3 pinkies for 6 dollars, and fuzzies were 15 dollars. It's grossly overpriced. Hopefully getting 10 mice to breed will hold off my 3 garters and have some extras for when I get more ;)

kibakiba
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I just tried feeding her one of my fuzzies, she seems scared of it. She strikes at it and then lets go and stares at it and slithers off. I figure maybe if i cut it in half it might be a bit less "scary". Right now I have it in a little dish in the tank... She's still pretty skittish so she may take it without me hovering over her tank with the tongs.

As I'm typing this she's opening her mouth and moving her jaws a bit it seems, and examining the fuzzy. Is that normal? She just dragged it out of the dish and left it, lol.

Laura
07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Cut it up, she probably thinks it's too big :P

kibakiba
07-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah I ended up cutting it in half, she's on the second half now haha. She's finally got a bulge in her belly... the pinkies just weren't cutting it for her ;)

Laura
07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I have the same issue with Lola, she is clearly big enough to eat what I'm giving her but she can't be assed with the effort so I have to cut it up for her :P

kibakiba
07-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Haha, that's how my baby snake is. I cut worms up for him and they're small enough for him, but he likes them to be very bite-sized ;) He wont eat anything thats more than half a centimeter long. Mama's sleeping now so I'm assuming she's full haha, my male snake is only able to down his in 4ths but I'm not sure if he'd even be able to down a whole fuzzy :)

ConcinusMan
07-22-2010, 07:16 PM
I just tried feeding her one of my fuzzies, she seems scared of it. She strikes at it and then lets go and stares at it and slithers off. I figure maybe if i cut it in half it might be a bit less "scary". Right now I have it in a little dish in the tank... She's still pretty skittish so she may take it without me hovering over her tank with the tongs.

As I'm typing this she's opening her mouth and moving her jaws a bit it seems, and examining the fuzzy. Is that normal? She just dragged it out of the dish and left it, lol.

The fact she strikes at it is a good thing. She wants to eat it and so she's well on her way. Some of my snakes just took longer than others and they did the same thing yours are doing. It's not that they think it's too big, it's just that it feels foreign to them at first, so they drop it. Try chopping them in half (while still frozen) and scenting them well with fish, and keep trying. Eventually they'll get used to the feel of it and start swallowing them.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 01:29 AM
She took it faster than ever after I cut it in half :) It was almost triple the size of her head so I think that was what was wrong. She got its head down once but spit it up when she got to the body, she had no problem though, with the half of it. I'm happy she's taking them because it does seem like it'll hold her off. Pinkies rarely made a noticeable bulge, but now shes got a nice one ;)

Also this is off topic a bit but if you hear a click sound when they, it could be a sign of a respiratory infection right? Mama has that a bit when I picked her up just now. It was only to examine her eye because it was cloudy, but then I noticed her breathing. Her eye is okay though, it was just a left over shed :)

Thanks for the help guys

ConcinusMan
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
It doesn't stop here. Now you're obligated.;) Stay active on the forum and keep us posted on her progress. A decent sized bulge of fuzzies in your snake should be adequate to provide enough nutrition for about 5-7 days at least. Let her be for now, make her comfy and let her digest her meal. Keep up the good husbandry.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Oh I plan on being active here, you're all awesome and I know I'll probably need more help since... You know I've got a garter fever haha.

She seems to have spit up on one of her climbing sticks, it was clear with a little white in it... Has she eaten too much or drank too much? she was in her water for a while. I've taken the stick out for now. She did it right as I looked over at the tank... she's making the sticks and log move and scratch against each other because of how big she is/

ConcinusMan
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't worry too much unless it happens a lot. Sometimes it can just be some air that got swallowed. They can't exactly burp like we do so, often foam and / or liquid comes up with the air.

You need to make sure that your sticks, logs, rocks, or whatever are secure enough that the snake can't topple them. Nothing worse than coming home to a dead snake pinned under tank decorations.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
They don't move much the one she spit up on was a bit loose usually, but I'll keep it out of the tank now that I know that it could be dangerous. The other ones are very sturdy and secure, she was just so heavy that they rubbed together a bit and made some noise. Surprisingly enough when I got home Mama's bulge was 100% gone and she looks like shes hungry... She did have that sort of look in her eyes when I put my hand in the tank to clean their dish ;) I don't really want to feed her again though for a couple days even if she is hungry for the sake of saving enough food to last a while, we only have 5 dollars and its around 4 to ride the bus one way so i cant buy more pinkies till the 4h :(

ConcinusMan
07-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't worry about the bulge being gone. Sounds like another feeding on the 4th would be just fine. Snake won't starve.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh I know she wouldn't starve ;) I'm more concerned about her thinking my fingers are food :P She's a nippy little girl, she just never really latches on, maybe its because my fingers really don't taste like worm or pinky ;)

ConcinusMan
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
If the biting is a feeding response to smell of food, generally they grab on and start trying to swallow. Best to just let them do so until they figure it out and let go.

Quick nips to the fingers when there's no food smell around, or even outright biting and chewing a bit, again, when there's no food around, that's a defensive bite. Learn to know the difference. Your snake should be no more prone to bite you when hungry, than it is any other time, provided that there is nothing around that smells like food.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Mama's a pretty friendly seeming snake, when I first got her she was more nippy but she's used to being held or having hand in the tank since I have to change the water more with her, she likes the water dish as a toilet where as Snakey has a little corner he likes. She has bitten and let go quickly, not recently though. When she bites she does try swallowing and i don't flinch when she does it anymore but she doesn't take too long to realize I'm not food, probably because I start giggling... it tickles a bit when she bites and isn't clamping her teeth down on me hard :P I have longer nails now too so when she feels my nails she lets go.

guidofatherof5
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
We see their water dish as a life giving vessel. A place for them to revive after a long day of cruising the enclosure. A place to relax and let the troubles and stress of the day just melt away.
They see a toilet, crapper, head, can, lavatory, throne, etc.:D
Mine rush to soil it as soon as possible. Little jerks.:D

ConcinusMan
07-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Same here. Ticks me off to no end. it's like they were holding it, knowing I was going to change the water. Then straight to it, take a drink, leave a dump. *sigh*

Of course, my radix Amy is a perfect lady. She never goes in her water dish. She prefers to go up against the front glass, and wipe on it, as if to say "in your face....Now get in the kitchen and fetch me a pinkie pot pie":rolleyes:

And of course, I do it.:o I admit it. I'm whipped.

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Haha!
Snakey will sometimes use the glass as a toilet too, or when he's eating he pushes the pinkies against it... to I guess help him get it down, it leave a perfect mes for me to clean up ;P

guidofatherof5
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Haha!
Snakey will sometimes use the glass as a toilet too, or when he's eating he pushes the pinkies against it... to I guess help him get it down, it leave a perfect mes for me to clean up ;P

It sounds like your snake has you trained very well.:D
No offense meant. I too am a good pet for my snakes.:D

kibakiba
07-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Haha well I love them so of course I let them own me ;) even if it means cleaning the water dish every 5 minutes... those pesky snakes!

guidofatherof5
07-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Haha well I love them so of course I let them own me ;) even if it means cleaning the water dish every 5 minutes... those pesky snakes!

You've got the right attitude for keeping garter snakes. They have a will of their own and once they know you will test the limits. It's all good. They are a very special animal that lives very well with humans.
The sad part is the fact so many people(snake lovers) write them off as garbage. They deserve much more credit than they get.

ConcinusMan
07-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Haha well I love them so of course I let them own me ;)

I have a wooden plaque in my house that has a picture of a dog and states:

"Happiness is... being owned by a pomeranian"

I have four of them and yes, they make me happy and they certainly own me. But man, they are a pita. They make the snakes seem like a walk in the park of inconvenience. The dogs are a walk in the battle zone of inconvenience. No matter. Wouldn't give them up for all the money and convenience in the world.

Now I need a wooden plaque like that which states "happiness is being owned by garter snakes"

Somehow I tend to think the manufacturer passed that up due to lack of popular demand. Maybe I'll have to make a few for our Thamnophis loving friends.:D

kibakiba
07-24-2010, 02:08 AM
I have one of those! It's a boston terrier one, my mom has a boston terrier. I hadn't read through all your post and I was about to say they need one for garter snakes too!

We had a house inspection and my little baby garter (who is the most adorable little runt snake ever!) absolutely DISGUSTED the inspector. She said poor little baby was ugly :( She said she liked snakes but my garters were disgusting, but I don't understand that, since it is still a snake :/. I love the different personalities of my 3 garters, which is why I fell in love with them. Snakey is curious and he likes to coil up on my shirt and "watch" tv with me, Mama is feisty and piggish ;) but she's got her little sweet side to her... And my baby that's very skittish but suuuuper curious. He's tried going inside my nose once haha!

Anyways Mama took a little swim today with Snakey. She goes crazy in the water, seems like she has a lot of fun swimming around and going under the water and everything. I only fill up the tub so one side remains dry with a log and a washcloth for them to dry off :)

ConcinusMan
07-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Screw Mr. inspector. Some dumb azzes don't even realize that snakes have personalities or any intelligence. we know better, don't we.

kibakiba
07-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Indeed we do, I wouldn't trade my garters for anything... They are literally a part of my family and I don't know what I would do without them. Snakey has been with me through a whole year of crap and yet he still hangs out with me when I'm watching movies ;)

Flicker
07-27-2010, 04:57 AM
I really don't understand why garters are not more popular. They come in so many cool colors and sizes, they are awake during the day, curious and interested in their surroundings, pretty mellow (well, mostly) and they don't get large enough to eat small children (or pomeranians).

Seriously - why are they so neglected by reptile enthusiasts? They are so awesome. I wanted a snake for years and years - but when I'd look into it, it was never appealing I think because most of them were imports from other countries and rather tempermental in terms of food, housing and temperment.

I'm very happy with my little snakey. He's temporarily being housed with the new concinnus I got for my 11 year old from Richard. And it's so awesome having two in there - I think I might need another one at some point. <.<

guidofatherof5
07-27-2010, 05:53 AM
I think I might need another one at some point. <.<

"Another one bites the dust"(singing)

drache
07-27-2010, 06:13 AM
I really don't understand why garters are not more popular. They come in so many cool colors and sizes, they are awake during the day, curious and interested in their surroundings, pretty mellow (well, mostly) and they don't get large enough to eat small children (or pomeranians).

Seriously - why are they so neglected by reptile enthusiasts? They are so awesome.
there is just no accounting for taste
and you know what happens when corn snake lovers get into garters?
the first thing they want to do is play with the genetics

ConcinusMan
07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I kinda like the fact that we're a tight-knit small group and most of us don't want hybrids and such. I'd hate to think what would happen if garters became as popular as corns and a bunch of idiots started messing around with them and producing hybrids. We don't seem to have any unwanted snakes, in spite of all the breeding and I don't know of a single case of albino (or any) garter snakes ending up sitting in rescues unwanted. I'd like to keep it that way.

kibakiba
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I'd take any garter, hybrid or not... I don't care about genetics, I just love garters :) Mama has gotten quite a lot calmer with me, she doesn't get spooked when I pick her up any more and comes out of the tank (when I have it open for any reason) and slithers onto my hand now. It makes me feel wanted and loved haha.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2010, 06:24 AM
I'd take any garter, hybrid or not... I don't care about genetics, I just love garters :) Mama has gotten quite a lot calmer with me, she doesn't get spooked when I pick her up any more and comes out of the tank (when I have it open for any reason) and slithers onto my hand now. It makes me feel wanted and loved haha.

I know what you are saying about loving garters(all) but you should also add the statement about making sure to never breed them.
I would take a hybrid in a second but hope no one would ever intentionally breed them. If it were a mistake and the snake/s need a home, I would provide one.
I know this is a touchy subject and some think the hybrids should be euthanized but I couldn't do it. I understand their position on the subject.:)

You're right about feeling needed. Once they trust you they seem to want interaction. They are a comfort snake, for us. I sat on the couch last night with one of my big girls(Lookalike) she was content to weave amongst my fingers and relax. It's a good feeling when they trust you.

Kevinh583
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM

I feel the same way. I know that lots (most?) people hate snakes but I think they are pretty quick to change their mindset if they are around a snake for any period of time. I have a couple friends who have already made comments about not killing snakes on sight anymore after spending some time watching my new house guest. My mother who would go ballistic at the sight of any snake has even warmed up to my new pet enough to actually want to watch it catch fish from its water dish.

Also, for someone like me that travels a bunch and can't have a pet that requires daily attention a snake is perfect. I can leave for a few days without having to find a sitter every time. And though I'm no snake expert, from the reading I've done in the past couple months I think I'm definitely sticking with garters. You do not have to worry about them getting too big (bigger enclosures, more food, more painful bites) and they don't just sit under a hide all day. And there are so many great looking garters out there...makes you want one of each.

Kevinh583
07-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I know this is a touchy subject and some think the hybrids should be euthanized but I couldn't do it. I understand their position on the subject.:)

Seems pretty harsh to kill that snake because something a person did, even if their behavior might have been irresponsible. Especially if the snake is otherwise healthy and has a chance for a good life.

I would even be more understanding of people who kill snakes out of fear. That is a natural response, even some animals will kill a snake they come across out of fear. However, I do not see any excuse for someone systematically killing snakes that they determine should not have been born. Prevent them from breeding by all means but no need to destroy them. That of course is just my opinion and I must admit I am pretty ignorant regarding breeding/genetic sciences and the broader ramifications of hybrids.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Seems pretty harsh to kill that snake because something a person did, even if their behavior might have been irresponsible. Especially if the snake is otherwise healthy and has a chance for a good life.

I would even be more understanding of people who kill snakes out of fear. That is a natural response, even some animals will kill a snake they come across out of fear. However, I do not see any excuse for someone systematically killing snakes that they determine should not have been born. Prevent them from breeding by all means but no need to destroy them. That of course is just my opinion and I must admit I am pretty ignorant regarding breeding/genetic sciences and the broader ramifications of hybrids.

Very well put.:)

Stefan-A
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Seems pretty harsh to kill that snake because something a person did,
If killing the snake was intended as a punishment for being a hybrid, I'd agree. But it's not.

ConcinusMan
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I would take a hybrid in a second but hope no one would ever intentionally breed them. If it were a mistake and the snake/s need a home, I would provide one.

:eek: Steve, you surprise me. euthanize a healthy snake? My opinion is this: avoid creating hybrids. Do not ever pay money for a hybrid to avoid encouraging the practice. Nothing wrong with adopting them and keeping them as pets but don't let them breed.

kibakiba
07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh sorry, I wouldn't breed a hybrid, I know that's a no no! But I just meant if it needed a home I'd happily care for it :) I couldn't ever euthanize a snake just because of it being a hybrid, It's still a living being, and deserves to live... It's not the snakes fault that someone liked playing with the genetics :( I wouldn't buy one since I know that might encourage the person to do it again but if it just needed a home, just like any other animal that we have at my house, they were all rescued in some sense. My dog was an abused breeder, my cat was saved from an abusive owner, my parrot was owned by my dad who didn't care for him or love him... And my snakes were taken in from the wild, here it's dry and doughty... Snakey was in good health but Mama and Runt drank like no tomorrow and ate like it was their last meal.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
:eek: Steve, you surprise me. euthanize a healthy snake? My opinion is this: avoid creating hybrids. Do not ever pay money for a hybrid to avoid encouraging the practice. Nothing wrong with adopting them and keeping them as pets but don't let them breed.

I said I understand their position. I didn't say I agree with it.
I take the side of life in most situations.:)

Mommy2many
07-28-2010, 05:17 PM
You're right about feeling needed. Once they trust you they seem to want interaction. They are a comfort snake, for us. I sat on the couch last night with one of my big girls(Lookalike) she was content to weave amongst my fingers and relax. It's a good feeling when they trust you.

Today my daughter had one of our baby girls out (not such a baby anymore!). She sat in my hands for a few minutes and then rested her head on my chest. And just sat there. It was so cute! Almost like a child. I didn't want her to move.

guidofatherof5
07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Very cool, Le Ann.:)

Mommy2many
07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, then I caught the little bugger up wrapped around the gauges, just like Noodle did before his unfortunate adventure. I made sure all was secure and told her "No snakes on the roof!!!"

kibakiba
07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
All of my snakes like to weave in my fingers and hang out, its cute when they rest their head against one of your fingers or thumb. I think Runt is the only one who's more nervous and untrusting than the others, but I tend to leave him alone more than the others because I'd rather not stress him out and I'm always scared of him getting hurt when he darts for his hide if I move his enclosure. He's so small and delicate, I'd be so upset if I ever hurt him. :/

guidofatherof5
07-28-2010, 08:46 PM
Any chance we can see a photo of Runt?

kibakiba
07-28-2010, 09:48 PM
I have a picture of him on my Meet the gang! thread, but it doesn't show how small he is. He's around 7 inches, which I think is normal but the size of his body is pretty small. Snakey was double his size when he was a month and a half, 2 weeks younger than runt.
He has a little bulge in his belly as he ate the day before :)

Snakers
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok,I just saw the discussion on the top of this page, I really think we exaggerate about hybrids, what is the real problem as long as the hybrids don't get put in the wild, And even if they do get into the wild are they really going to pose a threat to native garter snakes?Or will they just feed opon the same foods and live the same life as any other NATIVE garter snake...........Just a thought

ConcinusMan
07-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Today my daughter had one of our baby girls out (not such a baby anymore!). She sat in my hands for a few minutes and then rested her head on my chest. And just sat there. It was so cute! Almost like a child. I didn't want her to move.

It's moments like those, one after the other, over a very long period of time, that caused me to ball my eyes out the last time I had a snake die on me. Not too many members know that I kept a pair, just one pair, of concinnus as purely pets and members of the family for an extremely long time. Male died at 18 and that was hard but the girl is the one I really, really loved and when she died at 21 years, I mourned for about 7 years. I started to miss having garters around and that's when I joined the forum.

Now I have snakes and the emptiness has been filled. I wished I had done it long before now.

@ snakers: we've had soooo many discussions about hybrids and such and the general consensus is that most garter enthusiasts are also purists. We want our garters pure and untainted. Most cases of hybrids have been attributed to two breeds being kept together and producing unexpected offspring. The responsible thing to do, hybrid or not, would be to keep our captive bred (generations removed from the wild) in captivity. Same goes for hybrids. Two things can happen: hybrid breeds with a native population and introduces genetic material that reeks havoc and wipes them out. The more likely thing to happen is that natural selection weeds out and kills of the introduced genetic material by killing off the hybrid before it can breed, or by killing off the offspring because they have a disadvantage.

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Well the way I see it is no matter what the garter is it's still a life that deserves to be lived. And even if there are hybrids they aren't necessarily "garbage" of any sort or form, some dogs are hybrids and they are amazing! But I do understand that it's frowned upon, and I wouldn't do it. I don't think a hybrid would be too much different in the wild, it just might not have the same ability to live like a regular garter that's native to that area due to the fact they'd have different colours perhaps and couldn't blend in like a native garter.

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I bawled my eyes out just because of that injured garter I had a couple weeks ago. I Probably wouldn't get over one of my garters dying though, they mean so much to me now, they're a part of me and I can't bear the thought of losing them.

ConcinusMan
07-29-2010, 01:05 AM
I just don't think it's a responsible thing to do. Accidents do happen and hybrids are produced. Some of those may be awesome snakes and make lovely pets. Let's just not make it a habit. I just don't think it's a good thing for the snakes themselves, the breeds, or the hobby.

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Oh I know, I'm just saying :) I just can't imagine disliking a snake or anything over it being a hybrid. I wouldn't like garters to become popular and having a bunch of hybrids, it's get really confusing! I like them just how they are.

ConcinusMan
07-29-2010, 02:00 AM
Let's put it this way, I'd rather keep a really nice hybrid (in a tank by itself) than to see it euthanized or released.

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 02:56 AM
I would too, I wouldn't care if it looked good, though :)

mtolypetsupply
07-29-2010, 05:01 AM

Seriously - why are they so neglected by reptile enthusiasts?

Sorry to have to go here, but....

They're small and domestic. Reptile enthusiasts, like exotic car enthusiasts, are primarily male. Do men want to drive a Ford Escort or a Lamborghini Countach? If one is "compensating", do you think they feel a need to get a Garter or a Burmese Python?

;)

Snakers
07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Yes i too would never make a hybrid purposely but if one ever does show up I would be glad to give it a life of any "ordinary" garter snake.

ConcinusMan
07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes i too would never make a hybrid purposely but if one ever does show up I would be glad to give it a life of any "ordinary" garter snake.

Me too, but I wouldn't be willing to pay a single cent for it and the snake would have to be pretty darn cool for me to use my limited space to keep it.;)

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM

They're small and domestic. Reptile enthusiasts, like exotic car enthusiasts, are primarily male. Do men want to drive a Ford Escort or a Lamborghini Countach? If one is "compensating", do you think they feel a need to get a Garter or a Burmese Python?

;)

... Men... Haha. I just don't get most of them. Luckily, my boyfriend loves reptiles and he loves my little garters. The only problem is he wants a croc... And a tegu, and an Asian water monitor along with my snakes. But anyways... Men are weird ;)

guidofatherof5
07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
...Men are weird ;)

Not our fault. It's brain damage.:D

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Haha, I'm sure! My boyfriend had that same excuse when I told him he was crazy for wanting a croc :P I feel lucky that I do have my brain damaged boyfriend though, because unlike the other reptile enthusiasts who like bigger snakes, he's in love with the garters :D

Flicker
07-29-2010, 03:38 PM

;)

*DOH* Of course!!!! *facepalms* Why didn't I think of that. I've been thinking of snakes from my own perspective, wanting something sweet, friendly, easy to care for that's interesting - not a testosterone boost to make me feel more manly!

I GET it now.

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Well, at least you aren't a big tough manly man that just has a snake to give them a testosterone boost ;) People like that never seem to make good owners, as their too busy caring about themselves rather than what the snake needs. At least that's the observation I've had with several people.

Flicker
07-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, at least you aren't a big tough manly man that just has a snake to give them a testosterone boost ;) People like that never seem to make good owners, as their too busy caring about themselves rather than what the snake needs. At least that's the observation I've had with several people.
I'm a girl, actually. ^_^

And in addition to thinking they're cool for myself... I also like to share and get my kids interested. Also, all girls. I've been rather successful on that effort. Two of my girls now own cocinnus and are both madly in love with their new pets. :D

kibakiba
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Sorry about that haha, I'm bad at telling whether people are female or male on forums and such ;) But even so, at least you AREN'T a big tough manly man :P It'd be cool to see more women interested in snakes... I only know one person away from the forum that loves snakes.

mtolypetsupply
07-29-2010, 07:50 PM
...unlike the other reptile enthusiasts who like bigger snakes, he's in love with the garters :D

Now, I'm starting to wonder about the men who are on this forum. I'm guessing the all have, um, shall we say, bigger SHOES TO FILL ;) than all the python/boa guys.

*DOH* Of course!!!! *facepalms* Why didn't I think of that. I've been thinking of snakes from my own perspective, wanting something sweet, friendly, easy to care for that's interesting - not a testosterone boost to make me feel more manly!

I GET it now.

Too easy to see things only from one's own perspective. Gotta remember when we go to shows, of whom do we see a preponderance?

:)

ConcinusMan
07-30-2010, 03:37 AM

I GET it now.

On the contrary, I choose my pets for the opposite reason. I have four pomeranians for cryin' out loud. How manly is that? You saw them. They're about as wimpy as dogs get. If you had entered my house uninvited, they would probably have licked you to death.:rolleyes:

Anyway, I love my garters for similar reasons. They bring out the best emotions a man can experience and those emotions are just the opposite of what some people consider "manliness". If you were alive in the 70's I would have used the word "macho" in place of "manliness".

Seriously, I don't have snakes to be cool or manly, or any of that stuff. I have my garter snakes because they are sweet, loveable, admirable, and beautiful. Just like my Pomeranians. But I must say, having 13 or more garter snakes is a heck of a lot easier and less expensive than keeping 4 pomeranians!

Flicker
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah - I like that the people who are inspired to own garters are doing so for a genuine interest and love of the little beasties, rather than as a way to enhance or display their own masculinity or attempting to compensate for lack there-of.

kibakiba
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Indeed, that's why I love my boyfriend, he loves garter snakes ;) He's just scared to hold one of mine because they get pretty defensive around people they don't know.

Oh! I made progress with Mama's occasional hissy fits, she's the most tame snake I've ever seen now! I had her out while i was watching a movie and she sat on top of my head for a good 30 minutes (they like exploring in my hair ;)) And she slept in my arm though half of the movie. Normally she's try to get away and/or somehow jump out of my hands. She hasn't done that once! If only Snakey were like that haha, he likes exploring too much for me to hold him much, he's literally everywhere... He's gone in my shirt, in one of my pants pockets, in my hair and attempted to go into my ear! Haha.

mustang
07-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Not our fault. It's brain damage.:D
not its not my mom says its "that D@M Y chromosone" well i want a monitor lizard i aint crazy READ "the red pyramid" they got an albino crocodile as a pet!

kibakiba
07-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey, monitors ain't bad :P My boyfriend wants one too, but he's gotta wait until he's out of college ;) He wants a croc too but I just wont allow that! Haha

mustang
07-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Hey, monitors ain't bad :P My boyfriend wants one too, but he's gotta wait until he's out of college ;) He wants a croc too but I just wont allow that! Haha
aww your one of those:rolleyes: always an excuse to say no

kibakiba
07-30-2010, 03:45 PM
No, I don't have an excuse. A croc is too dangerous, besides I'll be the one paying for his monitor and tegu's :P He's a spoiled brat ;) I don't want a croc to harm my future hubby :P I don't mind him having garter snakes or even a boa or python, but no crocs... haha

mustang
07-30-2010, 04:03 PM
what about a caimen there little little crocs

kibakiba
07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Maybe :P it depends on how much it'd cost when I move closer to him, buying a tegu and monitor plus the tank and food is expensive enough ;)