PDA

View Full Version : website

drache
07-17-2010, 05:11 AM
some of you know that I enjoy bringing my reptiles to science classrooms, and that I've brought them to kids birthday parties
so we're creating a web-site for that side-line of my reptile passion
it's still in process, and google doesn't know about it, but you can take a look and please give feedback
Reptile School (http://reptileschool.com/)

infernalis
07-17-2010, 06:59 AM
The Google spiders will know about it soon enough....

drache
07-17-2010, 07:08 AM
hoping to get it more presentable by the time the weekend is over

guidofatherof5
07-17-2010, 07:51 AM
It's looking good Rhea.

Selkielass
07-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Nice format! (I can see you are still building, so I'll toss out a few ideas.)

In your content, I'd recommend stating more positives- save statements like 'So there will be absolutely no gigantic, scary, venomous, or otherwise dangerous animals.' for the very end, if at all. Instead state positives like 'My shows feature friendly well socialized animals with fascinating tales to share.' If any of your rescue animals are part of the show, you might want to mention that too. Phrase all you can, even negative things, in a positive manner. Be specific. 'The animals I bring tend to have more going for them in the realm of interesting behaviours (sp?) and characteristics.' Is a bit vague. Hook them in with teasers about how these gentle creatures have developed amazing strategies to not just survive, but thrive in the jungle hidden in our own back yards. (For American species.)

If you do a couple different presentations, individual blurbs about each, and the ages or groups they are appropriate for would be useful too. If you can tailor your presentations to mesh with school curriculum or science units, this would be a definite selling point too.

If you have a family of snakes exhibiting interesting coloration, you might want to put together a sub-presentation on basic genetics, and how color is affected by recessive and dominant genes. This would be amazing for High school kids learning this textbook-dry subject.

sirtalis01
07-17-2010, 10:01 AM
its coming out realy nice Rhea...

adamanteus
07-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Very nice, Rhea.:)

drache
07-17-2010, 01:22 PM
thank you all
I took a little break to take some animals to the rescue, where they are having a small carwash/barbeque fundraiser/adoption event
it's outdoors in front of the rescue, so in the end I only brought out the uromastyx and my IR temp gun
the uromastyx loved it for a while, baked on a table and became very active. These are those big metal folding tables with the dark brown fake wood laminate surface, and they heated up so fast that after a half hour the surface measured 141.3ºF and even the uros no longer liked it.
so now I can go back to working on the web-site and follow some of those excellent suggestions
the venomous, scary, and biting thing seems to be a big deal for people - the first thing they want to know is whether this "iguana" is "poisonous", so I never lack for conversational material

have I ever told you guys that I have trouble writing in English? sounds silly because my English is better than that of some native speakers, but the writing is different. it's supposed to be short with no more than one concept per sentence. my writing doesn't flow that way. Jeff chops up all of my sentences with a cleaver into tiny pieces, just like you would prep a big nightcrawler for baby garters. the first few times he did it, it was really painful, but I'm getting used to it
anyway - I do have to add and change quite a bit , , ,
thanks again for the feedback

sirtalis01
07-17-2010, 07:24 PM
oh you whent to sean caseys BBQ? my Sister and her Chihuahuas whent, maybe you met her :)..shes from the NYC_Chihuahua_Meetup_Group..

drache
07-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I ended up packing it in early, but is your sister friends with Lorena, Sean's girlfriend?
they've got a chihuahua named Little Shoes
I used to look down on chihuahuas, but that mountain lion story changed my mind

mustang
07-18-2010, 06:54 AM
thank you all
I took a little break to take some animals to the rescue, where they are having a small carwash/barbeque fundraiser/adoption event
it's outdoors in front of the rescue, so in the end I only brought out the uromastyx and my IR temp gun
the uromastyx loved it for a while, baked on a table and became very active. These are those big metal folding tables with the dark brown fake wood laminate surface, and they heated up so fast that after a half hour the surface measured 141.3ºF and even the uros no longer liked it.
so now I can go back to working on the web-site and follow some of those excellent suggestions
the venomous, scary, and biting thing seems to be a big deal for people - the first thing they want to know is whether this "iguana" is "poisonous", so I never lack for conversational material

have I ever told you guys that I have trouble writing in English? sounds silly because my English is better than that of some native speakers, but the writing is different. it's supposed to be short with no more than one concept per sentence. my writing doesn't flow that way. Jeff chops up all of my sentences with a cleaver into tiny pieces, just like you would prep a big nightcrawler for baby garters. the first few times he did it, it was really painful, but I'm getting used to it
anyway - I do have to add and change quite a bit , , ,
thanks again for the feedbackno iguana or snake is poisonous because u dont get sick by eatn em....(another venomous vs poisonous rant...glad to see the uro had some fun (your english is fine)

adamanteus
07-18-2010, 08:14 AM
no snake is poisonous because u dont get sick by eatn em...

Actually, just as a point of interest. It is believed that certain Garter Snakes are poisonous, in particular those which eat certain poisonous newts (Taricha granulosa). It seems that the toxins in the salamander's skin are retained in the body (liver?) of the snake, rendering it poisonous.;)

mustang
07-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Actually, just as a point of interest. It is believed that certain Garter Snakes are poisonous, in particular those which eat certain poisonous newts (Taricha granulosa). It seems that the toxins in the salamander's skin are retained in the body (liver?) of the snake, rendering it poisonous.;)
but it dosm\nt have its on toxin that it can produce at will (dart frogs cane toads ect.) i dont know if it has to release it at will to be poisnous but i believe it does have to have its own poison to be used in the contex of "that snake is poisnous" instead its "hey that snake has toxins in it" or somthn like that

ConcinusMan
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
The red spotted garters (particularly the anery population I found in Oregon) seem to favor eating rough-skinned newts. I mean, they love 'em. Most any other animal that tries to eat one gets very ill. It has been observed specifically in that area, that animals often get very ill after eating garter snakes, particularly crows and jays. Blue herons don't get sick though, and eat newts too.