PDA

View Full Version : My New Baby!

Snakeknot
07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
My new Florida blue baby arrived today. She was waiting for me at work. ( Although I had to retrieve her from where a co-worker was saying, "What did you get?" as she turned the box over and shook it. Gaaahhhhh! Gimme that! ) It was just marked as "perishable" not "live animal, this end up"!

She was alive and also very feisty! When I cracked the tub to peer inside, she flattened herself like a cobra and struck at me! Well, she HAD had a very stressful 24 hours! I snapped a few pics of her before I set her up in her own tub and settled down to ignore her for the next couple of days.

She's my first captive bred garter and I'm very excited about her. I've decided to call her "Saphira".

Charis
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Congrats! She is very pretty. Great name too!

bkhuff1s
07-08-2010, 09:14 PM
I've heard the Florida garters can be like that, at least you will not have feeding issues. lol

kibakiba
07-08-2010, 09:29 PM
She's beautiful! Congrats!

oki-inu
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Cute little snake. I like the name, too.

infernalis
07-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I've heard the Florida garters can be like that, at least you will not have feeding issues. lol

Yep, they have a tendency to be "spirited"

Congrats.

guidofatherof5
07-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Glad she arrived safely.

Barak666
07-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Very beautiful animal!!!

You are lucky, I would like to be able to find these around here in Canada.

Snakeknot
07-09-2010, 05:58 AM
My original plan was to toss her in with Bogo but she's half the size! I had no idea Bogo had grown THAT MUCH! So for now, Saphira has her own room until I fatten her up. I hope she catches up in size quickly and eats well. He was feeding her silversides. I have no access to them but I was thinking of starting out with a mix of panicked rosies with earthworm parts. That technique worked wonderfully on Bogo. She doesn't even need the fish any more. She'll bolt down as many chopped earthworms as I can give her. Maybe Saphira will be the same.

Devon

drache
07-09-2010, 08:24 AM
congrats, Devon
she'll probably eat anything without scenting or movement - as long as it's within the realm of what garters eat

Mommy2many
07-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Congratulations! She is such a cutie!

Spankenstyne
07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Congrats!

jitami
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
What a cutie! Congrats!

adamanteus
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Nice little Florida Blue, Devon. Florida Blues can be feisty, some never lose it!:D

Snakeknot
07-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Well, that one strike was, so far, the most defensive aggression I've seen out of her. She tries to avoid contact, like if she knows I'm peering down at her but she's not frantic about it like my two wild caught garters.

This morning, before I left for work, I decided to try to offer her some food. I really didn't expect her to eat anything I thought it would be way too soon. The only thing she's been eating has been silversides. Well, there's no where near me to buy silversides. I was planning on buying some rosies this evening but I just wanted to see what she would do. So when I went to offer the big garter hubby found last week some earthworms ( BTW he's still frantic but he's been eating anything I give him from day one. ) I diced one tip of earthworm and put them in her tank in a bottle cap for a dish. I then went and got a shower and changed into my work scrubs. After dressing, I checked on Saphira. The worms were GONE and there was a big bulge in her skinny belly!

So it seems she is NOT a problem feeder! Yippee! She likes my cookin'!

Devon