PDA

View Full Version : sub species of thamnopis marcaianus

mustang
07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
i have been confused about the differences of the 3 checkereds could someone(s) help by explaining (visuals help)

Thamnophis marcianus marcianus" (Marcy's Checkered Garter) Thamnophis marcianus bovalli (Checkered Garter)

Thamnophis marcianus praeoccularis (Yucatan Garter

infernalis
07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
must be minor variations in markings, could find very little while searching the net.

ssssnakeluvr
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
marcianus is the only one found in the U.S. you will need to the the book Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology. check you local library, has photos in there.

Spankenstyne
07-04-2010, 11:58 AM
This is interesting, I didn't originally even realize that there were other subspecies than Thamnophis marcianus marcianus, though in hindsight the need for the doubling up of the ssp name tipped it off.

From what I can find so far it appears of the 2 non US ssp, that bovalli is found SW of Nicaragua into Northern Costa Rica, while praeoccularis is found in the Yucatan Peninsula (Mexico), Belize, parts of Guatemala and into Honduras. I haven't yet found a good source for any physical differences.

Don, that's one of the books on my wish-list. If anyone has a copy and can pass along what the physical differences might be that would be very cool.