PDA

View Full Version : Garter for me

Bakewell
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Hi as you are aware I am new here and don't know anything about Snakes but know I want a Garter.... so what would be a ideal starter Garter for me size, Sp etc?

guidofatherof5
06-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm bias towards the T.radix(plains garter snake)Plains Garter Snake - Caresheets (http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Plains_Garter_Snake). All mine seem to to have very pleasant and easy to work with.
As far as size goes that would be your call. The older they are the more established an eater they will be.

Bakewell
06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
So as a starting point of view you would suggest a older rather than baby snake because of the feeding, I have read that baby's are quite fussy

infernalis
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I was about to say the same thing, A big female Radix is calm, easy going, always ready to eat, easy care.

I deal with a lot of sub-species of garters, and by far the Radix is the mellowest, red sided coming in at a close second.

guidofatherof5
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
So as a starting point of view you would suggest a older rather than baby snake because of the feeding, I have read that baby's are quite fussy

I'm not sure fussy would be the word but an established, more mature snake would be well past any problems with eating.
On the flip side raising a little one to adult is an awesome experience and one every garter snake owner should have a chance to do.

Bakewell
06-30-2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure fussy would be the word but an established, more mature snake would be well past any problems with eating.
On the flip side raising a little one to adult is an awesome experience and one every garter snake owner should have a chance to do.

Totally agree, my local Reptile store has a Thamnophis sirtalis in only drawback is its WC is WC best kept away from?

infernalis
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Not necessarily both Steve and I have some wild caught snakes that are real treats to have as pets.

guidofatherof5
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Not necessarily both Steve and I have some wild caught snakes that are real treats to have as pets.

I too have some W/C that are great.
I meant that if he was thinking about buying a baby it has its pluses also.

infernalis
06-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I know Steve... Lot's of possibilities.

Bakewell
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
So what are Thamnophis sirtalis like I know they all have individual personality's but in general?

Thanks for your comments so far :)

mtolypetsupply
06-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Bakewell, I'd stay away from the WC for my first snake. I don't see a location for you in your avatar, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a reputable breeder from which to get a captive bred and born snake.

I find that radix are a very nice snake, too. However, my sirtalis sirtalis, Eastern Garters, are sweet little puppy dogs unless VERY hungry, or gravid. Pugets (T. pickeringii) are fine too, as is my Santa Cruz (atratus atratus), my Oregon Red-Spotteds (T. concinnus) and my checkereds (marcianus). The only ones that I personally own and find to be feisty are the infernalis (california red-sided). All of them seem to calm down with more handling, and even my feisty Cali's settle down after a few minutes of being held.

However, each snake is different and has their own personality. I'm sure there are some super sweet infernalis out there, and some really cranky radix, too!

For a first snake, my opinion is that the biggest issue is that it be an EASY feeder. Any snake feeding well on frozen fish filet would be a winner in my book, as well as anything readily eating frozen mouse pinks or other frozen rodents. I say this because I have a tough feeder that took forever to switch to frozen thawed meals. It was a pain in the butt to feed him. I had to run to a pet store to get guppies, once or twice a week, 40 min round trip if there was NO traffic. Not THAT big of a deal but I have like a ZILLION other things to do and frozen salmon and pinkies at home! Now he eats frozen salmon, which is such a blessing, 1 minute round trip to the freezer and chopping the salmon another 10 to let it thaw, I'm 29 minutes ahead of the game and not a slave to the pet store business hours!

Consider your budget and start looking at pictures of snakes. Find one in your budget that you like the look of, and see if there are some for sale, and inquire to the breeder.

Best of luck finding your new baby!

:)

drache
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Stephi said it all

Mommy2many
06-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I have W/C Easterns and a litter of babies from one of them that are now 11 months old. Easterns are great snakes (no offense, Steve:D)! My W/C's took to eating anything I offered and the squiggles have adopted the same diet as they have grown.

They are very curious snakes and will take a great interest in you. You may get tagged as one forum member mentioned if they are hungry or gravid, which just comes with the territory. You have to become a member of that elite club:eek:

Any snake you choose will be awesome! Where are you located? There are many reputable breeders on this forum all over the US and other countries as well.

Good luck and Welcome!

guidofatherof5
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Mommy2many;134862]I have W/C Easterns and a litter of babies from one of them that are now 11 months old. Easterns are great snakes (no offense, Steve:D)! 1QUOTE]

Never any offense taken. I just happen to live in the center of the radix universe.
I have been assimilated in their collective. There was never any resistance.:D
Now, I speak for the Queen radix.:D

infernalis
06-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Someone has watched a little too much Star Trek...

ssssnakeluvr
06-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Shall we call him Locutus of Radix?? :cool::rolleyes::D:eek:

guidofatherof5
06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Shall we call him Locutus of Radix?? :cool::rolleyes::D:eek:

I like that.:D

Bakewell
07-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Sorry I should of let you know I'm in the UK I am currently trying to find someone who is breeding these snakes.

Laura
07-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Lol good luck! It's always a struggle to get garters over here, however I've seen loaaaads of checkereds/albino checkereds about, just not much else besides that :P

Where abouts in the UK are you?

Bakewell
07-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Down in Wiltshire Laura, it is hard to source them here but I will find one that suits im sure.

Laura
07-01-2010, 04:14 AM
I hope you do :) if not try rescuing one orrrrr getting one from preloved.co.uk :D

ConcinusMan
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
shall we call him locutus of radix?? :cool::rolleyes::d:eek:

rotflmao

Hey, one of the smiley's is broken.

gartermorphs
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
If you could i would agree with them and get a female radix!

Bakewell
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
went to my local rep store today they had a garter with the common name as "Florida blue" unfortunately though it was an older snake.

mustang
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
went to my local rep store today they had a garter with the common name as "Florida blue" unfortunately though it was an older snake.
how old?

Bakewell
07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Not sure of its age he just said it was an old snake sorry i can't be more help with the age I didn't ask.

mustang
07-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Not sure of its age he just said it was an old snake sorry i can't be more help with the age I didn't ask.
old varies by species was it 3ft+?

Bakewell
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
The Garter was coiled up but maybe it was 3ft it was not stretched out but around that size i would guess, had a phone call from the local pet dealer today he said he had some Normals coming in so what specie is normal I have not got a clue?

ConcinusMan
07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I couldn't help but laugh at that ^^^

I think he meant the same thing we mean when we say "normals". We mean wild-type or normal coloring rather than a special morph. It applies to any normal colored snake. For example, albino, het albino, normal.

mustang
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I couldn't help but laugh at that ^^^

I think he meant the same thing we mean when we say "normals". We mean wild-type or normal coloring rather than a special morph. It applies to any normal colored snake. For example, albino, het albino, normal.
or maybe he means coomen garters like what are in your area(or sirtalis)

ConcinusMan
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
or maybe he means coomen garters like what are in your area(or sirtalis)

If the snakes are found in the same state, it would be illegal for pet stores to sell them.:cool: There are few exceptions.

mustang
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
If the snakes are found in the same state, it would be illegal for pet stores to sell them.:cool: There are few exceptions.
ya like texas :) home of the legendary trio me, myself and, I:D
(as in exas is an exception to it all)

Bakewell
07-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Think what the pet store owner means is the original Garter as in common if there is such a thing

drache
07-03-2010, 05:55 AM
eastern garters, T.s.sirtalis, are often referred to as common garters

Bakewell
07-03-2010, 07:03 AM
eastern garters, T.s.sirtalis, are often referred to as common garters

Thank you Drache

Bakewell
07-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Been looking at Vivariums today can anyone tell me if this size is ok thanks

Vivarium EX48

Height: 52 cm/20 inches

Width: 61 cm/24 inches

Length: 122 cm/48 inches

infernalis
07-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh that is plenty. A condominium for a garter.

guidofatherof5
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Been looking at Vivariums today can anyone tell me if this size is ok thanks

Vivarium EX48

Height: 52 cm/20 inches

Width: 61 cm/24 inches

Length: 122 cm/48 inches

That really depends on what size snake you get. The more room the better(within reason). Garters love to explore. Giving then room to cruise and explore keeps them busy and I think less stressed(happier).
What I meant by "within reason" was putting a baby in a 6 foot enclosure. You'd spend most of your time trying to find your snake. My adults get a 6'x2'x2' enclosure. Most of those adults are all around 35 inches long.
Hope this helps.

Bakewell
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
cool beans :) see I want my snake to be happy and have a proper enclosure with vines and plenty of climbing objects so it does not get stressed and can live in harmony, Ive seen some enclosures that look so cramped for the poor snake I feel so sorry for them. I am in no rush so I can save for proper quarters for the snake and when I eventually do get one I will have everything perfect.

infernalis
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
cool beans :) see I want my snake to be happy and have a proper enclosure with vines and plenty of climbing objects so it does not get stressed and can live in harmony, Ive seen some enclosures that look so cramped for the poor snake I feel so sorry for them. I am in no rush so I can save for proper quarters for the snake and when I eventually do get one I will have everything perfect.

I like the way you think;)