PDA

View Full Version : checker's tank oh the endless upgrades

mustang
06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
checkers tank has been needed updates (since i never could finish it)
and my wallet finnally gettn some thickness to it...(even tho someone left my wallet and took my often bragged about 10 starbuck gift cards....they took 8 of them ....only two had money lol but still about $10 at starbucks will make your mornn better) and im seeing new products come out so hooray for nifty cool stuff! ill be listing some stuff here that i will, have allready, or am thinking about buying for it! be fascinate by my mind that is a raging waterfall overflowing with collective creative ideas on cage design!

mustang
06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
first off i am going to make the terrarium more "water friendly" this will solve the problem of checker getting under the pump in the back of the waterfall.
the barrier has been a tough obstical but finnally somtthing came out !
Esskay Turtle Reserve - Habitat Décor - Reptile - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753969#prodTab1)

i plan on using this or something similar as the transition from fry to wet!

mustang
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
ok now its time for the
"smoke on the water!"
with a pricey fog machine humidifier thing that resembles a nebulizer
Zoo Med Repti Fogger (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2394)
this will be put in the back left corner where the water and waterfall will be located(ill explain what cool thing the waterfalls gonna do later...feel the suspense

mustang
06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
lets get away from the water for a min. i went to petsmart and found a black aspen bedding! non toxic coloring and all...it aint cheap tho its $9 for 8 quarts...Flukes brand...i want somthing like this because checker was caught in my uncles back yard which like most of texas was arid and the other new bedding (type of plant soil that is supposedly safe for reptiles) wouldv made it too humid.

mustang
06-26-2010, 07:13 PM
also i plan on making him a second floor! i have come up with many ways to accomplish this but for every 1 reason thers 56 escape possabilities!

Mommy2many
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
As said, while you plan the development of the abode, Checker is planning his many escape routes!

mustang
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
yup and his mind is set on escapping to a bad enviorment (the wild)....i dont think he relizes hes in a better place...yet...

mustang
07-18-2010, 08:46 PM
well i won a scratch off and was days away from gettn the fogger and oopse i accidently spent it overtime at the bakery...

mustang
07-19-2010, 03:41 AM
but i got him some lilly seeds
(is aquarium gravel ok to put in the pond part of the tank? its kinda needed but i can find a pricier alternitive)

mustang
07-23-2010, 08:56 AM
today at 1:00 ill start puttn the water in yay ill post pics ittl be amazn!

guidofatherof5
07-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Well, get on with it.
Get on with it(Monty Python)

ConcinusMan
07-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Do you think this scene should be cut? we were so worried when the boys were writing it... classic. love Monty Python.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KexudBb_oc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KexudBb_oc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. I'll admit fault ---It's all Steve's fault:p

mustang
08-23-2010, 06:54 PM
it failed twice...and now its finnally working!im gonna wait another 7 minutes (so itd be an hour since i filled it) and if thers no leaks ill start gettn it(the tank) all set up for him!

mustang
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
so far so good hooraaayyyy
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy158/JJmustang/Photo08231922-1.jpg

Mommy2many
08-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Can't wait to see it completed!

mustang
08-23-2010, 08:37 PM
same here....but it may never be finished. it can never be perfect unless all the cool stuff i want for the tank drops below the triple digit price range....i put checker in with the water lillys,cave,aspen, and lid of smaller cgae to put under cave to make it higher up. ill b pissed if the tank goes new orleans on him.

guidofatherof5
08-23-2010, 08:39 PM
ill b pissed if the tank goes new orleans on him.

Funny stuff.:D

ConcinusMan
08-24-2010, 05:12 AM
Well, it's about time you "get on with it!" :p

But seriously, I have a similar thread. Big plans for 55 gallon long. Reality set in, and it got put on hold. Litters to be born, finances, etc...

Will resume the project when my breeder snakes are in the fridge for a few months (Oct-Feb?)

mustang
08-25-2010, 08:06 PM
dear god dear god omg...IT WORKED no leaks no nothing ill post pics soon its amazing so far!

HazAnga
08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I gotta question... would a garter (checkered) actually use a big wet area like that?

ConcinusMan
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm wondering what the point is too. That's a lot of water, and then there's talk of a fog machine? I think it's going to be too humid as it is.

mustang
08-28-2010, 05:58 PM
humidity for some reason ant that hogh...he loves the water he climbed into the waterfall and got into the compartment that holds the motor and submerges himself...and in the temporary cage i had a water dish about 5-6 inches high and 1-1.5 wide and he submerged himself in that....when i get a fog machine i actually have the water level about 1/2 an inch under the top of the barrier so the fog will stay on the water away from the aspen...im gettn velcro to be able to keep the boyant waterfall where i need it...(velcrow wont be in the water) the lillypads i put in are growing nicely....il post some pics later today or tommarow

Snakers
08-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Just remember the snakes tank is to keep him comfortable not necessarily look "cool";)

mustang
08-29-2010, 08:59 AM
i know ...its all about him.:D

mustang
08-29-2010, 09:39 AM
hey should i use velcro or something else to hold down the water fall (the waterfall is styrafoam, very bouyant, and i want about an inch to 2 inches submerged.) would the velcrow have to be on both sides of the waterfall? (its the reptirapids waterfall by zoomed) because it cant be on both sides, the pump wont be able to get into water unless there's room on one side. would the velcro have to be in the water somewhat? if so do yall think it would be toxic? any alternate ideas? i have a plan drawn out but my only working camera has been taken (my phone) cuz of my "sarcasm" oh i was gonna post a pic today but the micro sd card is in my phone. ill try to let my dad use that because its technically not using my phone. dang things can get really complicated now. hopefully i could pull it off. i can make the impossable possable!...i think/hope :)

mustang
03-26-2011, 09:51 AM
some of you know i was saving for a repto filter.....well this morning i got a call from my friend...he was at a garage sale of a school pal and she was selln aquariums and she was selln 2 55 gal. tanks one like checker has and a taller one and i said id offer $20 for the tall one since it was all i had and he said that she said it was a deal...then as if i wasnt estatic enough they said to you want the heat lamp? sorry i dont got anymore money...no its free it goes with it....SURE WOW!!! and the filter? yah awesome....and the cleaning supplies? WAHHOOOOO...and free meal worms...that was.....OMG i got a call just now if i wanted the stand for $5 extra!!!! omg omg omg!!!AND IT FITS BOTH THE TALL AND LONG ONE!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D im so happy i could die of joy! $25 for a tall 55 gal. +meal worms+stand+cleaning stuff+filter+heat lamp

ConcinusMan
03-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I usually watch craigslist for large, long low tanks or any slidelock reptile enclosures. Even if people are asking quite a bit for them, if the ad has been up a few days, I usually offer about $1 a gallon for 20 gallon slide locks, or about $45 for 55 gallon long tanks without screen tops. (I bought a screen top for my 55 gallon long online for $13) Sometimes they come with reptile stuff and tops, sometimes not. I just find that if it's been up there a few days or longer and hasn't sold, they usually take my offer.

People are always complaining about how expensive this stuff is but it doesn't have to be that way. I got all my stuff, including nice tanks, dirt cheap. Nice score Robert. That's how you do it.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-26-2011, 10:41 PM
some of you know i was saving for a repto filter.....well this morning i got a call from my friend...he was at a garage sale of a school pal and she was selln aquariums and she was selln 2 55 gal. tanks one like checker has and a taller one and i said id offer $20 for the tall one since it was all i had and he said that she said it was a deal...then as if i wasnt estatic enough they said to you want the heat lamp? sorry i dont got anymore money...no its free it goes with it....SURE WOW!!! and the filter? yah awesome....and the cleaning supplies? WAHHOOOOO...and free meal worms...that was.....OMG i got a call just now if i wanted the stand for $5 extra!!!! omg omg omg!!!AND IT FITS BOTH THE TALL AND LONG ONE!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D im so happy i could die of joy! $25 for a tall 55 gal. +meal worms+stand+cleaning stuff+filter+heat lamp
a fantastic bargain!!! That's a heck of a deal!

ConcinusMan
03-27-2011, 01:22 AM
A lot of times people have this stuff lying around forever taking up space, and are just glad to get rid of it. If it puts a few bucks in their pocket, they're happy. Never hurts to watch the craigslist ads and make ridiculously low offers on stuff. If you're in no hurry or have no "I gotta have that or else" concerns, then it's no biggie if they don't take your offer. But often enough, they do! Next time you have a few bucks, set it aside and watch the ads. Keep making absurdly low offers on enclosures and stuff until someone bites. In fact, all the enclosures, and much reptile stuff, lights, dishes, other, etc. that I have, was acquired that way. DIRT CHEAP!

Looking forward to seeing what you create with this new stuff Robert.:D

mustang
03-30-2011, 08:47 AM
sorry i havent been able to update but hes in his same tank but a little higher....the filter was broke so i got litteral filters(cartriges)...bet he loves it....within 5 minutes he tried all corners and spaces to escape, the tapped the front of the glass, slithered to the other side and came back full speed into it *SMACK*... but he likes it now....hes got 2 heat lamps,ill post pics when i can