PDA

View Full Version : f/t guppies? or worms? and frequency?

Atlas511
06-25-2010, 04:56 PM
have you guys tried feezing guppies and then thawing out to feed>? same goes for worm pieces?

how ofter do most of you feed your newborns?

guidofatherof5
06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Fish I have but not worms.
From what I've heard from other the worms turn to mush after freezing. I guess it's a mess.

ssssnakeluvr
06-25-2010, 07:55 PM
worms will turn to mush. they keep for some time in the fridge. I use frozen thawed trout pieces, never used frozen guppies, are usually live when I get them and feed them

Atlas511
06-25-2010, 09:10 PM
cool thanks guys!

The Snake Whisperer
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
In my experience a worm turns to mush when it dies, regardless of temperature, unless the worm dies from drying out, in which case it turns hard and dry.

Worms die from overheating as easily as they die from freezing. They also die if their conditions are too wet and they also will drown if their holes become flooded, they cannot swim.

guidofatherof5
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
In my experience a worm turns to mush when it dies, regardless of temperature, unless the worm dies from drying out, in which case it turns hard and dry.

Worms die from overheating as easily as they die from freezing. They also die if their conditions are too wet and they also will drown if their holes become flooded, they cannot swim.

One of our local parks has some flooding going on right now. Thousands of dead night crawlers in the ankle deep water.
We saved a few..............only long enough to bring them home for the radixes.:D

mb90078
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I actually accidentally froze some nightcrawlers a couple days ago. Only very slightly though. I turned the temperature in the refrigerator down way too low, without realizing it would actually start to freeze. The dirt was completely hard and there were tiny ice crystals present. I figured that I had killed them, and as people on this forum have said before, they turn to mush, but I figured I'd let it thaw a bit just to see. So I turned the temp back up in the fridge to a normal cool, and a couple days later they were alive. I ran them under water to clean them, and they seemed to be a bit stunned by the sudden de-thaw, but a few mins later they were back to normal.

Still not sure that I recommend this when you can just keep it cool rather than mildly frozen.

ConcinusMan
07-06-2010, 11:41 AM
I've kept them alive for weeks in containers of layered, slightly damp newspaper. They go dormant at normal fridge temps. It's actually too cold for them. Biggest threat is drowning which can happen not only when it's too wet, but if it's too crowded. Always check for dead ones and remove them immediately. I guess my point is, they keep long enough that way, and get eaten up by my snakes quickly enough that they don't need to be frozen.

If all you're feeding you baby garter is the fish and worms, better feed them every day. If you can get them to eat pinky parts regularly, (trick them if you have to) that would be better.