PDA

View Full Version : proper nomenclature

Hollis_Steed
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Does c/b mean captive bred or captive born? If it means captive bred what do you call the babies that were born in captivity of a wild caught female?

Charis
06-21-2010, 10:19 AM
CB = Captive Bred or
CB = Colubrid (Corns, Kings, Milks, Rat Snakes etc)
CBB = Captive Bred Baby or Captive Bred and Born
CH = Captive Hatched (generally with WC gravid females)
I just pasted that from the Common Terms section of one of the other snake forums. But I'm not sure how some of that would work for a live bearer like garters, if the terms change or not.

MasSalvaje
06-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Does c/b mean captive bred or captive born? If it means captive bred what do you call the babies that were born in captivity of a wild caught female?
Technically CB is just captive born, meaning that the mother could have been collected in the wild while gravid and then gives birth in captivity.

CBB is the term you should be looking for if you are looking for a baby that came from parent stock that both bred and gave birth in captivity.

If you are looking to buy morphs it usually doesn't matter if they say "CB" or "CBB", however if that is important to you make sure you ask whomever you are dealing with if the baby is a captive bred and born individual.

These titles are usually to make ads or their titles stick out with as few characters as possible. If you are interested in an animal make sure you ask the seller as many questions as possible to clear up any confusion.

-Thomas

Hollis_Steed
06-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Ok, thanks for clearing the c/b issue up for me. It helps to know how different people might interpret these abbreviations. I dare say that there are many who would be claiming c/b and mean it as captive bred when it "technically" means captive born.

Stefan-A
06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Technically CB is just captive born,
..provided that whoever is using it is distinguishing between captive bred and captive born. Otherwise it can mean both.