PDA

View Full Version : poor checker anyone else notice this

mustang
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
when im holding checker if it touch him with the other hand to stoke him or somthin he jumps up like hes startled but if i do it quickly (fast little taps) he will jummp quick and fast....by jump i mean well he shakes inside...gets hard then turns back to normal feeling ...at first i thought it was cuz he wasnt used to me but its been a year and he still does it...its not noticable much to the untrained eye, u have to feel it to understand...anyone else have this experience?im clueless:confused:

infernalis
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Excessive handling stresses most snakes. ;)

mustang
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
but handling is supossed to get him used to me...only once twice a day...i knw he dosnt prefer to be handled or startled after what happend yesterday...he leadped off stick(i put him back in tank after handeling and he was movn his tongue around slowly like he does before he strikes and my hand was next to tank and i move it) right into the glass....poor checker....but do you think its stress? sometimes he likes being handled(he dosnt want to get taken out of cage but later he wont want to go back in) what is the wierd thing he does (gets hard and the relaxes(its a split second thing)

Tyrel26
06-16-2010, 05:29 PM
I only handle my snakes once or twice a week but they are fine when I do. If I try to handle them more than that they get annoyed. As much as we love our snakes they aren't puppies or kittens, its instinct for them to dislike being handled by a large creature.
(youre the large creature lol) Hope this helps

mustang
06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
it does help, but thers this girl that held him during sci fair and he liked b eing held by her...i took pic of it and put behind his tank and he either flees to it or is sleeping under the substraight right under her pic...and im trying to get him to be like steves snakes (they slither to him) ...but how does handeling lead to tensing.....after a year wouldnt he have gotten used to it?

guidofatherof5
06-16-2010, 06:25 PM
when im holding checker if it touch him with the other hand to stoke him or somthin he jumps up like hes startled but if i do it quickly (fast little taps) he will jummp quick and fast....by jump i mean well he shakes inside...gets hard then turns back to normal feeling ...at first i thought it was cuz he wasnt used to me but its been a year and he still does it...its not noticable much to the untrained eye, u have to feel it to understand...anyone else have this experience?im clueless:confused:

Careful, that snake might be misunderstanding you intensions. Maybe that tapping is some kind of mating signal. Heck, you might be engaged.:D

mustang
06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Careful, that snake might be misunderstanding you intensions. Maybe that tapping is some kind of mating signal. Heck, you might be engaged.:D
nope but he craps on me everynow and then...but so he dosnt learn crap=take me home i put him in a smaller plastic travel cage (as time out)....its not as much shaking as it is just geting tense really quick

ConcinusMan
06-16-2010, 11:08 PM

LoL. That was hilarious Steve.:D