PDA

View Full Version : Collection care with other snakes

Atlas511
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a question but I am not sure where to post it. I recently aquired a wc T. radix. I plan to keep her. I also own many CB retics. here are my questions.

1. When I get more cb T.radix can I house them right next to my wc female?
2. Can I house those cb and wc T. radix in my retic room?
3. If I take in more wc females can I introduce them in?

thank you guy,,,, im new here and appreciate the help

I took better pics of my girl. I will post them soon.

bkhuff1s
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Well here there enough people that breed radix that taking from the wild shouldn't be an issue.

Garters can be house together. This actually reduces the flight response in them, as long as you have a hand-able one in the group.

As long as the retic's are caged separately I can't see this being an issue.

If you're not tending to breed, then housing multiple snakes together of the same snake isn't an issue. Many of us actually house them in this manner. Not me at the moment.

bkhuff1s
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I would imagine you wouldn't keep a retic that was taken from the wild. Well I wouldn't... that's a huge snake

Tyrel26
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Im not an expert like some of the people here (yes some of you are experts even if you don't realize it lol) but do not house wc and cb snakes together!! I would even house them side by side until the wc was tested for parasites; but the other fine people here will be able to give you greater detail on this matter

Charis
06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Especially with the wild caught ones, you should quarantine them for about 3 months before mixing them with your other snakes just to make sure they don't have any health issues, like mites or parasites. If you can, it is best to quarantine them in a separate room, if you can't, just keep the cages as far away as you can from each other & don't cross handle them or the objects in their cages. It's good to do that with any new reptile you get, whether CB or not also.

bkhuff1s
06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
That's true about the WC/CB that didn't cross my mind. My WC Puget Sounds were in a separate room from my CB GTP for about a year and a half. Now they are caged side my side though now, without and difficulties.

guidofatherof5
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Im not an expert like some of the people here (yes some of you are experts even if you don't realize it lol) but do not house wc and cb snakes together!! I would even house them side by side until the wc was tested for parasites; but the other fine people here will be able to give you greater detail on this matter

Good point to bring up.

Quarantine period- set a length of time and don't violate it. I do 90 days. You don't want to introduce problems into your other snakes. You can lose them all doing that.

Atlas511
06-10-2010, 02:38 PM
very well put guys! thanks! im housing her in a different room then. I DO plan to breed in the future. I actually want to try and find or buy a male for her. I will keep her alone for 90 days.

should I worry about houseing the CB garters in my retic room?

guidofatherof5
06-10-2010, 02:44 PM
very well put guys! thanks! im housing her in a different room then. I DO plan to breed in the future. I actually want to try and find or buy a male for her. I will keep her alone for 90 days.

should I worry about houseing the CB garters in my retic room?

I don't see where that would be a problem.
Can't think of any at this time.

Atlas511
06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Cool thanks!

The Snake Whisperer
07-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I find garters are very social creatures & really want the company of other garters. One I used to house alone escaped three times, each time I found her curled atop the nearest enclosure that housed another snake. In the wild, I rarely ever see a garter alone.
Garters are also very curious creatures, they love looking at contrasting bright colors & occasionally when my garters are restless and I know they aren't hungry, just putting a magazine cover against their wall for them to look at or laying the Sunday comics across the top of their is enough for them to stop "cruising for escape possibilities" and happily check out the pictures. They also absolutely love looking at themselves in a mirror. I keep a small mirror taped to the outside of my garter cages and often a group of snakes in a community enclosure will all be checking themselves out in the mirror together.

ConcinusMan
07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Good point to bring up.

Quarantine period- set a length of time and don't violate it. I do 90 days. You don't want to introduce problems into your other snakes. You can lose them all doing that.

A WC snake can live with parasites for years with no apparent ill effects and so, simply quarantining them for 90 days isn't necessarily enough. A WC snake can deficate in the water, which can then be drank by the CB snake, thus risking parasites being transferred to the CB snake. The CB snake might not have the immunity or ability to keep the parasites from doing harm to it.

I keep WC snakes together. NO WC snake has, nor will ever be kept in the same container as any CB snakes of mine. Internal parasites or not, I do not treat WC snakes for parasites. There's no need if the snakes are healthy and thriving. Same room is not really a problem if the snakes are mite-free. Even babies born of WC parents are separated immediately and all precautions for keeping the babies parasite-free are observed. Hand washing and bleaching of items being transfered from a WC tank to a CB tank is a good idea.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't place WC snakes in with your CB snakes unless they have been confirmed to be free of parasites by fecal exam, vet visit, and have had a substantial quarantine period. "Nasties" that WC snakes can carry without harm, could do harm to CB snakes especially CB snakes that are many generations removed from the wild.

WC snakes of the same species, from separated populations, can have different immunities to different parasites as well. Just look at history and see what diseases that europeans brought over and introduced to the native Americans. Those diseases nearly wiped out the natives but have almost no effect on the europeans. Same thing applies to different populations of WC garters.

mustang
07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
how much does it cost to test and possably treat parisites

ConcinusMan
07-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't know. Never did it. No vet here where I live will even look at a garter snake of any kind. Even if they would, prices are as variable as garters snakes are.

You'll have to consult your local veteranarians and compare prices for initial visit/physical, and then there is the price for the lab bill for fecal exam.

My dog vet says most fecal exams to look for common parasites(hookworms, flatworms) run about $65. Personally, any snake I've had that carried parasites didn't need the exam. The snakes either suffered no ill effects, or if they did have ill effects, parasites were obvious by finding dead worms passed into the water or tank.(That only happened to me once, earlier this spring and those snakes were released where I found them, instead of keeping them)

mustang
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know. Never did it. No vet here where I live will even look at a garter snake of any kind. Even if they would, prices are as variable as garters snakes are.
ouch rough vets

ConcinusMan
07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Well, not only do almost none of them have any knowledge of treating snakes, but as soon as you mention a garter snake, that's it. They won't treat any animal that is native. Since garter snakes live here, to them ANY garter is the same thing, native or not.

We really don't have all-around vets here. Most are dog and cat vets, or they are livestock vets.

I've been with the same vet for so many years, and built trust, that I have brought my garters in for a quick look-over and weighing when I bring my dogs in for routine stuff. The vet really likes my garters and says they are in perfect health. It's just that he can't officially treat them due to laws. He still looks at them(unofficially) and gives good advice. He says it's best to NOT treat my snakes with pancur or deworming if they are not having any problems. I'm sure if one of my garters got sick, he'd help me out under the table. He said he'd be willing to do fecal exams and label it as "reptile" feces. There really hasn't been any need for that as all of my garters are thriving and WC are kept separate from CB.

mustang
07-05-2010, 04:00 PM
stupid law you could deffinatly argue on that one since not all garters are the same

ConcinusMan
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes I know, but the vets don't want to argue about it. They just refuse to treat garter snakes period.

guidofatherof5
07-05-2010, 06:21 PM
A WC snake can live with parasites for years with no apparent ill effects and so, simply quarantining them for 90 days isn't necessarily enough. A WC snake can deficate in the water, which can then be drank by the CB snake, thus risking parasites being transferred to the CB snake. The CB snake might not have the immunity or ability to keep the parasites from doing harm to it.

I should have clarified my statement with the fact a clean fecal examine should be done before a WC snakes in introduced into a collection, any collection WC or CB.

mustang
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Yes I know, but the vets don't want to argue about it. They just refuse to treat garter snakes period.
then screw them apparently hypocratic oath aint nothn to them...when i get my doctors degree ill be sure to visit your city andbe publicly output about tretaing non indiginous garters

ConcinusMan
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
They probably would if I had some sort of documentation to prove it. The bottom line is, they are bound by law and are surely no I.D. experts so they just decline. I can't blame the vet.