PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Florida

oki-inu
06-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I've been lurking here a little while and now that I have some garters I guess it's time to join in. I'm new to garters but not to snakes. I've loved snakes as long as I can remember.

I can't remember ever even seeing a garter snake in the wild until just last year in front of my house, haven't seen one since. I grew up in New Jersey and never saw one there. I've kept boas and small pythons and bred some corns.

I bought a male Eastern Garter (supposedly het albino) at Repticon for my son and a baby Red Spotted Garter from Don - my son claimed that for himself, too. :) More to come, I'm sure. Many thanks to all on this forum for the great care sheets and informative posts.

http://www.iherp.com/Gallery/92912/44700_93650_Large_57fpBl47svSsk.jpg

http://www.iherp.com/Gallery/92912/44701_93652_Large_GJZ0Zxjb3F7jtWR.jpg

Stefan-A
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi there! Nice snakes! the second snake pictured though is actually a checkered garter, not an eastern garter. It's very possible that it's het albino though, albino checkereds are a very well established morph! :D

Jeff B
06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome! I would agree with Shannon, looks like a checkered although it is a bit on the dark end, so I can see how it might be mistaken as an eastern, but the thin yellow/orange dorsal and the perfect square black checkers and the head and neck patten give it away as checkered to me.

guidofatherof5
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Very nice to have you on the forum.

infernalis
06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

gregmonsta
06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Greetings :D

Odie
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi, from Oregon, oki-inu :)

ConcinusMan
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi, and welcome! Myself and Odie are fortunate enough to live in the heart of T.s. concinnus territory.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2742/gedc1428.jpg

oki-inu
06-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi there! Nice snakes! the second snake pictured though is actually a checkered garter, not an eastern garter. It's very possible that it's het albino though, albino checkereds are a very well established morph! :D

Thanks, I didn't know. I'm still new at this. :o I'm glad I posted the pic. The guy was selling a trio, 1 was albino, 1 was a much larger normal - probably female, and the male that I got. I didn't care if it was het, but he said it was. I didn't want all three. They were the only garters I saw at the show here in Orlando. No water snakes either.

I appreciate everyone's welcome. Thanks.

Mommy2many
06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut!

Laura
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Wlecome from England ^^

ConcinusMan
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks, I didn't know. I'm still new at this. :o I'm glad I posted the pic. The guy was selling a trio, 1 was albino, 1 was a much larger normal - probably female, and the male that I got. I didn't care if it was het, but he said it was. I didn't want all three. They were the only garters I saw at the show here in Orlando. No water snakes either.

I appreciate everyone's welcome. Thanks.

Yeah, albino checkereds are produced in good quantities every year. If they said it was het, it probably is. Hets don't really demand much more money, if any more, than regular snakes so there's really no motivation to lie about it.

A lot of breeders breed albino checkereds so lots of hets are produced in the process.

infernalis
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah, albino checkereds are produced in good quantities every year. If they said it was het, it probably is. Hets don't really demand much more money, if any more, than regular snakes so there's really no motivation to lie about it.

A lot of breeders breed albino checkereds so lots of hets are produced in the process.

I disagree.

Depending on the species of snake, a lot of people have been fleeced by misleading information.

the well known breeders who post here are all I trust.

Stefan-A
06-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm inclined to agree with Wayne here. It makes people more eager to buy the snake you're selling and they're prepared to pay a bit, if not a lot more for it. There is a motivation to lie about it.