PDA

View Full Version : Pneumonia

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-02-2010, 04:18 AM
So this past week has not been good for me and the snakes.... I started getting a cough last week which ended up in me being wiped out all weekend.... Fevers, chest cough, headaches, can't catch a breath, the works. (hence my lack of presence on the forums) Well the doctor told me last night I have pneumonia. Ok great. Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear, that I have pneumonia, in June, when my snakes are even MORE high maintenance and I can't do anything for them. I've been so sick I have't been able to tend to them since Friday... And now it looks like I'm out of the count until at least this Friday... What do I do!??!! My poor garters, I know they are hungry, and silly me, I'm too busy coughing up my own lungs! I am under strict order from my doctor to remain as immobile as possible. If I don't I could end up hospitalized... But if I do the snakes get neglected. I feel so stuck. Uugghhh. What to do!? (sorry for the solid brick of text, I'm posting from my phone!) I guess why I'm posting is because I'm a bit panicked here and I need to hear from others if they've had similar experiences and that my snakes are not all going to die.... :rolleyes:

Laura
06-02-2010, 04:26 AM
Aww feel better! *long distance telekinetic healing thoughts* Did the doctor give you any nebulizers?

Stefan-A
06-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Sorry to hear it.

Well, what can you do? They can make it without food just fine for long time and cleaning enclosures is rarely urgent. You can even skip a water change, provided that they haven't actually defecated in their bowls.

drache
06-02-2010, 04:40 AM
oh Shannon - I'm so sorry you're sick
I had been wondering what kept you away
your snakes are not going to die, Shannon
I had some really nasty, dying-preferable-to-this kind of respiratory stuff for a few winters after 9/11, and ended up so weak with weight loss that for lengthy periods I was unable to do anything. I did call on the family a little bit, to change some water bowls, and the snakes were all fine.
I wish I could come over and help, but it is a bit far

infernalis
06-02-2010, 05:15 AM
I wish I could come over and help, but it is a bit far

Same here...

Get well soon Shanon.

ssssnakeluvr
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
sorry to hear that....get better soon! the snakes will be fine....they can go for long periods without food...even the babies. missing a week won't hurt them. that has happened to me a time or 2 over the years...had to skip a feeding for a few days....never bothered the snakes :cool:

charles parenteau
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear that !!
Take care of yourself first Shannon!!!If you can only give food to the one who really need it.When you have such a large collection like you do you should always have a plan B ...if you know someone with a lot of reptiles,you should maybe make an arrangement ,the person can take care of your snake or at least take a look and do the minimum to be safe,someday this person will need help from your side...That will happen again for other reason ,such a hollyday for exemple.

Hope you feel better soon .....

Charles.

guidofatherof5
06-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Take care of yourself Shannon. Put your boyfriend to work changing waters. The food part can wait.
Your snakes will understand:D

Better idea, ship all of them to me. A few years after your better I'll think about sending them all back:D

charles parenteau
06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Steve lol:)

bkhuff1s
06-02-2010, 12:08 PM
If you're near me I'd be willing to lend a hand for a day

ConcinusMan
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Ship them all to me. Problem solved.;)

Seriously though, your snakes are very well cared for and hardy. You could just cool them down a bit. They can wait.

So sorry to hear your not feeling well but it's very important that you comply with DRs orders. I had pneumonia back in 2001 and didn't even know it until I suddenly spiked a fever of 103 and started coughing up blood. Dr. said I was about 24 hours away from death when I went in to see him. That crap is definitely not fun. Take care of yourself or you won't be around to take care of your snakes at all. You know darn well they will be fine for a week or two. You can make it up to them when you're feeling better.

snakeman
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Make sure you are getting enough sleep.If you are up hacking all night it will last forever.I was hospitalized like 4 years ago.I could'nt sleep with all the hacking.Plus I had to work.when I was in the hospital they gave me codiene to help me sleep and 4 days later I was fine.You have to rest!

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I got a lot of rest yesterday and last night. Thankfully, when I got out of bed this morning (I had to, to receive a box from Joe anyways) and took some medicine, I felt much better and was able to move around the house a bit. I sat out on the front porch for hours today. In fact my other symptoms are gone, aside from the respiratory ones.... The antibiotic he gave me is very strong, and the inhaler helps a lot. Had chest Xrays yesterday and was told the doctor would call me if anything was wrong. He never called, so I think that's a good thing. :cool:

guidofatherof5
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
So I guess that means you won't be shipping your snakes to me:rolleyes:

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-02-2010, 08:31 PM
haha, steve, I'll ship all my snakes to you, if you'll ship me that lovely yellow baby checkered! let me know when she's on the way!!! ;)

guidofatherof5
06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Sorry, little Bumblebee will be staying right hear on the Ranch.

aSnakeLovinBabe
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Haha, no doubt! All of my snakes are staying here too :cool:

ConcinusMan
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
D'oh!

gregmonsta
06-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Glad to hear you're on the mend :)