PDA

View Full Version : Is my girl pregnant or not?

hitsurfer
05-31-2010, 02:38 AM
Inspired of another thread I wonder if you guys can tell whether this 110 cm./+300 g. girl is pregnant or not?

She has been together with a guy from 15th march - 10th april. I observed mating three times.

She's still eating but I have been cutting the portions down so the's not big because of feedings but maybe just fat - or pregnant?:)

I'm looking forward to hear your opinion:)

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8782/dsc00573wf.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3750/dsc00571k.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5279/dsc00570nl.jpg

indigoman
05-31-2010, 04:04 AM
I would say get the baby room ready!

Tyrel26
05-31-2010, 05:54 AM
she looks gravid to me, but there are other people here that will be more certain

ssssnakeluvr
05-31-2010, 06:54 AM
she looks gravid to me.

guidofatherof5
05-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Looks gravid.
I definately would not reduce her food intake.
Remember, she's feeding all those little scrubs.
My females want extra food while they are gravid. This usually starts shortly after mating.

hitsurfer
06-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Hi

I just had a theory that too big meals would make a press on the babies - don't know how to explain it english - så I thought that smaller meals served more often was a better way to feed her when she's pregnant:-)

guidofatherof5
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi

I just had a theory that too big meals would make a press on the babies - don't know how to explain it english - så I thought that smaller meals served more often was a better way to feed her when she's pregnant:-)

That theory makes sense but remember Garters are baby making machine and know more about having them than us. Their design is awesome.
I could understand your concern if their diet consisted of mice only. Then the skulls and other bones would have to pass the chain of babies which could(theoretically) press on that chain. Worms and fish would be safer in that respect.
I'm glad to see your concern about her safety during this awesome time.
Best of luck with your little scrubs when they arrive.
Remember, we love baby pictures.......and require it:D

hitsurfer
06-02-2010, 01:54 AM
I will keep on feeding her normal until she gives birth. And of course I will post some pics when the babies arrive:-)

ConcinusMan
06-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Just take it easy during mid to late stages and don't get her over stuffed.

ssssnakeluvr
06-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I could understand your concern if their diet consisted of mice only. Then the skulls and other bones would have to pass the chain of babies which could(theoretically) press on that chain. Worms and fish would be safer in that respect.

the bones are digested so they aren't a problem

guidofatherof5
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
the bones are digested so they aren't a problem

What I meant was before the bones are digested.
With that being said I don't suppose there is anyway for bones to come in contact with the egg chain since it comes after the bones have dissolved and the food item has passed into the small intestine.
Then it passes through the large intestine, colon, rectum and out into the water dish.:D

ConcinusMan
06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I knew what Steve meant. Yes, they are digested but they still have to go inside in the first place.

hitsurfer
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Update:

She used to eat like a horse but yesterday she only ate 2 fish:confused: Her weigth is now 350 grams

Today is day 80 counting from the day I observed breeding for the first time (15th march).

She does a alot of twitching, I hope it's normal.

I have moved her to an escape proof cage now - the wait is unbelievable hard:rolleyes:

snakee
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi,

she looks also gravid to me!
That is totaly normal! They usually stop eating the days before birth.
I think the next days you will get a lot of nice babys :)
Keep the substrate a little bit wet now.
Good luck!

Best wishes,
Manuel

ConcinusMan
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Sometimes the twitching is to produce body heat for the little ones inside her. She shouldn't have to do that if she's warm enough and I think you'll find if you increase the temperature, the twitching will stop.

guidofatherof5
06-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Update:

She used to eat like a horse but yesterday she only ate 2 fish:confused: Her weigth is now 350 grams

Today is day 80 counting from the day I observed breeding for the first time (15th march).

She does a alot of twitching, I hope it's normal.

I have moved her to an escape proof cage now - the wait is unbelievable hard:rolleyes:

Sounds like her time is close.
Best of luck:D

hitsurfer
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated:D