PDA

View Full Version : new girl from WI!

BlaqueKatt
05-29-2010, 10:08 PM
hey used to have wild caught garters as a kid, lucky to have parents that allowed me to explore nature-usually only kept them over the winter if the looked skinny and released them during mating season. Though I do remember one girl that I had for 4 years before release-what can I say? I got attached :D.

Joined because I got my husband to agree to let me get a baby checkered garter snake being sold by a collector/breeder on craigslist. I did check him out, he is a responsible breeder and keeps his stock healthy-has and breeds, garters, Ca kingsnakes, and milksnakes and they are well loved/cared for.

I'm just kind of nervous as I've never had a baby snake before-though I have owned "red belly" snakes that max out at 6-8" and grass snakes-fed pretty much on crickets, mealworms, earthworms, and guppies/goldfish-anything I should know about/do differently with a baby? Other than the obvious of let him/her have a few days to get settled in it's new home.

I haven't gotten the snake just yet as I want to have everything ready for it first and as much of a perfectionist as I am it takes me a few days to get everything "just right" for a new little companion!

Stefan-A
05-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard.

guidofatherof5
05-30-2010, 06:56 AM
Nice to have you with us.
A good place to start would be the care sheet, here's a link.
http://www.thamnophis.com/caresheets/index.php?title=Garter_Snake_Care_Sheet

gregmonsta
05-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Greetings :D. That care-sheet is really the best place to start ;)

Mommy2many
05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the forum!

mustang
05-30-2010, 01:02 PM
hey i got a checkered theyre never 2 the same all are different! even patterns on back differ!:Dgreat choice...dont feed it insects thats not a good idea!
Oh welcome

Odie
05-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi, from Oregon, BlaqueKatt :)

bkhuff1s
05-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Welcome, I'm sure your collection and experiences will expand ;)

sschind
05-31-2010, 05:50 AM
Another Cheesehead. Welcome aboard.

infernalis
05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

MasSalvaje
05-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Wayne said it a lot better than I can but Welcome!

-Thomas

Quibble
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Welcome from MI :)

drache
06-01-2010, 04:39 AM
welcome to the forum
didn't know that wisconsins are cheese heads

sschind
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
welcome to the forum
didn't know that wisconsins are cheese heads

Wisconsin is known as America's dairy land and is known for its cheese (although it is no longer the leading dairy producer in the country.) Several years ago certain Illinois sports fans started to derogatorily refer to Wisconsinites as cheeseheads. Far from having the desired effect most Wisconsinites embraced the term as a compliment and use it endearingly.

If you are looking for cheeseheads (or cheese anything else for that matter) check this site out.

http://www.cheesehead.com/

drache
06-05-2010, 06:27 AM
nobody who's into Wallace & Gromit could think of the term "cheesehead" as derogatory
besides - the Dutch are the cheeseheads of Europe, so it's good company

ConcinusMan
06-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I love cheese. Why, i just plucked some from by belly button.. no wait.

I really do love cheese. I'll see if I can get my garters converted over right away.:p