PDA

View Full Version : Constipated!

Quibble
05-18-2010, 11:36 AM
It was feeding day last night and Gimpie was uninterested for the 3rd feeding in a row. I've noticed some weightloss over the last couple weeks, though I havn't been too concerened because shes fatter than the others. However, after watching her, I noticed shes having trouble deficating. She is ever so slightly bulged just above the cloaca so I know theres something there for her to pass. But she pushes so hard, and only small ammounts are passed tinted with blood.
I've moved her to a smaller enclosure with paper towel with styrofoam and egg carton hides, and have been giving her frequent 10 minute soaks in warm water in tupperware containers. I have found 3 small fecal spots in her enclosure with a pink tint around them. At least something is going through, but the near future still doesnt look too good.
I feel a vet visit is impractical, seeing as how she is wild caught, I have no idea of her age, and I just spent $210 for a vet after discovering one of my cats has jaundice, and were not even finished with her yet. Im hoping Gimpie will be able to pull through this, if not I'm doing everything in my power to make her last days as comfortable as possible. I guess its a good thing she hasnt eaten much lately, the blocage could be much more severe.

ConcinusMan
05-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Doesn't sound good that's for sure. I'd say warm water soakings and some forced swimming to loosen things up, but it sounds like it's already a bit beyond that point. Still, might be saved with proper medical attention.

Quibble
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I really am debating the vet thing.
Although, Im not even sure theres a blockage. She didnt feel bloated much at all during her last swim. But im still finding tiny pinkish poo spots on the paper towel.
Im keeping a close eye on her. I dont know if I should be offering her food or not.

Mommy2many
05-19-2010, 01:42 AM
What did she eat last? I thought I have read on the forum at one time that certain food items can produce fecal samples with a "reddish" tint. Are you sure it's blood? Keeping fingers crossed for you & her.

drache
05-19-2010, 04:53 AM
if she is really blocked up, I doubt that she would eat, so offering food might give you some info

Quibble
05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
The last thig she ate was 1 worm on May 3rd. I'm going worm hunting this afternoon see if I can find her a nightcrawler or 5.

ConcinusMan
05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
The only time I find night crawlers is when I'm not looking for them. I cheat and buy them.

Quibble
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah I gave up looking and went and bought some. But she wasnt interested in food today... :(

Quibble
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Shes not doing good at all. I havnt seen any new spots over the last 24 hours. But shes very limp and smells musky.
Maybe the soaks I gave her stressed her out and made it worse....

Tyrel26
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
I doubt the soaks made it any worse, you did all you could do; bringing her to a vet may be the only hope...if it isn't already too late.

ConcinusMan
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Sounds too late is she's limp. Smell could indicate rotting food inside due to an impaction.

Quibble
05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Gimpie passed away sunday morning. Because of my confusion if it were a blockage or not I called a vet (a small animal and exotics clinic) to ask their opinion. They say it may have been a blockage but not necessarily due to consuming foreign objects. The bedding I had in her cage was that forest ground stuff that you add water to and it expands, they said that stuff is easily passed most of the time. Being that I've had her for a year or so (and never knew her actual age,) and she has always been so abnormally tame, they think it was old age and her organs were just shutting down, causing the swelling and the traces blood while she could still have minimal bowel movements.

I am atrociously guilty for not taking her sooner, but my decision not to is justified, though it doesnt make me feel any better.

On top of all of this, my job is ending this week.

Thank you all for the help, even though I selfishly didnt listen.

infernalis
05-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Condolences for your loss.

Mommy2many
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Listen to the vets words and don't be so hard on yourself. Perhaps it really was old age and she lived a wonderful life with you.