PDA

View Full Version : Females more colorful than males?

ianrambell
05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
All of the female high red radix I have caught have more color than the males. Is this just the way it is are females usally more colorful than the males?

Thanks,
Ian

Odie
05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
And what about WB to CB :confused:

drache
05-14-2010, 04:40 AM
I have three males that are more colourful than their female counterparts

ConcinusMan
05-14-2010, 06:16 AM
It's just coincidence. Color is not affected by sex.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-14-2010, 08:08 AM
there is some correlation to what Ian is saying, in regards to erythristic animals. In both high red easterns and plains, just about every one ever found was female. In fact Scott sent me one that was supposed to be a male and even that guy turns out to be a female! So now, We do see them born captively (male ery's), but the erythrism seems to favor the females, by a lot. Kind of like how the silver eastern gene heavily favors males. As far as normal wild types of garters.... males and females are pretty equal.

Tyrel26
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
well i have always found the female red sides here in canada look as though they had more red, but i think its just because they are fatter and thus show more of the color under the scales; because whenever the males fed and got a full belly they too showed more red. i may be wrong but thats what ive noticed with the snakes ive seen. :)

Odie
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
well i have always found the female red sides here in canada look as though they had more red, but i think its just because they are fatter and thus show more of the color under the scales; because whenever the males fed and got a full belly they too showed more red. i may be wrong but thats what ive noticed with the snakes ive seen. :)
Seems about right to me :o:o

BUSHSNAKE
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
i have heard a nice male red plains garter are hard to come by