PDA

View Full Version : Bitter/Sweet Release

guidofatherof5
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Last year I acquired a couple Brown Snake(Storeria dekayi) One was a rescued gravid female that gave birth shortly after arriving.
I decided today to release them all. They have been a lot of fun to raise but I also need room for my radix population.
I picked out a place that offered them great cover and an abundance of food(slugs and snails). I've also seen a large population of dekayis in the area.
I tipped the small container over and expected a mass exodus to the tall grass. To my surprise they casually made there way out. This made me uneasy as I thought they didn't want to go. Within 30 seconds of leaving the container one of them was already pulling a snail from its shell. That made me feel much better as they all made their way out of site.
I'm sure before the year is out I'll have another opportunity to work with these special snakes.
Live long and prosper little dekayis.

ConcinusMan
05-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Awwww... I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

gregmonsta
05-04-2010, 04:34 AM
:) you'd better listen out for little knocks on the door when they decide to come back for a visit ;).

guidofatherof5
05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
:) you'd better listen out for little knocks on the door when they decide to come back for a visit ;).

It didn't take a knock on the door.
While reorganizing their old enclosure for the new radix residents I found two dekayis that avoided capture yesterday. They are so small and the same color as the substrate. I guess it was meant to be that I have some dekayis on the Ranch. They will be housed with a group of young radixes. I'll see how they do. I may have to release them at some point.
To be honest, seeing those beautiful dekayi faces this morning was just what I needed.

Odie
05-04-2010, 06:17 PM
No, no I just got something in my eye man :o

guidofatherof5
05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
My two dekayis that are living in a radix group seem to be doing fine.
During feeding time tonight they were right up in the dish pigging.
That made me feel much better as that means they can stay on the Ranch.

infernalis
05-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I have always kept mine in mixed company with garters and they always seem to do just fine Steve.

Heck, that is how Xena wound up eating pinks in the first place, copying the garter snakes.