PDA

View Full Version : Catching Nerodia (am I going to die?)

lokai99
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I have watersnake on the brain thanks to some beautiful pics shared on here. Well, that led to some research on funnel traps and visions of beautiful red bellied, banded... you get the idea. Has anyone ever caught one using a baited funnel trap? I'm cautious and eager to hear some feedback. I live in Alabama and i'm not wishing to catch a moccasin..I have seen red bellieds where i'd like to set this trap.
Next question...is CB a likely option? I'd rather have a captive bred for all the same reasons anyone else chooses captive...parasites, population impact, and I have never attempted to keep a wild caught snake, although I have handled many and find them to be gentle once they figure out i'm not causing them physical pain or attempting to make a meal of them.

bsol
04-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Where do you live?

I like to snake hunt so trapping isnt my deal...
I have a baby northern watersnake who's, excuse my french, the poop. Super interactive.

lokai99
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I live in a the tiny little city of Troy here in AL. I think I have decided against my dreams of watersnakes. I have been hearing alot of warnings about fragility, fungal infections and difficulty in keeping them healthy in captivity. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback about keeping your little northern. The bandeds, are really beautiful.

bsol
04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I've never had any issues with any of the water snakes I've housed. They always eat great, not picky, and done well. I think they are fun and some are very vibrant in color.
In the south, the diamondback water snake its beautiful. Awesome greys and some have the red/pink eyes. I know Shannon has a few Northerns that are super red that look amazing.

guidofatherof5
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I've got 5 water snakes(2-Northern, 3-Hypo Florida Banded) They are young but doing well. No trouble at all.

infernalis
04-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Had one now for years, he's doing great.

No more difficult to keep than a garter snake.

lokai99
04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
what are you all feeding, anyone switched a wild caught over to mice?

infernalis
04-30-2010, 09:09 PM
what are you all feeding, anyone switched a wild caught over to mice?

yep, mine eats rodents all the time. Used to eat fish, but I have him "converted"

http://www.thamfriends.com/photos/aquapink.jpg

lokai99
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
you're giving me hope here :)

infernalis
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
from my experience, they are an easy keep.

lokai99
05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Well he is a beautiful snake. I can only imagine how many people ask you if he is poisonous. Here in Alabama every snake is either a cottonmouth or a rattlesnake no matter what color or pattern the lil guy has.

infernalis
05-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Whenever I show him off, people move away until I clarify that he is harmless.

Same deal with my eastern Milk snakes, people call them "spotted adders" and tend to be afraid. Mine don't even bite or musk! Harmless animals.

bsol
05-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Whenever I show him off, people move away until I clarify that he is harmless.

Same deal with my eastern Milk snakes, people call them "spotted adders" and tend to be afraid. Mine don't even bite or musk! Harmless animals.

I love it! "spotted adders"

infernalis
05-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I assume that the term was born way back when the first settlers arrived.

In Europe snakes are referred to as "adders" and milk snakes have spots...

Throughout my childhood, I was warned by mom to stay clear of them.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Nerodia make fantastic pets. Quite honestly, pet-wise, moreso than garters. They become a level of "tame" that's not like any other snake!

infernalis
05-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Nerodia make fantastic pets. Quite honestly, pet-wise, moreso than garters. They become a level of "tame" that's not like any other snake!

I knew it was only a matter of time before Shannon chimed in. ;)

She is equally fond of them.

lokai99
05-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Well question now is where do I find mine..how available are they in the pet trade?

ConcinusMan
05-02-2010, 01:06 AM

don't listen to her. She's the devil and she's trying to tempt us away from garter snakes so she can keep them all for herself! :p JK.

"Tame" is often a label. A snake can be "tame", but to me, a snake that is tame, is often one snatched from the wild. One that has "intelligence" One that adapts well, one that seems to understand it's situation. One that chooses human interaction rather than avoiding it. My point is, all rubber boas are docile, often the word "docile" is exchanged with the word "tame". To me those words are not the same meaning. To call a rubber boa "tame" is like calling every slug you encounter as "tame". Seriosly shannon, if you ever picked up a wild rubber boa, they wrap around you like you're mom. They treat you like family. Tame? No. Docile nature, yes.

Why is a slug tame? simply because it does not put up a fight? Provide for all it's needs and it is content?

That's not tame. That's docile nature.

"Tame" is an animal with a normally hostile/defensive nature, which, in captivity, behaves in contradiction to that hostile nature. e.g. a "Tame Lion"

Fortunately for Shannon, she has very loving and supporting family and has had the opportunity to persue her interests long enough to "sample" many species. She does have good insight for many of them. She knows some species are downright wild and nasty. Find one gem among those, and that is a "tame" individual.

Think about what you are asking for lokai. There are many captive bred species that can fit your bill. I mean, they can be what you are looking for. There might even be a reptile rescue/adoption place near you where you can get an outright friendly and personable snake to fit that need. Doesn't have to be a Neroida necessarily, does it?

bsol
05-02-2010, 06:51 AM
No... haha we're splitting hairs.

Last time I caught a wild water snake it didnt wrap around my hand like i was mom... its tried sinking its teeth in me like a cornered racoon would, and stunk up the area like it was a skunk. Fortunatley for me after a few short weeks, the little guy learned I was no longer a threat and started eating guppies right out of my hands.

tame(adjective) - changed from the wild or savage state; domesticated: a tame bear.

ConcinusMan
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Good definition, and that's what I was getting at. CHANGED from the wild state. If a snake in the wild is already docile, then is it really appropriate to call it tame? I know, I'm just picking at details.

I want a red eastern milk so bad. Some lucky members have them right outside their door.

lokai99
05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
No, the next snake doesn't have to be a Nerodia,but beautiful pictures of someone's pet do get you thinking about experiencing a new species. It's what brought me here to learn about others' experiences and see if a garter is right for me. This exposure has led to my intrest in water snakes, african house snakes, sand boas and rosy boas.

ConcinusMan
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
I used to catch rosy boas in San Diego. They are quite wonderful.

bsol
05-02-2010, 12:06 PM
No, the next snake doesn't have to be a Nerodia,but beautiful pictures of someone's pet do get you thinking about experiencing a new species. It's what brought me here to learn about others' experiences and see if a garter is right for me. This exposure has led to my intrest in water snakes, african house snakes, sand boas and rosy boas.

Its obvious you're interested. You've come to the right place for your questions and concerns. If you want to house a Nerodia, I say go for it. They have a bad rap, but I'm telling you people who have them, love them.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
nerodia definitely have a bad rap..... But that's all because most people have only ever met one after grabbing it out of a lake! And then people wonder why it bites the crap out of you. That's what they have to do to stay alive. The meaner you are the longer you live. But once they realize that you are not a threat their intelligence and curiousity becomes very evident. Pet wise, nerodia has always been my favorite, with garters in second place.... I've currently got a whole bunch of fasciata pictiventris as well as some taxispilota. Sipedon I have kept as well... But I won't keep them long term until I acquire a color phase worth propagating...

bsol
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
here's a bad *** little guy!!
I had to google the scientific names that Shannon dropped. I'm not up on my super snake lingo!
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x202/SalineSnakeGuy85/Picture032.jpg

lokai99
05-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Haha..so did I, I yahoo image searched and found some nice pics. Shannon is pretty awesome :)

lokai99
05-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Concinnus man....do share some of your experience with the rosy boas....docile or able to be tamed?

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Haha, sorry guys.... I was using my phone and at the time I did not even stop to think... seriously how many people know what the #%%$#$ a taxispilota is?!!

lokai99
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Ummmm google does thank god bc I had no clue. I'm wondering what sort of effects this whole oil spill is going to have on the snakes in AL, FL...maybe the oil won't get into some of these brackish areas... :( that makes me sad.

ConcinusMan
05-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Haha..so did I, I yahoo image searched and found some nice pics. Shannon is pretty awesome :)

No, she's the awesomest! Is that even a word? :o

Some day I hope to find a gal as cute as her, and shares her passion for snakes!

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
No, she's the awesomest! Is that even a word? :o

Some day I hope to find a gal as cute as her, and shares her passion for snakes!

haha, you are making me blush :o

bsol
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I want a red eastern milk so bad. Some lucky members have them right outside their door.

I actually just caught 2 today. First time catching one since I moved to Pa. The second time in my life next to the Louisiana Milk Snake i caught 15 years ago.
I love'em.

Here's 1 of them.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/98frontier/Milkie1.jpg?t=1272923102
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/98frontier/Milkie2.jpg?t=1272923409

ConcinusMan
05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
oh man! me wants!

ConcinusMan
05-03-2010, 06:04 PM
haha, you are making me blush :o

LoL :D

guidofatherof5
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Tonight was a feed night for my 5 water snakes. I stopped by the pet store and picked up 50 Gambusis(mosquito fish).
One of my two Northern water snakes was waiting in the water as I poured the fish in. He had one eaten before I was finished and headed for another.
They Fish(hunt) much in the same way garter snakes do. Mouth open, sweeping the water. Once contact is made they grab the fish and eat it down. The only difference is that water snakes not only take the random fish they bump in to but also accelerate and catch them. Very cool snakes.

ConcinusMan
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
A couple of my ordinoides were doing that the past few days. You know, rooting around in the water. It's funny to watch. They aren't doing now. I guess 'cause they are bulging with night crawlers now.