PDA

View Full Version : Head injury(radix)

guidofatherof5
04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
While out on the front deck, I saw my next door neighbor cleaning up along his privacy fence. A few moments later he yelled and asked if I wanted a snake. Gabby ran by me like a shot and retrieved this female. My neighbor said he dropped a board on it and it might be injured(not done on purpose, he's a good guy) She seemed fine but has sustained an injury to the top of her head(parietal scales) She'll be kept under close observation over the next few days to make sure she's not going to have any complications. She's moving fine and doing a lot of tongue flicking. Poor girl. I'll feel much better when I see her eating and drinking and keeping it all down.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/injury.jpg

lestat
04-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Hope she will be ok.

guidofatherof5
04-24-2010, 03:40 PM
3.5 hours later she appears to be doing fine.
Good muscle control, movement and tongue flicking.
Pupils are equal and reactive.
Time will tell but so far she's acting normal.

Seere121
04-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Oh wow... that looks awful, I hope the garter turns out good. Looks kind of similar to an injury that an adopted ball python I have had on the front of his head from rubbing in a too small enclosure. He healed up good after a few sheds in a shiny new 40 gal tank.

gregmonsta
04-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Fingers crossed for her.

drache
04-25-2010, 04:51 AM
if she's acting fine, it's probably not a concussion

Quibble
04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
She's quite the survivor!

ConcinusMan
04-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Hard to tell from the pic but could this be an old injury? maybe the board dropping and the apparent injury are not related. I would think that a smash or blow to the head would often not be apparent right away, often no damage on the surface. It's hard to injure scales on the head, by smashing or blows without killing it. Generally speaking, those scales are tougher than the actual skull.

guidofatherof5
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Hard to tell from the pic but could this be an old injury? maybe the board dropping and the apparent injury are not related. I would think that a smash or blow to the head would often not be apparent right away, often no damage on the surface. It's hard to injure scales on the head, by smashing or blows without killing it. Generally speaking, those scales are tougher than the actual skull.

Not an old injury.

ConcinusMan
04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Still doing OK I take it? If so, she'll probably heal up just fine.

guidofatherof5
04-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Over the last two days I've seen her motor functions dropping. She was moving but appeared confusing or aimlessly wondering. I offered water and she took it.
This morning I found her dead. Mouth open and blood inside.
She was a fine normal phase radix, breeding age. It's a shame it had to end this way.

Stefan-A
04-29-2010, 05:51 AM
It's a shame.

gregmonsta
04-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Sorry she didn't make it mate.