PDA

View Full Version : Green garter

Tyrel26
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Hello all,

Im new to this site and Im new to the area to which i have just moved. The only garters I have had contact with before now are the red sides, but here the only type of garter we have is the maritime garter. Since I dont know much about this type i have a question. A few days ago I caught a green maritime garter but I am unable to find any other pictures of green maritime garters and Ive asked a lot of people from this area and they said they only ever seen brown, gray or black ones. So my question is, is this a rare color for this snake or is it common? Also I can add a pic if anyone would like to see it and has the time to tell me how lol

Thanks

Stefan-A
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
We've had a few green ones in the past here on the forum. Maritime garters in general seem to be relatively rare in the hobby.

Odie
04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Tyrel26 :)

ConcinusMan
04-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Welcome. I am from a few miles north of that guy^^^ Don't listen to him. My garters are way better than his. Of course, I'm only kidding. We have pretty much the same garter snakes.

One might argue that maritime garters are just a variation of Thamnophis sirtalis and they would be right. There are green maritime garters. They might not be common given all the examples of the sub-species but not at all impossible.

I give you one example. Now, this snake does appear to be an olive green color and photos aren't always true to real life color. Also, snakes can vary greatly depending on the lighting and if they are about to shed or just finished shedding.

does this look a bit like your snake? This snake is fairly green. No doubt that brighter or more vivid green can happen among maritime garters.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/jd/jdweb/Herps/species/USsnakes/thasirpal6.jpg

drache
04-20-2010, 05:05 AM
hi, Tyrel
welcome to the forum
here's a recent photo of Chloe, my green maritime garter

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4389741851_57e0fc474d.jpg

gregmonsta
04-20-2010, 05:21 AM
:rolleyes: loving the look of maritimes for sure.

guidofatherof5
04-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Hello, nice to have you with us.

Great looking snake Rhea.

stonyloam
04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Always nice to see Chloe!:D

Tyrel26
04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the replys, I am on my lunch break atm but Ill try to get a pic of my snake up here asap, and now I have another question lol. Why are maritime garters rare in the hobby? as someone has said earlier

thanks, nice to meet you all

ConcinusMan
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Nice snake