PDA

View Full Version : thamnophis not eating

Ctah_Lu
04-12-2010, 08:01 AM
hi, i have a male thamnophis that i believe that is already adult, thats because at only a few monts it "changes it skin" whit regularity(almost once at mont) and since two monts ago dont change its skin until yesterday, i ask is if this can affect the eating frecuency, also my snake was in a warmer place, then i move it to a colder place and again is in a warmer place, i feed it with molly fishes and until now i wasnt having feeding problems, only that the food was a little cold but i take care of that a few time ago.

i hope that someone can help me and explain me what is happening.

thanks a lot.

guidofatherof5
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Sometimes they just go off feeding.
How long has it been since your snake has eaten?

Max.Pyr
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
My snake also hasn't been eating for almost a month, I am concerned because he seems a bit of out of energy. I hope he starts eating again, maybe I will try to entice him with some nightcrawlers (I've been feeding him Tilapia.) Maybe he's about to go into a shed, his eyes seem clear though.

Ctah_Lu
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
its been like a month, but it doesnt seem tired, it is very active since i put it from a cold to a warm place.

Max.Pyr
05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Update, I've been feeding him earth worms from our garden which seems safe, the soil there is untouched by chemicals and so on. It's really hard to tell if the guy eats any though, it's rare I see him eating. When I go to collect the food dish it looks like he might be eating some of the worms but not all of them. I am unsure - has this ever happened to anyone else? Do you think he might eat better/be more obvious if I fed him in a smaller separate enclosure outside his tank? I might try a Pinkie again.

infernalis
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I always feed my snakes outside of the cage, it's a lot easier to monitor what they eat and how much.

guidofatherof5
05-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Have you tried guppies? They work wonders on non eaters.

Ctah_Lu
06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
i think that it was the season, he is already eating, i recomend live food like fishes because it moves and stimulates the snake, good luck Max.pyr

ConcinusMan
06-02-2010, 02:51 AM
I avoid live fish but sometimes, just one feeding of live can get them going again and you can go back to F/T silversides, or whatever.

Max.Pyr
06-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Well I am trying guppies and he looks kind of interested but he hasn't eaten any yet, if he doesn't eat anything, what are my options? I will keep trying - I'm worried he hasn't touched food for about a month now and he does not look like he's going to shed either.

mustang
06-18-2010, 01:38 PM
put her in a little moist enclosed container with worms and put it in a dark space...leave over night or for 2 days that may do the trick BE PPOSOTIVE LID IS SECURE and you might need to spray down the container (keep the worms alive) and also be sure to have a water source in there

Max.Pyr
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I actually tried that, I might try it again - the hard part is I have to carry this all this out in my bedroom, so the best I could do was throw a towel over the smaller encloser and hope that cut off all the excess light and noise, and I did keep the worms moist so they stayed alive.

I was thinking maybe that's whats getting him/her I have an erratic schedule and sometimes I'm up at night with the lights on, and it can be noisy.

If I were to move him to a different room do you think that would help? or throw a towel over the whole tank at night? I guess this should have been obvious but I wasn't sure if it would make a difference until I read the other thread with the guy who's snake wasn't eating. It's hard though because outside my room their are 6 pet cats, I could put him in the bathroom but people use the bathroom all night.

I will try everything, I really don't want to loose the little guy.

mustang
06-18-2010, 02:06 PM
when i did this i put the case (not that big of enclosure use tupplewear or whatever works) under my bed

Max.Pyr
06-18-2010, 02:15 PM
If he doesn't go for the guppies at all I will try that, thanks.

mustang
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
no prob...oh have you tried putting a sock on (or glove if big snake
) and tease feed? that also works sometimes

Max.Pyr
06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
No, I haven't but I figured the live guppies might have been enticing. + the snake does not seem to like stimulation via humans at all so I try to leave him alone when I feed him, he doesn't even like it when I walk by the cage which isn't really often.

I did rescue him from the wild when I was on the job and the people I was with disturbed his hibernating spot, it was in late november so I figured I couldn't put him back, since we had filled up his hole anyways and he got hit with a shovel. The wound didn't seem to have any effect on him for a long time so I don't think that is the cause btw, I think he may be very people shy though.

mustang
06-18-2010, 02:35 PM
lol w/c snakes are ver she...i bought checker a waterfall he uses it to try to escape or to climb in and get around to the motor so i cant get him....need to get him a soaking dish lol...well try everything you can and post it i want to know what works