PDA

View Full Version : (as a child, I found a gravid Thamnophis)my first response...

hag
04-05-2007, 11:39 AM
She had been lacerated from cloaca to about 8 scutes up...her lil ones were still in their places...I am not speaking as a herpetological-faith-healer, or any authority of any kind...But, we took that girl home; we blotted her wound w/ peroxide-water..put her in a shoe-box w/ only sterile rags...wet, w/ clean water (and salt...only a minute amount to the water..enough to deterr bacteria, enough to soften the water to stay warm amidst ectotherms)...Her health progressed wildly..But, her lil' ones were ready now too...She started convulsin' w/ live birth...and them lil' ones weren't gonna wait 4 the tear ta heal..and they came out, where they could...two out of the 8 were still-born..but, all of them came out in different phases of dissolving-egg-sack,and in different paths..My Mother held the mama's head up,it was evident now that she received the laceration from a bicycle tire, or a riding-mower, or a vengeful boot...Her babies stayed close to her for a few hours..she passed within minutes of the last one pushing it's tongue to taste the air...But, had it not been for her labour,her broken back, and her physical trial...I'm pretty sure she woulda been fixed in those clean, warm rags...

Sid
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Welcome to the forum and cudo's for your efforts with the Mama Garter. At the moment I'm trying to nurse a Northern Water snake with a dislocated jaw. Happened from teenage boys trying to kill him with rocks.

Again, welcome,
Sid

adamanteus
04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
That's a harrowing tale! Welcome to the forum Hag.

Cazador
04-05-2007, 07:52 PM
You're story left me speachless Hag ;), but welcome to the forum.

Rick

Snaky
04-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the forum, what a story...

Stefan-A
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Nice story and welcome aboard. :)

Odie
04-08-2007, 02:45 AM
HI, Your a midwife now Hag.

drache
04-09-2007, 02:56 AM
Welcome to this forum, saviour of little snakes.
Good to meet you, Hag.

GarterGirl
04-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Welcome to the forum, hag.

abcat1993
04-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Teenage boys trying to kill a snake? Sounds like something a girl would do if you ask me (no offense, just that most teenage girls I know hate snakes).

suzoo
04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello and welcome Hag!
I rescued a garter from a dog last month, and he was almost chewed in half in one place, and had several puncture wounds as well. Now the puncture spots are about gone and his split is just a small healing scab. I am amazed at his fast recovery! I believe you're right, if she hadn't been gravid, you would have saved her.