PDA

View Full Version : Wild caught mice..

lokai99
04-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I was helpign a friend disassemble a chicken coop and we found a HUGE nest of pinkies/fuzzies...probably about 30 in all. I would have just left them in the nest,but the whole pen was being torn down...nowhere for them to stay. My Cali King is a VERY picky eater and only eats pinkies to hoppers, he refuses everything else. These are perfect size for him, but I don't wanna load him with parasites......if these pinkies were frozen for a few days would it be safe enough to feed or is it still just too high of a risk?

lokai99
04-03-2010, 04:54 PM
The only reason I am entertaining this idea ...is that these are pinkies and fuzzies...even this young is the parasite load going to be too great even if frozen?

jitami
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd freeze them and use them, but it's really your call whether you want to risk it or not. btw, I'd freeze for a minimum of two weeks, not days.

guidofatherof5
04-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Please keep this in mind, the pinkies may have been feeding off of the mom but the older mice may have been out feed on their own.
Mice will eat anything and freezing will not remove what is in their stomachs. That will end up in your snakes.
My opinion, ditch the mice.:)

Stefan-A
04-04-2010, 12:57 AM
It's always a gamble with wild animals. Then again, many of us use fish that either are wildcaught or come from fish farms.

gregmonsta
04-04-2010, 04:25 AM
As above ;).

Another possible problem I could see would be that the mice would taste too good .... turning your snake into a fussy eater.

lokai99
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I've got them in the freezer...the pinks that is. I think it's a fairly low threat...I know the adult mice stayed pretty much inside the chicken coop area feeding off of pelleted food and grains. If I don't use them for snake food...I'm sure the cat would love to play with pinkie popsicles.