PDA

View Full Version : April 2007 Photo & Caption Comments Thread

Cazador
04-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Let's make general comments about either the caption contest or the photo contest in this thread to cut down on the amount of chit-chat between contest entries. Have fun,
Rick

adamanteus
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow Stefan! Excellent shot!

Stefan-A
04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow Stefan! Excellent shot!
Thanks. Rick had already seen an edited version of it, though. ;)

abcat1993
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Great, why couldn't I have asked for a camera with good macro instead of zoom. That's me not thinking again, or thinking of taking pics of things like eagles while camping (not very often).

zirliz
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I wish my camera was better, that and that some of my snakes would sit still and let me take pretty pics of them :) do you need a really high mega pixal?
I'd make stars of them don't they understand?

Stefan-A
04-03-2007, 10:27 PM
High megapixels don't help that much, but bigger cameras always take better pictures. :p If you can easily fit it into a pocket, then it's not good enough.

And if it has a built-in phone, then don't bother at all. It's a phone with a camera function that can just barely compete with the worst of the low-end webcameras on the market. Except that I got my ancient Creative webcamera to take better close-ups.

drache
04-04-2007, 03:25 AM
I wish my camera was better, that and that some of my snakes would sit still and let me take pretty pics of them :) do you need a really high mega pixal?

my problem exactly
and my most attractive snakes are the ones who will least hold still
and the curiousity I love so much about them, makes their heads go out of focus

adamanteus
04-04-2007, 03:36 AM
I think Stefan is probably right about size being important.:D :o Lens size = lens quality. When I photographed the spiders earlier in this thread I had ideal conditions, bright sunlight, stationary subject etc. But even with my compact camera on macro and at maximum quality (5.1 MP). The resulting pictures just don't come up to scratch. I guess the way to get top notch close-ups, like Stefans, is to use a Digital SLR (with a larger lens than any compact can offer)....Oh, and no small degree of talent!;)

Stefan-A
04-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Panasonic DMC-FZ5. It's cheap but it's big (medium-sized, actually).

Cazador
04-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Holy smoke, Sid! Did you get a new camera? I think I liked competing against the old Sid better ;).

Otis Lee,
First, welcome to the forum! Perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself and the snakes you keep in the "Welcome Lounge?" Second, I think you submitted the same picture twice in the photo contest. If so, please feel free to submit a third picture, and I'll delete the second one. Cheers,

Rick

Sid
04-07-2007, 06:12 AM
No Rick, I didn't get a new camera. I used my son Jason's after we got home from a field herping trip and started to snap away a few random shot of my critters. I still had my old Sony.

Sid

LeapinLeo
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
nice picture, Cazador! That blue eye looks cool.

adamanteus
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Nice pictures Rick. You certainly have some lovely looking snakes!

LeapinLeo
04-15-2007, 06:31 PM
everyone has lovely snakes in my opinion!

Cazador
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Nice pictures Rick. You certainly have some lovely looking snakes!

Doesn't that second snake look like a zombie or something? I bet it'll draw a few comments/captions :). I was debating between another "nice" picture or something more provocative. Provocative won :D.

boeh
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
It's been a long time since my last post. Was and still am busy. Neverthless, it's time to give a sign from me :-) Hope all is / are going well. As I read and noticed, "we" had a member increase. It's going a lot on here - nice to see - but it don't make it easier to come along.

I have to congratulate Rick on his stunning concinnus.

Hope to find more time for a wise contriubtion next time.

Best,
Cyrill

adamanteus
04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Cyrill, Your infernalis is a pretty good looking snake too. I was just admiring the photo you posted in this month's competition. I must add infernalis to my wish list!

boeh
04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks James. If you would live close to me, I think we could find each other (I love Natrix sp.).

Cyrill

Cazador
04-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Cyrill,

Thanks for the kind words about my concinnus. It looks like your new infernalis is doing well and becoming very beautiful! I hope they all are. Did you ever buy the Ultraviolet decontamination system? Talk to you soon,

Rick

boeh
04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Rick

Yes, she and the other ones are doing fine. They're growing well and devour (do you use this word?) a lot of mice. Hope yours doing also well?

Actually I didn't get one right now. This is because the last infected one has been unbaned (I just don't know if I already talked about that here?). After a while she also gets sicker and then i decided to this step. :-( But I still think
about this method.

Have to talk about this another time.

Cyrill

Cazador
04-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi Cyrill,

Now that you mention it, I remember that you said you had to euthanize (kill to prevent suffering) that last snake. I'm eager to see more and more pictures of your awesome collection, though :). Best wishes,

Rick

P.S. Yes, we use the word "devour," and it seems very appropriate the way you used it ;). Glad you're back.

suzoo
04-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I wish my camera was better, that and that some of my snakes would sit still and let me take pretty pics of them :)

DITTO!!!!!! Gloria was the only one of my females that would hold still long enough for a shot! And Gerby was the only male, and even his are blurry!
I have a Sony 4.1 mega pixels Cyber-shot, and that means gibberish to me! Technology is beyond my grasp! I majored in biology. My husband just bought a new digital camera, and he hasn't even let me touch it yet (Like a kid with a new toy! lol), but it's a Cannon EOS Rebel XT 8 megapixel blah blah blah, so I told you all of that because all I want to know is...will it help me take better pictures of my snakes? :D

LeapinLeo
04-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I love the blue eyes!

Cazador
04-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Rhea,
I just have to say that I love the way you set up the photo of your two snakes (profile and "facial-shot") in the same picture. It looks like you took them to a photography studio, like Olin-Mills or something. As an admirer of great pictures, I have a request... can you make your pictures slightly larger? It's your own fault for taking such nice pictures :o. I just want to see them larger and closer :).

Cyrill,
It's just not fair to enter any portion of such a truely magnificent snake's body this contest. Since the theme is about close-ups of the head, I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate that snake (and all others that look like it) for "bending" the rules :D. Please send it to me immediately ;). Man, being a moderator is really tough!

All,
Just a reminder that there are only a few days left to enter new photos or make captions for this month's contests, and thanks to everyone who has participated so far. Best regards,

Rick

adamanteus
04-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Rhea,
I just have to say that I love the way you set up the photo of your two snakes (profile and "facial-shot") in the same picture. Rick

I thought that! Looks like a police "mug shot"! Excellent photo!:)

drache
04-23-2007, 04:17 AM
thanks for your kind words
I love that shot as well
I have no idea why my pics are so small
they're big when I import them
they shrink in transit
I've been pming with Jason about it, but he can't figure it out either
I've been referring to them as the incredible shrinking pics

btw Rick
I love the spooky pics
I almost posted one too

boeh
04-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Rick
:D That's how I looked after I read your posting. Thanks for your funny and pleasant words. Let's say it like that: we should either confiscate some snakes from each other....in a few years :cool:

I just made a picture for you (I think it should accomplish your requirements):

http://www.boeh.ch/foren/head_time.jpg

Nearly no body to see ;-) By the way, that's how those three welcome me.

Best,
Cyrill

Cazador
04-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Okay, I confess. I'm just dying for some infernalis. I'm on the waiting list with S. Felzer, so maybe in the near future, I'll leave everybody else alone ;). I really admire your infernalis, though.

Rick

boeh
04-25-2007, 04:11 AM
I hope for you that you get some this year. Didn't you want to buy a whole clutch? I thought, that I have read something like that some time ago.

Cyrill

Cazador
04-25-2007, 11:05 AM
All,
Jason is going to set up the polls tonight, so if anyone has any last minute pictures they'd like to submit, now is the time.

Cyrill,
I was looking for an entire clutch and would still buy one if it became available, but for now, I'll settle for a couple of Scott's infernalis.

Rick

Cazador
04-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi all,

Before next month's contests begin, I wanted to revisit one of the rules and see what the group concensus would be about limiting the number of photos that each person can submit. Our forum is growing, and we had 21 different people submit photos last month. What do you think about only allowing one photo entry per month?

The caption contest hasn't grown nearly as fast, so I don't think the number of entries should be limited at this point.

Rick

Snaky
04-26-2007, 12:06 PM
That is ok for me, it's on most of the fora like that and it's still fun to participate. So 1 photo is fine by me.

adamanteus
04-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I think maybe this is a good idea, now that so many people are entering the competition. Plus, I think everyone realizes when they post their pics that one is always superior to the other!:D

Stefan-A
04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
If it's necessary, then why not.

Another solution might be to be a bit more strict about pictures that don't fit the selected theme. There have been a few of those in the last couple of contests.

Edit: Counted about a dozen pictures that I personally wouldn't consider "close-ups of heads". Hate to whine about these things. :o

GarterGuy
04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeh, think that'd be fine to just limit the pics to just one per person.
Roy

Snaky
04-27-2007, 11:50 AM
If it's necessary, then why not.

Another solution might be to be a bit more strict about pictures that don't fit the selected theme. There have been a few of those in the last couple of contests.

Edit: Counted about a dozen pictures that I personally wouldn't consider "close-ups of heads". Hate to whine about these things. :o
Stefan is indeed right. Otherwise we wouldn't need a theme in the first place. Before the winner is chosen, the pics that don't qualify should be taken out. I know I won't be able to participate in some themes because of that, but I think it's only fair for those that do qualify for the theme.

adamanteus
04-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I have mixed feelings on this...sorry to be awkward.:o

Some of our members have primative camera equipment, some are very young, others just lack photographic experience. I think it would be a shame if people were exluded, after all the competition is just for fun, and this isn't a photography forum.

I think as long as the member is trying to achieve the subject, they should be allowed to participate. A close up for example, is a difficult subject for a child with a simple camera. It doesn't really matter if they are included, the quality entries will always win anyway.:)

Okay, if someone enters a picture which is clearly not on topic, it would be deleted. For example, I had to remove a very good entry this month, because it wasn't Thamnophis.

Let's be a little more tolerant of our less able photographers, and have some fun.:D

Stefan-A
04-27-2007, 01:29 PM
It feels to me that people try to participate with whatever they have on their hard drives, instead of participating with whatever they have on their hard drives that fits the theme. I admit I might be a bit too competitive at times, but it sort of takes the fun out of it when there's no point in following the rules.

Let's face it, not everybody has to participate every month, I'm still waiting for mating/birthing themes and I know I won't be able to participate that month. Who knows how many themes there are that I can't participate in just because I don't have (or I am unable to take) a suitable picture. Skills and equipment only let you take a high quality picture, but it won't create the opportunity.

Had to dig up one of my own quotes from the very first contest:

"And I just want to add that when you vote (wait for the poll http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../images/smilies/wink.gif ), vote for the one you like best. The skills of the photographer and the quality of the camera should be of lesser importance."

Cazador
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I think it just comes down to a matter of philosophy. At this point, I'd rather promote participation and encourage participation than to exclude anyone who falls short of my arbitrary standard.

At any given time, I could probably go through this month's entries and say that a particular photo qualifies or doesn't qualify. Jason, James, and Fons might disagree with my opinion, and I might even have a different opinion an hour later, depending upon how strict I want to interpret the theme. Since the term "close-up" is subjective, I think deleting some of the entries would just promote arguements about which pictures actually qualify. I'm sure that if three people independently reviewed all of the photos, at least one would disagree about which photos qualify.

My philosophy is that as long as people adhere to the "spirit and intent" of the theme, their picture should qualify. Yet, I don't run the forum... just contribute my opinion equally with everyone else. As always... majority rules.