PDA

View Full Version : Prepping wood items

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Since my enclosures are large I would like to put some large wooden items(logs,bark) inside. My problem is they are too big for the oven or microwave. I don't think soaking is the way to go.
Any suggestions would be great.

Stefan-A
03-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Build a sauna. :D

infernalis
03-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Get a larger oven. ;)

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 04:45 AM
I have a host of friends. Always giving good, solid advise. You know, just like the old saying. "A friend in need is a friend in deed".
Wow, I don't know what to say. Thanks guys:D
JERKS:D

drache
03-24-2010, 04:54 AM
I've had the same problem
I've soaked stuff in the tub in a chlorhexidine or bleach solution, showered it off and dried it hanging from the shower curtain rod
seems fine

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks RHEA!,
Finally a solution(no pun intended) with some merit.:D My concern was with the wood soaking up any chemical.
Any thoughts on using Provent-a-mite on it. I don't have any and have never used it but have heard mostly positive things about it.

Stefan-A
03-24-2010, 05:07 AM
But you said no soaking. :(

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 05:19 AM
But you said no soaking. :(

For lack of any feasible ideas, I may have to soak. I just had my reservations about doing it.
I'd like to do this without any chemicals, if possible.

infernalis
03-24-2010, 05:35 AM
A powerful UV lamp??

Seems like it should work, UV is used to sterilize medical equipment and purify water, so why not wood?

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 05:47 AM
A powerful UV lamp??

Seems like it should work, UV is used to sterilize medical equipment and purify water, so why not wood?

My only concern would be the lights ability to penetrate the wood surface and reach all the nasties.

gregmonsta
03-24-2010, 06:39 AM
This looks like a valid method ;) - http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/364297-alternative-branch-treatment.html

drache
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks RHEA!,
Finally a solution(no pun intended) with some merit.:D My concern was with the wood soaking up any chemical.
Any thoughts on using Provent-a-mite on it. I don't have any and have never used it but have heard mostly positive things about it.
provent-a-mite will also work, and I've done that once
you would do that in a box or some kind of enclosed space - even the enclosure you'll be using
provent-a-mite is toxic - you don't want to ever accidentally inhale that stuff
so I put whatever I'm treating in a box out in the sun porch; I take a deep breath, spray, close the lid, and walk out of the room for air
once it's dry and settled it's okay

jitami
03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey Steve, how about getting the kids involved and build a solar oven? The temp doesn't need to be very high to kill everything, so I don't see why a solar oven wouldn't work?

btw, I soaked large pieces, but it was a bit of a pain.

mustang
03-24-2010, 10:58 AM
cut log into small sections then bake it to kill off parasites ect. then glue it back together when its all been cooked...little late tho i see

infernalis
03-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Or just do all of the above and be really really sure that everything is dead.

Charis
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
There was a post about a lot of the ways to disinfect items on another forum I'm a member of. Something on there might help you.
http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27341&highlight=alcohol

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
There was a post about a lot of the ways to disinfect items on another forum I'm a member of. Something on there might help you.
http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27341&highlight=alcohol

Thanks for the link.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-24-2010, 04:35 PM
haha I am amazed nobody ever thinks of this: just stick it in the freezer!!! That will effectively kill creepy crawlies :D

drache
03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
if it's too big for the oven, it wouldn't fit into my freezer

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
if it's too big for the oven, it wouldn't fit into my freezer

ahh, that could pose a problem if one does not have a chest freezer!

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I have one piece I can fit in the oven but I'll have to gut the oven it to get the job done. The other piece is about 4 feet long.

jitami
03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
cardboard, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, and at least one of the five kids ;)

ConcinusMan
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Geeze, that's big stuff. A nice piece for a 20 gallon long or a 10 gallon is easy for me to find around the local waterways. I like fir anchor roots. They are very woody, have a nice shape, little or no bark and nature has already taken care of the curing for me. This stuff has been floating in the water then bleached in the sun for who knows how long.

I use it right out of the wild and never had a problem. I give a good scrubbing but it can't hurt to boil it either. I don't like what an oven can do to the wood if it is truly to get hot enough to kill nasties. Freezer does no good. Doesn't kill a lot of things including fungus spores. Scalding takes care of that.

A piece of this safe wood can be seen on the right in this tank. Certainly, much larger naturally cured wood can be found like this in my area and it is nasties-free as long as it's old and a bit sun bleached.

This moss is great too. No nasties to speak of, it stays alive with regular misting or looks great dead too. It's just like laying a rug down. Never had ill snakes or any pests using this stuff for 25 years or so. Amy loves to hide under it when it's a bit damp. Works dry too!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5055/gedc1021.jpg

Sonya610
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one. Have some yard branches that WILL fit into the oven. How high for how long? Googling seems to have a lot of different answers.

Washed them off with the hose, these branches do have some cracks in them and some lichten (sp) on the outside which I like. Should I wrap in foil for the oven? Don't want an oven fire.

Oh and what is the preferred method of binding them together? Is wire okay if the ends are well tucked and not sharp?

guidofatherof5
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I use 200 degrees for a few hours.

Sonya610
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I use 200 degrees for a few hours.

Thanks. I like that answer.

Some other answers that came up said 350 for 15 minutes and such, that seemed like a fire risk while NOT ensuring everything inside the wood was dead.

ConcinusMan
04-26-2011, 01:54 PM
If you can fit your wood into a microwave, I prefer to do that. All the killing power with less heat/fire risk.

BLUESIRTALIS
04-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I bet you could put a hot shot no pest strip and the wood in a big trash bag and seal it off for a couple of days.

Sonya610
04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
If you can fit your wood into a microwave, I prefer to do that. All the killing power with less heat/fire risk.

Yeah but I don't use a microwave (and these would be too big for most microwave ovens anyways).

Any ideas on "best practices" or maybe "don'ts" regarding binding/securing them are appreciated, I am creating a basking spot and don't want them falling over. I know tape is bad.

Charis
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Most craft stores sell plastic coated wire, that works well for what you want. Then you can put a drop of hot glue on the ends of the wire, to seal any sharp points.

ConcinusMan
04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah but I don't use a microwave (and these would be too big for most microwave ovens anyways).

Any ideas on "best practices" or maybe "don'ts" regarding binding/securing them are appreciated, I am creating a basking spot and don't want them falling over. I know tape is bad.

Then soak them in scalding water, then follow up with the suggestion that Steve gave you. I can't suggest any "binding" or "securing" methods. I only use wood pieces in such a way as to not require any binding or securing and I've only used sun-bleached, naturally cured wood. (river/creek drift wood)

guidofatherof5
11-13-2011, 11:01 PM
My problem of prepping large wood item is over.
I will simply spray them with Provent-A-Mite.
Problem solved. No bugs will survive.

Stefan-A
11-14-2011, 02:02 AM
What about bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa?

katach
11-14-2011, 02:15 AM
We put ours in the dishwasher on pots and pans setting three times (no soap). Then put them in an over for a little while to dry them.

dieselbaby
11-14-2011, 05:25 AM
what bout putting it in a deep freeze. or a big plastic bag and some car exhaust that should kill anything lol or what bout a bonfire and heating rocks get the wood wet and place on really hot rocks, would possibly boil out the nasties. i know you dont want to soak but what about a 45 gallon drum filled with water and heated from the bottom to boil the water then place the objects inside. ummmmm picking my brain......what about a natural bug repellent like crysanthimum oil or similar. wrap in tinfoil and bake in a bonfire, thats all i can think of right now lol

dieselbaby
11-14-2011, 05:26 AM
i guess i should have read to the end lol

Tlaka
12-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I think the UV lamp is a goooood idea a powerful one use to sterilize lab material or water, dont worry about penetration, we use it in the lab for a lot of things, and also remember the proper temp to sterilize is 115°C for 15 minutes or 25 lb/ft^2 of pressure for 15 minutes, there are some mite-off products that are not dangerous and you can apply them directly to the enclosure or animal, the one i know is called reptilian clean and hygiene. :)

ConcinusMan
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
That's what I was saying about choosing wood. If I collect wood from outside, I use heavy hardwood pieces that have been well bleached in the sun for years, and show no signs of holes (bug infestations) or rot. Never had any problems. The UV from the sun is a powerful sterilizer.