PDA

View Full Version : compatable plants

chemgrl08
03-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi all. I am new to the forums and I searched this topic but didn't find quite what I was looking for.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with certain plants in garter snake terrariums. A lot of people just talk about mites, and I understand that it is a problem that should be dealt with, but with this post I'd like to know what types of plants people use in their garter terrariums.
I am working on a new terrarium and want to get it set up before I get the snake. I have found a lot of helpful info at http://www.stormthecastle.com/terrarium/terrarium-plants.htm and wondered if anyone could concur with his plant choices. You may also have seen the terrarium article in this month's issue of Reptiles magazine. Based on that info, I have chosen a pothos and an arrowhead. I also picked up a pilea mollis (aka moon valley) because it is also a low light house plant. Finally, I want to get an herbaceous plant such as basil or mint.
It seems to me that a garter won't really bother the plants, just climb on them, and for that reason there should be a lot of latitude in what I can put in there. Any suggestions? Glaring problems? Thanks in advance.

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

mustang
03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
welcome...im not sure if it would be better to go for the more pricy fake plant that never dies alternitve...you wont have to water it and you wont pull weeds round it so it will grow...make sure if you do get a fake to know what its made of ...some plaxtics that are hazzardus(to childrenunder 3 :D couldnt resist) due to the type of plastic or whatever material its made of. real plants are harder to keep thats pretty much all i can recall bout that topic

gregmonsta
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Greetings :D

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I prefer fake plants due to sanitary and lighting issues but I do actually have a varigated spider plant in with Jewels and I place the 15 watt florescent right over it so the light is not so intense in her basking area on the opposite end of the tank, and the plant benefits. She seems to really enjoy abusing the plant and it's holding up well in spite of her size, weight and strength. (she's a big strong milk snake at 4 feet) Pothos would never hold up to her but should work for garters. I would use florescent lighting in addition to a basking spot regardless of plants but do that and pothos should be fine for garters. Make sure they are in their own pots filled with new, sterile potting soil and take them out to water them.

For larger setups with a fairly high ceiling, peace lillies do well too. They have very low light requirements and are very hardy.

I used pothos in a tall cylander viv for pacific tree frogs and kept them in nothing but 1/2 inch of water and the plants and frogs thrived. Kept the viv in a north facing window that received plenty of light, but no direct sun.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.finesseflorist.com/images/graphics/pothos.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.finesseflorist.com/Plants.html&h=378&w=400&sz=28&tbnid=ySSzFV_zLakJaM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpothos&usg=__YWfPTva_dEqnWSatySOWL2N124E=&ei=BcunS8UOgq6yA_XWwaID&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image&ved=0CBoQ9QEwBg

infernalis
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.thamfriends.com/mat.jpg

Odie
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi, from Oregon, chemgrl08 :)

Mommy2many
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Welcome from Connecticut. I was using live pothos and switched to silk because I was getting buggies and I don't like buggies.

guidofatherof5
03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm going to try pothos without soil. Circulated water for the roots. The plants get a soapy water bath and water rinse first to take care of any bugs.

ConcinusMan
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
When I used them they were good sized cuttings that took root in water. They never were in soil. I think it's probably OK to take them out once in a while and let them sit in a weak solution of a well balanced water soluble fertilizer for a day and give them a foliar feeding. This should take care of their nutrient needs and once it's absorbed all that is needed is a good rinse and they can go back in. Pothos is one of those plants that can tolerate sitting even in deoxyenated water without too many problems but if it's circulating and oxygenated, that's even better.

In a vivarium situation, keep them on the cool end away from basking lamps or heat pads. They do pretty well with just low ambient light and 60-90 degrees.

Sometimes, when using potting soil, you can get soil gnats or other little soil "buggies". They are annoying but usually do no harm.

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 06:52 AM
did you say its ok to put spider plants in the tank? cus iv got loads and my tank is abit empty of entertainment
peace xx

guidofatherof5
09-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure about that plant but another concern is the soil. Soil can harbor parasites. Some pre-potted plants can also come with fertilizer in the soil.
Live plants are great but plastic can be removed and cleaned very easily and don't have the other drawbacks.
According to this website it is a non-toxic plant if that was one of your concerns.
Toxicity of Common Houseplants (http://lancaster.unl.edu/factsheets/031.htm)
Just something to thing about.

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
ah on that note of parersites i put a load of peices of wood in the tank from the gardon and was worryed for a while that i should hav cleaned them but my snake is fine so do you think her amune sistem is goodenuf to deel with soil thats in the plant pot at the moment? out of the same garden as the wood and no fertalizer atorl
peace xx

guidofatherof5
09-07-2010, 07:43 AM
ah on that note of parersites i put a load of peices of wood in the tank from the gardon and was worryed for a while that i should hav cleaned them but my snake is fine so do you think her amune sistem is goodenuf to deel with soil thats in the plant pot at the moment? out of the same garden as the wood and no fertalizer atorl
peace xx

There is no way for any of us to make that call.

It is always a roll of the dice when you introduce anything from outside.
Baking the wood or rocks will kill any parasites, bugs, etc.
I bake wood for an hour at 220 degrees. Many times I forget it's in there and it bakes for hours.

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 07:46 AM
ok wat if its too big to fit in the oven would hair drying it help or would it still bee better to cut it in half and bake it?
peace xx

mustang
09-07-2010, 07:47 AM
if u need a waterplant the evil petco stores sell water lilly bulbs in packs of 3. mine have flourished (all but one atleast)

guidofatherof5
09-07-2010, 07:53 AM
ok wat if its too big to fit in the oven would hair drying it help or would it still bee better to cut it in half and bake it?
peace xx

Forget the hair dryer. The wood needs sustained heat.
You'll probably have to cut the wood down.

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 08:01 AM
ok last coment dosent mater i desided to wack them in the ovan and boil the rocks anyway better safe than sorry
peacexx

guidofatherof5
09-07-2010, 08:05 AM
ok last coment dosent mater i desided to wack them in the ovan and boil the rocks anyway better safe than sorry
peacexx

Rocks can go in the oven also. Cuts down on the mess and cleanup.

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 09:44 AM
all done now and she loves it climing around loads :)
havnt seen sid this lively in ages
thank you for your help
peace xx

guidofatherof5
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
thank you for your help
peace xx

Happy snakes = Happy pets(humans):D

DangerMouse
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
hehe yup :)

ConcinusMan
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
thank you for your help
peace xx

Yeah, garters and ribbons are naturally inquisitive and curious. Any time I move anything, add anything or just get inside for maintenance, the snakes keep getting in my way because they have come and investigate everything. That's probably what's going on with your snake right now.

DangerMouse
09-08-2010, 04:58 AM
yeah they do love to explor but allso dont like to much change from wat i've notist.
peace xx

ConcinusMan
09-08-2010, 05:39 AM
That depends on what changes.;)

Mommy2many
09-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Everytime I clean my little snake's enclosure, I scrub down the wood, cause someone has inevitably pooped on it. Then I nuke it in the microwave for a few minutes. Comes out toasty warm and my slithery critters love it!

kibakiba
09-11-2010, 06:21 PM
That sounds like a cool idea, Le Ann! I might try that next time my little ones need a cleaning :D

Mommy2many
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Test it before you place it back in the enclosure to make sure it is not too hot.

kibakiba
09-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Of course I would, I don't want to harm my little loves, they mean so much to me :D