PDA

View Full Version : Still have an avatar issue

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Why is it so hard to change my avatar? I jump through this hoop, and that hoop and finally get one that is accepted only to get the message that the upload failed.

I went through this before. Why? Why does it have to be so daunting? I'm still not quite happy with it even though I get the message that it failed, it does change but I had to settle for mediocre results. I had one version that looked much better and was under 15kb and was 80x80. Forum wouldn't accept it. I don't get it. Seems like I have to ruin it to make it work.

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 03:41 AM
You must have upset the wizard inside your internets. ;)

Is there perhaps something iffy about the file format? I don't think the sizes necessarily matter, I think the ones I've used have all been automatically resized to fit 80x80 / 15k.

drache
03-22-2010, 03:48 AM
You must have upset the wizard inside your internets. ;)

Is there perhaps something iffy about the file format? I don't think the sizes necessarily matter, I think the ones I've used have all been automatically resized to fit 80x80 / 15k.
your computer is smarter than my computer
I've never had anything automatically re-sized

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 04:09 AM
your computer is smarter than my computer
I've never had anything automatically re-sized
I guess I'm just lucky. The avatar I just switched to was originally 765x765 / 206k.

User CP -> Edit avatar -> "Option 2 - Upload Image From Your Computer"

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Really? I wish it was that easy. I don't know photoshop but I have gimp which is a very powerful full featured photo editor but it's so darn complicated that it's difficult to figure out how to do the simplest thing, such as crop out a selection then make it comply with the avatar specs. It's a major pain. Then the dang forum won't take it unless I choose a file format that ruins the quality. Even then, I get the message that the upload failed even though it didn't.

I used the same method you used but it won't take it! what format did you use? (file type) I'm not happy with this one at all.

By the way Stefan, you are looking a bit pale and thin. You need to lay off the junk. JK. :p

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
.jpg, standard encoding. I'm using an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro.

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
When editing avatar this shows up "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller)."

So how the hello do you manage to upload an image that is 765x765 / 206k ??? It won't take it!

Nevermind, now I feel stupid. It worked. There's one sure way to know that it worked. When you get the message that the upload failed. D'OH!

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 12:37 PM
What browser are you using?

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Latest firefox. It's the forum that's giving me that message though.

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Latest firefox. It's the forum that's giving me that message though.
True, but the functionality of websites also vary between browsers. In this case the browser probably didn't do it, I'm using the latest Firefox, too.

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Perhaps my firewall is blocking some sort of communication, making the website think that the upload failed?

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Not impossible. :)

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Nope, that's not it. Let me try with IE and see what happens. Hmmm... nope, still does it. Oh well, it still works and my avatar does change.

Lovok
03-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Maybe one of the really nice, helpful forum moderators would upload the pic for you? ;)

My avatar attempts have always failed too, so don't feel stupid--you've plenty of company in those who can't change their avatars either. :p

Stefan-A
03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Maybe one of the really nice, helpful forum moderators would upload the pic for you? ;)
I would if I could, but you need to talk to the admin.

Lovok
03-23-2010, 10:48 AM
I would if I could, but you need to talk to the admin.

I always seem to confuse the moderators from the administrators. :eek:

Probably why I don't have an avatar! :D

ConcinusMan
03-23-2010, 10:58 AM
uh... you do now. You misunderstand. The pic uploads and it works. Stupid forum software still tells me the upload failed when indeed it did not. That's all I'm saying. No biggie since the outcome is good anyway. Oh hey, look. I'm an old and wise snake now. yippy. I could do without the "old" (I'm about to turn 40! :eek:) but I can live with wise. :p

infernalis
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with "old"

Age brings experience and prudence.

Stefan-A
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with "old"

Age brings experience and prudence.
If that only were a rule.

infernalis
03-23-2010, 11:36 PM
If that only were a rule.

That would be wishful thinking...

That is why MOST peoples insurance rates go down as they age, a 45 year old driver will for the most part not take the same risks as a 20 year old driver.

Banks are far more keen on loaning a middle age person money than a young person, Here in the US college loan default is at a very high rate.

jitami
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Here in the US college loan default is at a very high rate.

Total threadjack... but I'm thrilled to say that at least one of my kids will be going to school with NO student loans! WooHoo!!! (I'll take it to the Sssshhhhhhh... thread, so don't reply here :))