PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed for My Sick Puget!

Jack Neary
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Guys,
Just noticed one of my female Puget's looked a little thin. Upon a closer inspection, I noticed she is swollen approx. 3 inches behind her head in her forward body.
Additionally, she also looks like she is also swollen behind her clocia, with her tail being very thin, almost rat like... I can also feel her spine as she is too thin...
I do not brumate my Garter's and can't believe I missed this condition, which certainly did not evolve overnite... (I believe she was staying buried under her bedding for most of the winter)
Any ideas as to what is causing her swelling in her upper body and... behind her clocia, near the start of her tail.
Will try and find the camera to post pictures ASAP...
Thanks for any help!
Jack

guidofatherof5
03-16-2010, 10:05 PM
The front swollen area sound close to the heart location. I would be least worried about the tail since it's below her cloaca. A Vet. visit might be called for.
Is she eating? Pooping? Last shed?
A photo would be great but you might move on that Vet. visit if that's possible.
Keep us informed.

drache
03-17-2010, 04:50 AM
I've had a couple of my weaker garters die of upper respiratory infection in the past few months, and they were quite swollen in the lung area. The swelling developed over night, but they'd been not eating as they should, and getting thin before that

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-18-2010, 03:08 PM
it sounds a lot like a respiratory or digestive tract problem. Check her breathing. I know certain parasites, some particularly nasty ones, can cause the upper-mid boddy puffyness. I lost a schuett albino to the exact symptoms you are describing... his upper body was puffy and swollen, he was eating for a while, but not putting on weight, but then he stopped eating altogether. He was too thin, with a pronounced backbone and a tail that was thin and floppy. When i held him he felt "loose" like his body would kind of jsut flop around in my hands... he didn't feel strong. His head took on a gaunt appearance as if he were starved... but he wasn't! My first thought when I noticed the swelling was respiratory, but then close observation of him showed he had no problems with his breathing... no extra saliva coming from his mouth... no bubbles, wheezing or gaping... and the fact that he had been eating but still losing weight pointed to parasite. But I lost him so quickly, I never got try and correct the issue.... good luck!!!

Jack Neary
03-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Shannon,
What causes respitory infections in Garters? How can I prevent them?
Thanks!
Jack

Stefan-A
03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Shannon,
Thanks!
Jack
Draft, poor ventilation, too high humidity, too low humidity, microbes, dust, weakened immune systems etc.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Shannon,
Thanks!
Jack
the best way to prevent reporatory infections is to keep your snakes clean, warm, dry, well ventilated, well fed and away from new arrivals!

mustang
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
watch this it will help
pJCnPfuqaBM
watch it all the way through it covers lots of common snake probs and tell how to avoid em(including respitory)
sorry its so late

ConcinusMan
02-27-2011, 09:43 PM
What the heck Robert? the thread is a year old. The snake probably died long ago if it ever was really sick.

guidofatherof5
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Old thread or not, the info. was still good to post Robert. Thanks;)

We can only hope the snake survived and is doing well.

mustang
02-28-2011, 04:24 PM
What the heck Robert? the thread is a year old. The snake probably died long ago if it ever was really sick.
look at the date of shannons post

ConcinusMan
02-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I did. March 20, 2010. OK, so the last post wasn't a year ago. It was 11 months ago.:rolleyes: Unless something screwy is going on with the dates.

Anyway... the OP is still active on the forum. Maybe we can get an update to find out what happened?

It's weird. The OP was active today but according to his profile, he hasn't posted since this thread and that post is dated, like I said, 11 months ago. At least that's what I'm seeing.

Jack Neary
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Guys,
Sorry to report my sick Puget had passed after I had posted this last year. Really don't know what happened?
Jack

Mommy2many
02-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear that.:(

ConcinusMan
02-28-2011, 06:37 PM
That's the problem with snakes sometimes. By the time you notice anything wrong, it's usually too late. Sorry to hear about it. Thanks for the update.

guidofatherof5
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry for your loss. There was a hard drive problem last year and some thread, posts, photos were lost.
It was probably at that time.

mustang
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
sorry to hear it