PDA

View Full Version : can i keep a common garter snake on plantion soil

eddospeeples
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Ok so i have a 15q tub that im gonna be putting a common garter in and i wanted to know if i could use plantion soil

Holly
03-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I would think it would be okay. That's what I'll be switching my guy over to once we move and get him a proper tank. I would be wary of feeding on it though as he could ingest some.

eddospeeples
03-16-2010, 04:35 PM
im gonna be feeding in a different tank how big do they have to be to eat a pinky

guidofatherof5
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
im gonna be feeding in a different tank
how big do they have to be to eat a pinky

It all depends on what size pinkies you have. I use a lot of extra small(1-2 day old pinkies.) This means I can get some of my babies(3-6 months old) to start on pinkies sooner. I never feed anything that is more that 1/3 bigger than their head width.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Potting soil? I guess you could, but I wouldn't... It comes moist and will probably harbor a lot of bacteria. It's also going to come with unknown bugs and such living in it. Then once it dries, it will be extremely dusty, which is VERY bad for the respiratory tract of your snake. But you would need to let it dry because your snake can't be in moist dirt all the time. That will give him scale rot. Many potting soils also are made with chemicals and such in them, and even if they say they are not... you just don't know what's really in it, because it's such cheap stuff... and for putting plants in. I would recommend against it.... potting soil is for plants. Get some aspen shavings, (no pine or cedar!) repti-bark, coconut fiber (this is very similar in looks to potting soil but it's clean) newspaper, newspaper pellets, wood pellets, carefresh, cage-carpet... anything but sand... cat litter... (or potting soil!)

Holly
03-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Ah, I thought plantation soil was the same as cocofibre. That's what I have for my geckos and was going to switch my snake over to.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Ah, I thought plantation soil was the same as cocofibre. That's what I have for my geckos and was going to switch my snake over to.
Coconut fibre is the husk of a coconut all ground up... it's not made of anything "soily"... therefore making it a great and clean alternative!

Spankenstyne
03-18-2010, 01:29 AM
It is the same thing, it's just an unfortunate name Exo-Terra branded the stuff with. At least the stuff we get out here is, if you look at bag it should say it contains coconut husk.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
the potting soil we get here is not coconut husk, and doesn't say that it contains it either. I can also see other things in it, of unknown origin. So I will continue to stick with an alternative I know is safe here.

Holly
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Ah yes, i have the Exo-Terra stuff and it does indeed say it is just coconut husk though the package is labeled as plantation soil. Weird.

Spankenstyne
03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
the potting soil we get here is not coconut husk, and doesn't say that it contains it either. I can also see other things in it, of unknown origin. So I will continue to stick with an alternative I know is safe here.

"Plantation Soil" I mean, not potting soil.

Yeah I'd also steer clear of potting soil with unknown stuff. It's more the fertilizers & additives I would be worried about than anything. If you get fertilizer & additive free stuff many folks have used it successfully.
Lotsa ways of keeping these awesome snakes but if something's already working really well for ya why change up?

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Plantation soil? Never heard of it. what the heck is that?! lol!

I thought that by plantion soil, he meant potting soil... maybe I was off a bit on that one... haha! I have never heard the term plantation soil in my life!

drache
03-20-2010, 09:12 AM
there - it's the same stuff as coir, or compressed coconut fiber - just another fancy name
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2275

infernalis
03-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Potting soil? I guess you could, but I wouldn't... It comes moist and will probably harbor a lot of bacteria. It's also going to come with unknown bugs and such living in it. Then once it dries, it will be extremely dusty, which is VERY bad for the respiratory tract of your snake. But you would need to let it dry because your snake can't be in moist dirt all the time. That will give him scale rot. Many potting soils also are made with chemicals and such in them, and even if they say they are not... you just don't know what's really in it, because it's such cheap stuff... and for putting plants in. I would recommend against it.... potting soil is for plants. Get some aspen shavings, (no pine or cedar!) repti-bark, coconut fiber (this is very similar in looks to potting soil but it's clean) newspaper, newspaper pellets, wood pellets, carefresh, cage-carpet... anything but sand... cat litter... (or potting soil!)

I agree fully, Bagged dirt is not an ideal substrate.

ConcinusMan
03-20-2010, 08:57 PM
It is the same and is fine for garter snakes. "Plantation soil" is just coconut fiber substrate.
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/img/shop/original/exoterra_plantationsoil.jpg

infernalis
03-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Now I feel stupid as heck.

ConcinusMan
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I didn't know either till just now. Never heard of it. I thought we were talking about dirt from a cotton field.

infernalis
03-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Funny thing, Zoo Med calls theirs "Eco Earth" and I use a ton of it.

Holly
03-20-2010, 10:45 PM
It is the same and is fine for garter snakes. "Plantation soil" is just coconut fiber substrate.
http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/img/shop/original/exoterra_plantationsoil.jpg

Yup, that's the stuff. I buy the big 3 brick pack.

Spankenstyne
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
You can get the same stuff a lot cheaper at places like Home Depot, usually labelled as "Beats Peat" or some other name. The garden centers of those kinds of stores will have it. It's the same thing but in bigger bricks for a lot less money, it just hasn't been re-branded and marked up for the pet trade. Canadian Tire also has a different brand as well for those of us in the Great White North

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Funny thing, Zoo Med calls theirs "Eco Earth" and I use a ton of it.

Same here. It's not very cheap either.

Thanks for that info about home depot. I'll have to check it out.

infernalis
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I get it from a store called easypet, it's cheaper than any other substrate from them, and it ships well since it is a brick.

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Oh wow. I just received 2 digital thermometers from easypet! Went through amazon.

infernalis
03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I will look, I have been using their ebay store.

Flat rate $10 shipping, so I abuse it.

aSnakeLovinBabe
03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
wow, and here i thought he meant potting soil. Never heard of plantation soil before now!

But still... don't use potting soil!!! :D

ConcinusMan
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Not even temporarily. Bad stuff. Newspaper works fine in a pinch but don't use potting soil or any dirt for that matter.

When I first adopted Jewels she was on dry potting soil. It didn't smell good, it was very dusty and she kept making sneezing noises. It was definitely irritating her respiratory tract. It took about a month off of that stuff for her to clear up.

infernalis
03-21-2010, 11:09 PM
I have used plain soil from outside, but I planted grass in the cage so it was quite nice actually.

It's hard to maintain, so I don't bother anymore, substrate is cheap enough. Or in a real pinch newspaper, paper towel, an old tee shirt, all work.

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
An indoor lawn for your garters. Now that's different. But still, think clean and dry. Coconut fiber (plantation soil) is an excellent choice, looks natural, and is good for the snakes. Resists mold, bacteria, etc. but still looks like natural earth. Its also absorbent and feces are easy to clean out since it clumps.

It's no problem at all to keep it damp part time (I do that on the cool side) and it wont mold or grow bacteria if you are diligent about cleaning out feces regularly. Always use your nose and smell the tank daily. There should be no foul smell or urine smell. If there is, you need to spot clean, or replace all of it.

Like I said, try to keep it dry but this is a good material if you need to keep part of the tank moist. It won't mold unless it's fouled by excrement.

Newspaper, paper towel, old tee shirt, or even a Shamwow is better than anything from outside. Dirt is dirt. Ever wonder where dirt gets it's taste and smell? mold and bacteria. Don't use it. Don't eat it either. :p

infernalis
03-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Yeah, but think about this, who spot cleans the vivs in nature??

They live on dirt everywhere but in captivity.

Now if someone would just make a tiny little lawn mower.

drache
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Dirt is dirt. Ever wonder where dirt gets it's taste and smell? mold and bacteria. Don't use it. Don't eat it either. :p
not to start a big argument or anything, but as long as dirt hasn't been fouled up by humans adding chemicals, it's actually really good stuff
there are a number of special dirts that are used for healing, and even the ordinary kind has been shown to contain some kind of microbe or enzyme that reduces depression, which explains why digging in the dirt makes people feel better

Stefan-A
03-22-2010, 08:43 AM
there are a number of special dirts that are used for healing, and even the ordinary kind has been shown to contain some kind of microbe or enzyme that reduces depression, which explains why digging in the dirt makes people feel better
I'd very much like to see some studies regarding that.

drache
03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
it was something I remembered reading about, and at this point I doubt they have any hard facts, but in any case - google can find it
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/raw-data-is-dirt-the-new-prozac
the "special" dirts I was referring to are along the line of different kinds of clay that are used in skin and gut care

ConcinusMan
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I used to like dirt until I worked for the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs at Willamette National Cemetery. I won't get into the details, I'm sure you can imagine.

mustang
03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
what about soil u can buy at petstores that are made for reptiles? iv givn up on that dreamm of a cage i was hopn for caus i relized it aint gonna happen....so i was wondering if petdirt is ok....and i found the main peice of the terrarium to center it around it looks really cool petsoil might be this http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752443&keepsr=0&clickid=body_rv_txt

ConcinusMan
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Good! I use fir bark (reptibark) and "plantation soil" together. That ^^^ is the same thing!
I'd very much like to see some studies regarding that.
Studies? we don't need no stinkin' studies. :D we got thousands of years of results throughout history (mud baths) Studies did identify one ingredient for sure- Lithium salts. Now used for bipolar disorder. Works too, I might ad. Look that up and you'll find out where those salts are found in nature. The soft drink 7Up (http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/7Up/), originally named "Bib-Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda", contained lithium citrate until it was reformulated in 1950. It made people feel "up" as in, not depressed.