PDA

View Full Version : Iv just been lunged at

dannyj
04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Iv just been changing the water of my garters and found to be lunged at by one of them.

They was only fed yesterday and iv only got fish available today and its frozen.......

zirliz
04-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Mine do that cheeky buggers

Stefan-A
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I just got lunged at for the second time by my female. It has always been impossible to handle, but recently it has been showing signs of aggression.

Any suggestions on how to move an "aggressive" garter? :D I'd use a hook if I thought it could be controlled with one.

Gyre
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I've had wild garters do that.. but not any I've kept. That would get old really fast.:p

Uh, good luck with all your little spitfires. :D

mikm
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Rubber (latex) gloves ... I used to keep Similis and one young male would flat out attack me for all he was worth every time I went to fetch him. He would bite me, holding on chewing and grinding his jaws into me while I strolled over to the sink to run cold water over his head until he released his hold. :eek: This did get 'old', lol. Apparently the taste of latex was less desireable then his 'need' to gnaw on me and he did stop chewing on me even when I did not wear the gloves. Every so often I would have to wear the gloves again to 'remind' him but it did work pretty well ...

best wishes ...
marian

Cazador
04-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Did you happen to notice whether it was an open or closed mouth "strike?" It just suggests a difference between intimidation/bluff and real agression. Marian offers a pretty neat trick that is said to work pretty well. Here's another:

When I have "agressive" snakes, I fill the bathtub with about an inch (3cm) of warm water (~90F/32C) and let the snake swim around for about a minute. Then I place my hand in the water and let the snake swim to me so that it can rest on my hand. After it has rested for about 20-30 seconds, I remove my hand and let the snake swim around for another 20-30 seconds before putting my hand back in the water. Since you're the only resting spot, it starts to associate you with security. You might have to let the snake rest longer as you continue this routine, but they'll calm down.

This trick won't solve the problem forever after the first attempt, but they'll calm down after a few more attempts. With that said, sometimes one of my snakes still does a bluff strike (with her mouth closed) once in a while, but I haven't been bitten in quite a while.

Rick

Stefan-A
04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
In my case, the first lunge was open mouth (I saw pink when it came at me anyway), the second time I didn't notice which it was.

Still don't have a bathtub, Rick. ;)

Nova89
04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Did you happen to notice whether it was an open or closed mouth "strike?" It just suggests a difference between intimidation/bluff and real agression. Marian offers a pretty neat trick that is said to work pretty well. Here's another:

When I have "agressive" snakes, I fill the bathtub with about an inch (3cm) of warm water (~90F/32C) and let the snake swim around for about a minute. Then I place my hand in the water and let the snake swim to me so that it can rest on my hand. After it has rested for about 20-30 seconds, I remove my hand and let the snake swim around for another 20-30 seconds before putting my hand back in the water. Since you're the only resting spot, it starts to associate you with security. You might have to let the snake rest longer as you continue this routine, but they'll calm down.

This trick won't solve the problem forever after the first attempt, but they'll calm down after a few more attempts. With that said, sometimes one of my snakes still does a bluff strike (with her mouth closed) once in a while, but I haven't been bitten in quite a while.

Rick

That is such a good thing to try. I have to try it cuz my garter always strikes at me when I go to pick it (he/she idk) up. 85% of the time it is a closed mouth strike. It is really getting old because it stops me from getting to have time out for it. Any other suggestions people.

adamanteus
04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
With aggresive snakes I normally just "neck" them. That is hold them gently but firmly directly behind the head, whilst supporting their body weight with the other hand.

abcat1993
04-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Mine did the open mouth strike once, when I first caught him. Never again after that, although I would much prefer it over musking.

Stefan-A
04-02-2007, 02:29 PM
With aggresive snakes I normally just "neck" them. That is hold them gently but firmly directly behind the head, whilst supporting their body weight with the other hand.
Can't get close enough. :D It takes off before I can reach it.

zirliz
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
My digits is all fine until you try to take him from the tank then he's gone like a bullet!

GarterGuy
04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
LOL...I wish my little Petra would just "lunge" at me. She usually just latches on and I have to use a spray bottle to get her to let go. I think she must be a reincarnated python or something....she keeps thinking she can eat me! LOL:D

KITKAT
04-04-2007, 08:21 AM
LOL...I wish my little Petra would just "lunge" at me. She usually just latches on and I have to use a spray bottle to get her to let go. I think she must be a reincarnated python or something....she keeps thinking she can eat me! LOL:D

AW! You're probably just sweet!:o

RedSided
04-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Heres a trick that I use, it may take a while, when you want the snake out of the cage just open the door slightly ,perhaps tap something to let the snake know you are doing something and then rather than lunging your hand into the cage(because thats how your little buddy sees it) try leaving the palm of you hand at the opening and let the snake smell you first.
What could have happened is that the snake has started ascosiating your hand lunging in there with feeding time.So whether or not you have food he/she will automatically get exited( as garters are notorious for at feeding time) and lunge for anything thats moving, your hand included.

It could just be that you spooked the snake by raising you hand above it, many take it as a challange and strike out others hiss,flatten or dart all over the place trying to get away.

hope this helps;)

Gyre
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM

That's how I always used to catch most snakes, but I would get musked every single time.. So, now I avoid it even with wild snakes.. To me, a bite from a garter is better then stinking all day. :D With my luck, it's usually right before lunch, and I just can't eat anything.. Ew.

RedSided
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
mine rarely musks any more , she just huffs at me and twitches.:D

Stefan-A
04-11-2007, 01:31 AM
It's so cute when it's angry. My female just gave my hand a [less than] friendly bump and gave my sleeve a proper bite. :D

drache
04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
my snakes must be extra mellow
the only time I've ever gotten bit, was when I stuck my hand into the tank after I'd touched a pinkie