PDA

View Full Version : New Ranch Digs

guidofatherof5
02-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought I would repost this since it looks like it might be lost.
These are my new enclosures I built. They are built on a split design. They can be used as a 6 foot long or two 3 foot enclosures. I designed them to have a sliding glass partition. At this point I'm using them as doubles but will allocate a few full enclosures to some snakes in the future. This is half a unit. I'm still building the others. When I'm done I hope to have 8 new double enclosures. This will put an end to most of my aquariums and tubs. They will still be used for newborns and breeding.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/enclosure.jpghttp://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/little_dude.jpg

Stefan-A
02-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Pretty nice. :)

gregmonsta
02-17-2010, 02:47 AM
They look great Steve! :D

guidofatherof5
02-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Phase 1 of 3 is complete and I'm well into phase 2. Things seem to be working out well. No security breaches,yet. Hopefully I've covered all the escape routes.
All the snakes that have been moved seem content and are much more relaxed in these front opening enclosures.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/phase1.jpg

gregmonsta
02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Very nice indeed :D

drache
02-24-2010, 05:47 AM
really really nice

Mommy2many
02-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Very nice! Can you come to Connecticut and build me one too?:D

ConcinusMan
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Pretty cool but I can see some limitations to that design. I hope the front is screened(?) and there's no way to place a ceramic heat bulb or basking light above (that would require at least a partially screened top) but I suppose that wouldn't be an issue if you heated the entire room. I dunno. I like it, but I don't. Know what I mean?

I just prefer my all-glass slide-lock screen tanks. Now, a nice rack system to hold a bunch of those would be nice. I plan on doing that if I add just a few more tanks (that's inevitable).

guidofatherof5
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
yes, screen front, and bottom heat.

ConcinusMan
02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Whatever works for you. I dunno, I tried bottom heat for Jewels (supposedly they don't bask, and prefer bottom heat) and I tried it with Amy. They both seem to prefer to bask under a 40 or 60 watt heat emitter. Figures, it's cheaper to run the bottom heat. Still, I keep the 8 watt undertank heater on all the time, situated vertically between the slight gap between the two tanks. That provides a slighly warmed side glass panel for them to snuggle up to at night if they should choose to do so. It does get down to about 62-64 at night in their room this time of year.

I must say though, that is a nice job you did there on that setup. I would love to have something similar, but perhaps slightly different. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the way of a custom designed refrigerated brumation unit. (just throwing that idea out there) Could double as a salamander or frog habitat in the summer or a place to keep night crawlers when the snakes are not brumating. hmm...